Need new copper or brass heater core

souljasmooth

My heater core is starting to leak in my 86 GN. Anyone know who has a copper/brass heater core like the stock one with AC? I was gonna rebuild the stock one, but can't find anyone who does that anymore. I heard aluminum ones suck, so I want to stay away from them. But if anyone knows any real nice aluminum ones, I am open to that idea. Looking for something that will bolt in with no mods. I researched this, but I can't find anyone that has them in stock. Please send links if you have any leads.

a true OEM one are very hard to come by...most all replacements are aluminum.. highway stars carries them..they will need minor mods to fit correctly...from what ive heard ...steve V. has done a few IIRC

a true OEM one are very hard to come by...most all replacements are aluminum.. highway stars carries them..they will need minor mods to fit correctly...from what ive heard ...steve V. has done a few IIRC
Doesnt have to be OEM. Just trying to find a copper/brass one with no modifications if possible.

Doesnt have to be OEM. Just trying to find a copper/brass one with no modifications if possible.
I hear ya ... tough to find ..like I said ... if grumpy has one and offered to help out ...id jump all over that ...GL in your search ...

If you can't find one, you can do what I did and buy one off ebay.com cheap and got it in 4 days...now my GN has good heat

Since its impossible to find a copper one, are there better aluminum ones? Anybody use Kirbans? I emailed them, but no answer.

Me personally, I'd just use a cheap one, use the right anti-freeze (Dex-Cool), do yearly flushes, and you should be ok, unless you just want to spend extra BIG bucks. On my 1960 Impala I bought a cheap $18 heater core and no problem after 12 years still running strong. And when you mix your antifreeze be sure to use Distilled water, NEVER tap water.

Me personally, I'd just use a cheap one, use the right anti-freeze (Dex-Cool), do yearly flushes, and you should be ok, unless you just want to spend extra BIG bucks. On my 1960 Impala I bought a cheap $18 heater core and no problem after 12 years still running strong. And when you mix your antifreeze be sure to use Distilled water, NEVER tap water.
I dont mind spending some extra money on a copper or nice one, but not really "big bucks".

I have a OEM core, but you would be 2nd in line . A local buddy of mines is supposed to get it Tuesday. If he doesn't , I will reply to thread and let you know if you may be interested in it.

Attachments

• 20180121_202734.jpg
    20180121_202734.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • 20180121_202655.jpg
    20180121_202655.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 187
I grabbed this one from O'Riellys for under 30 bucks I believe. Murray part #94505. Looks just like the one it replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_181258.jpg
    IMG_20200411_181258.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
I grabbed this one from O'Riellys for under 30 bucks I believe. Murray part #94505. Looks just like the one it replaced.
Thanks, but according to their website, it says its aluminum. I might have to go that route if I can find a copper one by next week.