Need rec on new cam and turbo

xlr8ngn

89 TTA
Stock block, 3 steel mains, .010, 245" Full Throttle stroker assembly with a little more than 10:1 compression estimated
Decked for MLS gaskets
Ported stock TTA heads w/ Ferrea valves, head studs, ported stock intake, blocked egr
Currently will have the stock TTA intercooler, but will add big neck if necessary
Stock cleaned up for flow headers, 3" ATR downpipe, full ATR SS exhaust with dump open or closed
Running E85 from local station, GN-ECU computer, 80# injectors currently, 450lph Walbro pump
Husek trans and 2800 l/u converter (unlocked with full throttle)

I need to order a roller cam kit, and HS rockers and it looks like Comp is making cams again. Also need a turbo, was running a PT52 but exhaust wheel was damaged when my crank separated. I ran a best of 7.7 at 92 mph on essentially a stock engine with bolt ons. This will be a street car most of the time, but I enjoy leaning on one at the strip as well. I also live a mile from the expressway and have plenty of opportunity to stretch it out. I have no experience picking cams, so all advise welcome on turbo as well as cam and rocker ratio. I would like to be capable of mid 10's and will likely run it tuned for high 10's most of the time. Let me know your thoughts.

89 TTA
Stock block, 3 steel mains, .010, 245" Full Throttle stroker assembly with a little more than 10:1 compression estimated
Decked for MLS gaskets
Ported stock TTA heads w/ Ferrea valves, head studs, ported stock intake, blocked egr
Currently will have the stock TTA intercooler, but will add big neck if necessary
Stock cleaned up for flow headers, 3" ATR downpipe, full ATR SS exhaust with dump open or closed
Running E85 from local station, GN-ECU computer, 80# injectors currently, 450lph Walbro pump
Husek trans and 2800 l/u converter (unlocked with full throttle)

I need to order a roller cam kit, and HS rockers and it looks like Comp is making cams again. Also need a turbo, was running a PT52 but exhaust wheel was damaged when my crank separated. I ran a best of 7.7 at 92 mph on essentially a stock engine with bolt ons. This will be a street car most of the time, but I enjoy leaning on one at the strip as well. I also live a mile from the expressway and have plenty of opportunity to stretch it out. I have no experience picking cams, so all advise welcome on turbo as well as cam and rocker ratio. I would like to be capable of mid 10's and will likely run it tuned for high 10's most of the time. Let me know your thoughts.
Any cam will hit that et goal.
But.........
I would go 212 or 218 roller.
Billet 64mm bb turbo.

Any cam will hit that et goal.
But.........
I would go 212 or 218 roller.
Billet 64mm bb turbo.
How about this? Looks available from Full Throttle with short Morel lifters. And 1.55 rockers?

" 214/214: "Revolution XR5" Roller Camshaft - Our latest design of roller profile for use with newer high flow turbos.

This is a high intensity camshaft with very fast ramps and higher lift. It is for the guys who want to make the max power but still keep the RPM’s within reason. It is offered with fully ported heads, big turbos and high stall non-lock converters in mind. We used to run this cam in our old TSS setup with great success. It requires a stronger valve spring (PAC1219) that we will offer in the kit when this cam is selected. Roller rockers and at least iron heads are required-- 1.55 ratio is best for most applications; 1.65 ratio is not recommended.

Specifications:
  • Intake Duration 214 @ .50 / Exhaust Duration 214 @ .50
    .547 lift with 1.55 rockers
    .565 lift with 1.60 rockers
    .583 lift with 1.65 rockers
  • 110 L/S (installs at 110)
  • Very Fast Ramp, Great with Short Travel Lifters.
  • Smooth Idle and great drivability., must shift higher. "

How about this? Looks available from Full Throttle with short Morel lifters. And 1.55 rockers?

" 214/214: "Revolution XR5" Roller Camshaft - Our latest design of roller profile for use with newer high flow turbos.

This is a high intensity camshaft with very fast ramps and higher lift. It is for the guys who want to make the max power but still keep the RPM’s within reason. It is offered with fully ported heads, big turbos and high stall non-lock converters in mind. We used to run this cam in our old TSS setup with great success. It requires a stronger valve spring (PAC1219) that we will offer in the kit when this cam is selected. Roller rockers and at least iron heads are required-- 1.55 ratio is best for most applications; 1.65 ratio is not recommended.

Specifications:
  • Intake Duration 214 @ .50 / Exhaust Duration 214 @ .50
    .547 lift with 1.55 rockers
    .565 lift with 1.60 rockers
    .583 lift with 1.65 rockers
  • 110 L/S (installs at 110)
  • Very Fast Ramp, Great with Short Travel Lifters.
  • Smooth Idle and great drivability., must shift higher. "
I've hit your wt goals on a stock camshaft😉
So pick away.
But I would recommend a lower lift so you dont need really alot of spring pressure to hit the goals.
Going overkill just costs alot more.

@Mr.Spool

He's using a 2800 LU convertor. Is that enuf to spool a 64. I was able to spool that 6262 JB with a tight convertor, but it took a whack of low gear tuning to get it to spool quick.

Yes.
We usually see 1or 2psi at 2800rpm on the 64 even the single bb without getting aggressive on the tuneup.
I would keep the .63 ex housing on it.
He has compression as well.

I only ran it once so far at the track and had a best of 1.7 60' with Nitto's and the stock 9 bolt 3.27 rear. It planted really well with 15psi in the tires and I didn't lean on the stall very hard. I have adjustable Koni's all around, and delrin bushings up front so the suspension seemed to work really well and could definitely take more. But I probably don't need to apply much more torque at the line if I want the rear to stay together. Maybe a 1.6 would be a safe target for this car, and whatever turbo with a normal or "quickish" spool-up required for that? But I do like throttle response while cruising though, so I hope the extra compression will help there.

You really don't need a lot of cam for these engines. A 5858 or a 6262 will be plenty for you but a 6466 will give you room to grow. I wish I had 10:1 or even 10.5:1 compression. One of these days when the money it available I will build another engine and see what it will do.

Bryan

Thanks for all the responses. Looking at a 216/220 from Full Throttle and a 6466 turbo. I have a little time to decide, so any further thoughts on this? Looks like I can use my stock rockers as well. But I see alot of talk about adjusting preload for potential bleed down and noisy valvetrain. Should I plan to upgrade to Harland Sharps anyway for long term adjustability, or try and save a few bucks with the stock TTA rockers?

Thanks for all the responses. Looking at a 216/220 from Full Throttle and a 6466 turbo. I have a little time to decide, so any further thoughts on this? Looks like I can use my stock rockers as well. But I see alot of talk about adjusting preload for potential bleed down and noisy valvetrain. Should I plan to upgrade to Harland Sharps anyway for long term adjustability, or try and save a few bucks with the stock TTA rockers?
If you are going to go with a roller cam, get the rocker arms for it as well.

I would go to a stall speed of 3200 using the 64/66 and that cam. Don't use a .63 exhaust housing it will impede top end on that turbo.

That turbo will require bigger injectors as well.

Take a look at the HPT 6466 from Full Throttle. The external wastegate setup for it is really nice and would give much better boost control that you can control through the gn-ECU