Need Mechanic

#1HotRod

Luv her, but she not dependable. Runs normal for awhile, sometimes 20 min, other times an hour, then it starts acting like out of fuel & quits; wont start , let it sit for about 2 hrs & it repeats cycle. And/or, running fine going someplace, turn it off & it won't start, like it's out of fuel. So, fuel pump was replaced, made no difference. Next best guess is ignition, so coil pack was replaced...yep, made no difference. So distrustful/frustrating. Who & where is the guru to cure this illness? Thanks.

Luv her, but she not dependable. Runs normal for awhile, sometimes 20 min, other times an hour, then it starts acting like out of fuel & quits; wont start , let it sit for about 2 hrs & it repeats cycle. And/or, running fine going someplace, turn it off & it won't start, like it's out of fuel. So, fuel pump was replaced, made no difference. Next best guess is ignition, so coil pack was replaced...yep, made no difference. So distrustful/frustrating. Who & where is the guru to cure this illness? Thanks.
Coil pack? What about the ignition module? Did you change that?

When it happens is the fuel pump running? Are the injectors firing? Have you checked spark when its acting up? Could be many things on these 30+ yr old cars. Relay, wiring, sensor......etc

If you're in California, go see Lou Czarnota, aka Turbolou here on the board.

When it happens is the fuel pump running? Are the injectors firing? Have you checked spark when its acting up? Could be many things on these 30+ yr old cars. Relay, wiring, sensor......etc
Ya, that's the problem, electronic demons. Yes, fuel pump continues running, not the car. Guess could check spark on each cylinder when it does it quit thing, although if were any such problem the new coil pack & module should have taken care of it. Also, if still has spark, how to know it's a hot enough spark (somehow related). Back to I need someone real good with electric demons.

If you're in California, go see Lou Czarnota, aka Turbolou here on the board.
Ya, I'm one of the mutton-puncher fans myself. He rebuilt engine long ago (great job!), & he's helped with current issue, I then dragged it down to him (that's when got new coil pack & module), etc. Fine tuned, etc., drove fine, thought problem solved, dragged it back home, and....well...here I am again. He's probably frustrated dealing with it. Can't help like the guy, but he'll probably (grouchly but playfully) cuss at me (again), you know,....be Lou. Guess I can throw myself at his mercy again.

Good old Lou! Service AFTER the sale!
YEARS after the sale, like I said, can't help but like the grouch, I mean guy. But, being a GN, there is always the ongoing promise of a long relationship with your mechanic :sick:. I'll call him early during the work week.

Lou kind of grumpy lately, think he tired of the multitude of gremlins hiding in these old beasts. I'll sweeten up to him next week. Just don't put much faith in local shops that are fine for "normal" cars, these GN's are getting old & kind of problematic/difficult for those not real familiar with them. Mine's very nice, It's frustrating to keep it great looking but not drive it. :cautious:

All of us "old timers" consider it "socially acceptable" to be a tad "salty" upon occasion. Lou is no exception. Lou's always been able to keep my car/cars (turbo Buicks) running top notch. Sometimes he likes me so much it takes more than 1 visit. He will get you up and running.

He will get you up and running.
Did not mean anything derogatory; I thought Lou's Saltiness well-known, part of his admired character & second only to his TB expertise. I am surprised how he remembers detail, like the time years ago when he did such&such to my car, etc. Nope, he's a likable guy & appreciate his willingness to continue wrenching for the benefit of us crazy TB owners. It's a 4 - 4.5 Hr. trip to his shop, but worth the horrors of LA traffic to see the grumpy giant perform magic. Also love this website, don't post often but review it often.

:)He currently has a whole pile of my parts that are going to turn into a monster motor. :)

Did not mean anything derogatory; I thought Lou's Saltiness well-known, part of his admired character & second only to his TB expertise. I am surprised how he remembers detail, like the time years ago when he did such&such to my car, etc. Nope, he's a likable guy & appreciate his willingness to continue wrenching for the benefit of us crazy TB owners. It's a 4 - 4.5 Hr. trip to his shop, but worth the horrors of LA traffic to see the grumpy giant perform magic. Also love this website, don't post often but review it often.
I did not take your post as derogatory towards Lou.