Need some help... GN not starting

87GN_ponykillr

Buick addict
Hey all: On my father's GN (99% stock) a few months he had a local sound shop install a new head unit only in his car. The old one was skipping and the antenna had been unplugged because it was drawing the battery down. It was this way when he bought the car and never had a single issue with it. So the one was installed and the car started having a dead battery. I remembered the antenna needed to be unplugged so I pulled the head unit and sure enough the sound place had hooked up the antenna wire. Simple enough, I unplugged it figuring this will solve the problem. No dice. The battery still was getting drained down. Next step I replaced the battery with a new one all was tested well and the problem still happened. He took it to his local mechanic and they could not find a draw on the electrical system anywhere. Alternator tested good and yes the volt light lights up so I know that end is functioning also. They installed a "kill switch" and told him to just through the switch when he is finished driving it. All worked well with that for a few weeks. Last week he went to go for a spin and the car was missing bad. He told me that it had started missing a while ago but was light and it has gotten much worse. I went over to check it out and test drive it and it was so bad it almost broke down on me. So I'm thinking do the basics, I checked all the plugs and they are good. Swapped out MAF sensors (didn't fix the problem) so I put new wires on the car and a brand new coil pack and ignition module yesterday thinking that would be the fix. Well I couldn't get the car started. It would barley crank over never event started! I put my jumper pack on to see what the volts looked like, the jumper would not start the car. I noticed when I had the jump pack on and the key on the battery drain was going FAST it went from 11.5 down to 5 in a few seconds. When I threw the "kill switch" the battery charged back up to where its should be. Another thing is when I was attempting to jump it the last time the one black wire from the ground at the battery (see picture) started smoking heavy so I pulled it off. Then I pulled the battery out and pushed it in the garage. I am lost at the point. Any thoughts??? Thanks! -Adam
badgn.jpg

Does the "volt/battery" idiot light come on in the instrument cluster when the key is turned ON? ( car not started)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

When that particular wire starts to melt during cranking, it is due to the heavy gauge ground between the battery and engine block being bad. Also, watch out for the ground strap wire that goes from the firewall to the engine block, it too may be getting fried.

This is due to the starters high current demand. Which isn't going through the heavy ground cable to the engine block, but going through the alternate route.

RemoveBeforeFlight

^hit the nail on the head. Also trace the positive cable to make sure it's not coming into contact with the header

You figure in your starting system that you only have a few components. I would take the starter out and have it checked. The last time that I had smoking wires , my starter was still engaged and was smoking hot. The thing with the kill switch I dont really like. Your ECm probably loses memory every single time and has to go thru a relearning process when you drive. ( it 's not the worst thing but...) You should get you a 12 volt test light kit and a voltmeter for your "emergency" kit. I never leave home with out it. Do a draw test once you get your battery cable fixed, check your positive cable and make sure that it is not trying to ground out with something on the block. Check the connectors on the starter and make sure that the positive didnt come loose and rotate to the ground side, unlikely but check it. The root of your cable fry should be an easy find.

Ground wire not tight on the block?

Thanks guys... The wire was jacked and the crank sensor was out bad.. She is back and running like it should now.

I love it when people report there findings. It really helps trouble shooting.