Need to install CA legal exhaust system

jmac80

Is there a kit / complete exhaust for an 87 that will pass CA smog or do I need to get one custom built? I just got car off CL and having it shipped from Bowling Green. Car has nothing after drop down.

Any advice greatly appreciated. First time on and first. Hi everyone. Excited about my car coming.... I've been wanting one for years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

You can get a nice 3” dual exhaust just make sure you get a catalytic converter. That is the piece that will make it legal for CA . So you don’t need to hunt down a stock exhaust or something like that .

I have good used original catalytic converter . Also have several new aftermarket high flow cats.
Have the used low mileage Y pipe if interested . Pics if interested
Austin

Thanks.... I wasn't super clear on what makes it legal. Especially since they have the new law as of January.

N2Buick, I'll get back to you about that parts, im gonna reach out to exhaust guy first.

Some smog shops will want to see an EO number stamped on cat, if it’s not a stock unit.

and if you. have a translator try to hide it they will fail you if they see it !! do you adjustable fuel pressure regulator , some guys turn down FP to pass

I just talked to a muffler shop and they told me I didn't need a cat in a car that old and that since muffler didn't effect emissions that they aren't required either.

Is this true? Seems wrong to me

go there and see if they pass you with what they said , if not its on them

Wow, even the people's republic of new york isn't that bad. 1995 and older is $10 safety inspection, no tail pipe crap. 1996 up with OBD-II has to be plugged into Albany's system and is $21.
By the way, you guys want cuomo and schumer?

Yeah that isnt making sense. California not wanting an emission test on a car that was built with a cat..?? I could believe a 68 chevelle or 56 Chevy not needing a emission test.

I'm gonna call another muffler shop..... Even if that can get it to pass, I'll be right back where I started in 2 years

The CA C.A.R.B Nazi's WILL NOT let you get away with no CAT or Muffler on any car that had one, the other or both as original equipment. Period.

Believe that.

If you are near Lake Forest, CA (or not) call Lou Czarnota, aka Turbolou here on the board and he will shoot you the straight poop on these cars and the CA emissions requirements.

He can be a li'l grumpy, don't let that put you off. ;)

He can also do the work and get it where you need it, if push comes to shove.........

Who you calling grumpy there are no laws dictating what you can run from the cat back from the cat forward all that belongs to the government. The converter Has to be a California approved with the correct part number on it. Most shops check for that. I would find a good used one probably a lot of them sitting under workbenches. Any car 75 or newer Has To be inspected in California.

Last edited:
Unless your car is bone stock it won't pass a CA emissions test. If you have the stock chip that helps a lot too. Turbotweak does make a smog chip that will help you with that if you need it. It is well worth the $80 if you don't have it.
You will need the catalytic converter, the EGR needs to be working properly. The passenger side valve cover breather needs to be hooked up to the turbo inlet and PCV needs to be working as well.

They will run a sniffer test on it too.

Lou is one of the few people that can get your car to pass it. I suggest you bring money and ask no questions.

Remember the Soup Guy in Seinfeld? Well we have the Buick Guy in Lou. No Buick For You!!!

Lou and I are anxiously waiting to see to what requirements there are in Texas for emissions as I am moving there at the end of this month. They have a vehicle inspection but not sure what it entails. I hope I don't have to change anything because Lou has my car running great as is. I also trust him 110% should I need to adjust anything to pass any test if there is any.

PS Yes, when dealing with the Master, always bring a suitcase of cash and ask no questions as Reggie has said.

I wonder if OP jmac80 ever got squared away...............

Lou and I are anxiously waiting to see to what requirements there are in Texas for emissions as I am moving there at the end of this month. They have a vehicle inspection but not sure what it entails. I hope I don't have to change anything because Lou has my car running great as is. I also trust him 110% should I need to adjust anything to pass any test if there is any.

PS Yes, when dealing with the Master, always bring a suitcase of cash and ask no questions as Reggie has said.

Should be only Safety inspection in Texas for our TR's. At one time we had emissions tests in my area but it's been gone for a while now.

Should be only Safety inspection in Texas for our TR's. At one time we had emissions tests in my area but it's been gone for a while now.
That is great news as I don't want to change anything...it runs so well as is. Thank you for your comment!