Need your advice

buicktom61

Hello,

Today I did my first drive after restoration and upgrading my GN. Car ran great for the first time, but made some smoke on idle. Doesn't look like burning oil. It looked like running to rich on idle and on drive. No smoke on any driving condition. Fuel pressure with disconnected vacuum line on pressure regulator is 43 lbs and with 38. When I stop the engine the fuel pressure drops down to 20 lbs after a minute. Is it okay?
Is running rich normal with a TT chip or did I anything wrong when I rebuild the engine? Maybe I havn't the right timing for the cam sensor? You can see below what upgrades I have on the engine.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks Thomas

Your fuel pressure should not drop like oil pressure does at idle. It should be steady outside of boost. If you want to lean it out, with engine off, key on, pump the pedal once to the floor and turn off key. This puts the TT chip in closed loop. That may lean you out some. Normally TT chips are open loop and run rich. Give it a try. Check your fuel pressure with another gauge also unless your fuel pump is older and then it is probably time for replacement. To go back to open loop, just disconnect the orange ECM wire behind the battery for a moment and then reconnect. The chip will reset to open loop.

Fuel pump, pressure regulator, gauge and injectors are all new with less than 70 miles. Tomorrow I try with the closed loop.
Thomas

I don't make chips for TRE 60lb injectors, only Siemens 60lb injectors. I can't guarantee how it might run with those injectors.

It would have to be extremely rich to cause smoke, like an injector stuck open. Make sure it's not oil burning.

Thanks Eric. I am sure it isn't burning oil. You explained the thing with the TRE to me when I bought your chip. I will contact them, if they can exchange them for Siemens.
If not I will contact you.
Thomas

I would also double check the oil thing. In my experience, when I've seen smoke at idle, it ends up being turbo related (not all the time, but most of the time).

Yesterday I started for the second test drive. From the first moment I had no smoke anymore. Not on engine cold or warm. I don't know why.
Hope it will last longer.
Thomas