Need input on motor rebuild

bholker

Debating on pulling my motor and rebuilding it or acquiring a rebuilt long/short block and swapping it in. I get a nasty big ol' couple of knock's at idle on cold start up and on occasion when warm, that I cannot seem to chase down.
Anyway, looking for input on what should be upgraded above and beyond stock replacement parts, or a source of a rebuild long/short block. I'm open to option's.
My objective with this car is to be a street car with good driving manners that will run in the mid to high 12's. Motor has 72k miles on it, and is all stock as far as I know. Other areas that I have upgraded and intend on using include:
Walbro 340
adjust press reg
Got the LT1 MAF, and translator
dual Hooker Exhaust
New in the box, not installed yet: Heated O2 Sensor, and Spark Translator.

Let me know what you folks think.
Also if anyone knows a good resource for 3.8 turbo rebuild specifics, do's and dont's, I'm interested. I've got access to a very good engine builder, but he's not experienced in the 3.8 turbo, so he'd need any 3.8 turbo specific information related to building this motor if we end up tearing into it.

are you looking to run low 12's on pump gas or race fuel? Makes a big diff on the combo you will need :)
For low 12's on race gas basically a turbo, injector , fuel pump ,and chip is about all u need ....