Need/wanted

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
#4 backing plate for forward clutch. .211-.228 thickness.
Also if you have an extra wavy plate (but that is a not critical for me)
I have a #5 and need more clearance.
LMK thanks forgive me posting a wanted ad in transmissions but this forum will have folks who are familiar with it.

Are you putting extra clutches in there? Are you using thick steels? I'm trying to imagine where you lost the clearance . And while I'm not a guru, I was made to think that the clearance on the forward clutch set isn't that critical,as it isn't a "shifting" clutch. It is only applied while the car is stationary so it is either on or off. Though I did use two "wavy " plates in there to lessen the "clunk" when you put it in gear.

I would setup the direct to get where you want it then use what is left for the forward set. Getting the correct clearance on the direct is way more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pwt
I went from the steel piston to the aluminum it has a different number of plates and frictions. The clearance is .020 - .030 I have .001

Might try swapping the "ring" one that piston with the one on the direct to gain some clearance.

I plan on taking the plate to the machine shop tomorrow and seeing if they can remove. 024-.026 to gain some clearance. I figured I try here to see if someone had one laying around. This is a slow project any how.