Need suggestion on GN-1 Intake vs Ported Stocker

jmendlik

Need suggestions--My combo is below and getting new GN-1 Heads for my new 250CU Stroker motor I have built.
my question-would a GN-1 intake be better than a CNC ported stocker from Champion?? I already have a 70MM TB and Plenum with RJC powerplate on my bone stock intake and want to upgrade

Here is my set up now:

3.820 Stage1 Block, BMS crank, crower rods, Diamond pistons, JW plate, BJH Balancer
Comp cams 218/224 billet roller (.545 intake/.553 Exhaust) .330 Lobe lift intake--.335 Exh
Comp cams 885 Roller lifters
T&D roller rocker setup 1.55 ratio
Full race port on Tom's GN-1s
PTE 6466 DBBB CEA Turbo
Jimmys stage 3 full billiet trans
Dusty PTE NL Converter
E85 with TT 6.1 W/B Chip

Street car with limited track time

open to suggestions...

Last edited:
The GN1 manifold offers good fuel distribution not to mention great looks. Not sure how 'measurable' the performance gains are though. Consider this: if you don't have an existing manifold to send in for the core charge, you'll be paying a lot of coin for that ported stocker.

Will the GN1 hit the hood liner? Also I hear the stock coil mounting has to be modified or it will hit the wiper arms? Anyone have more details?

Can you run an Rjc power plate with this GN1 intake? Is it needed?

Jm

GN1 doesn't hit the hood liner. Yes, the coil mounting bracket must be modified to clear the wiper arms. I just elongated the holes and slid the unit forward a bit. I don't run an RJC power plate. The fuel distribution is pretty decent out of the box. Did I mention how good this manifold looks? :D

Similar issue, I have a champion ported stock intake manifold and a GN1 72mm throttle body with plentium. What rjc power plate is needed if any? Stock?

I thought champion and GN1 were the same.

Last edited:
Looks aren't worth sacrificing combo. The GN1 is an 8 sec or faster intake. The ported stocker will go bottom 9's all day. At least you have a Stage block...you can upgrade to the intake later, but your turbo isn't going to make the power to need the intake.

Looks aren't worth sacrificing combo. The GN1 is an 8 sec or faster intake. The ported stocker will go bottom 9's all day. At least you have a Stage block...you can upgrade to the intake later, but your turbo isn't going to make the power to need the intake.
Coach, do you know if there has been any testing showing loss of 'usable' torque or HP on a street car using this intake. Just wondering how different it flows and if it would be worth it to use if you already had one sitting in a office closet for for the last 5 or so years :rolleyes::eek:

Thks
aaron

Last edited:
If you didnt already have plenum and tb combo id say go for gn1 bc its def a better bang for the buck. Qhy spend 2xs and unless.this is a sub 9 car its just more money added to the build.

I have updated my signature now.
But the question was what power plate if any is needed. I believe it's the stocker but idk.
Unless those last three replys we're meant for the OP.

Champion is equalizing my stock lower intake to work with my full port GN1's. I have a Hemco which I'm bringing into this combo. Does someone have experience with the Hemco and a ported stock intake manifold?

I believe the fastest 109's around all use stock ported intake. Good enough to run in the 8 sec range.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Champion is equalizing my stock lower intake to work with my full port GN1's. I have a Hemco which I'm bringing into this combo. Does someone have experience with the Hemco and a ported stock intake manifold?
I run a Hemco and ported stocker and I'll have dyno numbers in a month. I personally know of 3 other cars running mid 9's with a Hemco and ported stock intake.
9.50's at 143 is fastest I know for sure.

Coach, do you know if there has been any testing showing loss of 'usable' torque or HP on a street car using this intake. Just wondering how different it flows and if it would be worth it to use if you already had one sitting in a office closet for for the last 5 or so years :rolleyes::eek:

Thks
aaron
No...I do not have any numbers. All I have is my engine builder stating it was def not a piece of the combo he would build. Several others told me the same. You guys know me...it woulda looked soooo cool chromed that if I coulda run it...I woulda.

I have updated my signature now.
But the question was what power plate if any is needed. I believe it's the stocker but idk.
Unless those last three replys we're meant for the OP.
You need to call Jason and tell him which plenum you have. You match the power plate to the plenum...not the intake.
I'm Heisenberging!!!!

The Hemco is the best plenum period. Red Armstrong has gone 9.17@152 with a stock ported intake, Hemco, Stock 58mm throttlebody, SLIC, AC, heat, 200 4r with rattiling 5 disc Vigilante torque converter on a stroked 3.8 stage 2. he also runs a stock computer with his chips and a mass airflow sensor.

The Hemco is the best plenum period. Red Armstrong has gone 9.17@152 with a stock ported intake, Hemco, Stock 58mm throttlebody, SLIC, AC, heat, 200 4r with rattiling 5 disc Vigilante torque converter on a stroked 3.8 stage 2. he also runs a stock computer with his chips and a mass airflow sensor.
Agreed. I'm working on getting the flow imbalance out.

I run a Hemco and ported stocker and I'll have dyno numbers in a month. I personally know of 3 other cars running mid 9's with a Hemco and ported stock intake.
9.50's at 143 is fastest I know for sure.
Thats what I'm doing!!! With old ported irons also. We will see..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I knew there were lower ET's but couldn't say for fact. Thanks Rob

Yes BUT he is Red Armstrong:D the guy could tune a wheelbarrow to run 9s. :confused:Guys like Red take pride in doing more with less and make it look easy:cool: