New buick owner lookin for some info for buildup

Novacaine

Hi guys nice to meet everyone.
I recently purchased a 86 T-type with a couple mods, houston downpipe, ta-49, MSD 50's, walboro pump,precision fmic. Im used to building DSM's and Honda's so the buick is a new animal for me lol .
Anyway im looking for information on the best setup for pump gas for a 1/4 mile car. Ive purchased a alky kit and getting rdy to have a tranny Built, but before i do I want to decide on the turbo setup before i choose a converter, I just dont want to pull it out twice for basically no reason :) Engine is completly stock with 25k miles on it. Im going to build a engine later next year so I want everything rdy for the new engine but im just going to run it on the stocker for the time being. The turbo choice right now is my main concern Im lookin for info on heads cam etc. for later down the road.
A question i have for everone on turbo choice is someting that ive seen done with the dsm's and honda's lately. Most of the faster imports use one of two ways of gettin a good 1/4 et.
They either run a turbo with just enuf airflow to build the Hp ther looking for with this setup they run the best tire/suspension setup possible to control wheelspin for better 60' times.The other way ive seen it done is using a much larger turbo which actually willnot spool up just off the line to eliminate wheelspin and generate more topend Hp farther down the track. Any thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated :)

You want a matched combo. It all starts with a goal: How fast do you want to go? That site Neal posted is a must read for newbies. You've got enough hard parts to open up a big can of whoopass on 98% of the cars on the street.

To answer your question, turbo selection might in some way affect a 60' time but that sounds like ricer mentality/excuses. If components are properly matched then it boils down to (as you said) traction, suspension, and power. Ultimately it takes driver ability to make things work. There is an entire section on this board dedicated to just that (Drag Racing Techniques).

Decide on your ultimate goals and do many searches on this board for topics you want to learn. Get some tires and see how fast your car is now. You might be surprised to find you don't need to buy alot more stuff. Do buy a scantool and some gauges to protect and monitor your car.

Unless you want to get 10's - I'd leave the engine alone.

Mine has 105+ on the clock and clicks of 117+ in the 1/4.

I have a combo that is close to yours.

Jeremy

If it helps, a friend has a TR with a 49 that has run a best of 11.2. I also understand a very few have gone high 10s with a 49. Food for thought...

:D

Work on learning the car.#1 get a good scan tool and learn how to use it.

#2 get a good scan tool and know how to use it.

#3 get a good scan tool and learn how to use it

#4 how fast do you want to go??You have a combo that should get you to high 11's on the street.
And with tuning at the track mid to low 11's are a very good possibility.

Don't bother opening up the engine unless you want to add better flowing heads.There is nothing to look at in there anyway

Since you are new here are some basics.Turbo buicks like low revs and make tons of torque.A dsm you may want to rev high but not these.Most people shift at around 5000-5400 rpm's.

A lot of us have the car setup to do the shifting for us at these levels and just leave it in regular drive NOT OVERDRIVE!!(unless you like tranny rebuilds)

Which means that the stock gearing does not need changed!!
If running in the 12's or faster most people run a 27-28 inch tall tire or a 275/60/15.

Personally I would check the current turbo you have and as long as it doesn't have play in it would invest my money in some better heads.Unless youre's have already been ported by a Pro.

That would give you the most bang for the buck in my opinion.

Use Your Parts Wisely

You already have the parts installed to go fast. You just have to learn how to tune them. Follow what ONEFASTJACK said . No need to dig into a low mileage engine.

Thx guys i really appreciate support i plan on gettin the car into the 10's next year but i'd be happy with low 12's or so till i go thru the motor.

Picked up a scanmaster and installed it last night. Started some noobie reading on the GnTtype site (thx nasty ) found some very useful info ther.

Time to instally the alky kit this weekend and start tuning. Our local track opens for street fights on Tue. and Thur. nights thru the summer so i should get plenty of track time in over the rest of the year so hopefully by then i should have my combo figured out for the winter down time hehe

Thx again