need info on laws -pets on roadways

TurboGTA

a neighbor down the road has a mini farm and he allows the geese,ducks,chickens and a dog run around on the dirt road

my wife and I have accidentaly ran over some of these stupid birds

the man know harrasses my wife by yelling at her to slow down and 1 time he actually told her to stop so he could yell at her

now his house is right at the corner so when we turn onto the dirt road we are only going maybe 10mph so what the hell is he yelling for ???

today he yells at me so I turn around and go inform him that he isn't a cop and this is a public raoad with no posted speed limits so therefor the speed limit is 45mph

we are in PA by the way

so what are the laws concerning his pets being in the roadway??

thanks

That info would be in your city code.

Maybe there is a leash law violation here. Roadkill is public property.....the next time the wifey runs over a chicken, ask it's owner over for a chicken dinner to discuss the matter.

As per the PA. drivers booklet, urban area max is 35, residential 25 unless otherwise posted. Call the Sheriff, let him handle it. Don't think you will like it if this is a country area.

tell the guy that if you ever see any of his animals on the road, you might not try very hard to avoid them becasue they are a safety hazard.

Live stock is different from pets. If he, as you said, has a "mini farm" the birds are considered live stock so the rules will be different. I've lived in TN and TX and the laws are much different. In TX the owner of the live stock is responsible if the animals get out and are run over, in TN the driver is at fault and is responsible if the animal is hurt. Call your Sherrif and see what the law says to make sure he can't screw you.

If you have a local PD check with them.. There might be a local law on the books.. If the State Police patrol your area, check with them. There should be a contracted animal control officer for your jurisdiction and they could probably answer your question the best..

Live stock is different from pets. If he, as you said, has a "mini farm" the birds are considered live stock so the rules will be different. I've lived in TN and TX and the laws are much different. In TX the owner of the live stock is responsible if the animals get out and are run over, in TN the driver is at fault and is responsible if the animal is hurt. Call your Sherrif and see what the law says to make sure he can't screw you.

I can't believe Tenessee would have a law that if a cow wandered onto a hwy at night and was hit by a car, the driver would be responsible for the cow. I can see a law where the farmer is not liable for damage to the car, but the driver liable for damage to the cow is silly.

I'm just glad that I don't see any cows in town here in Nashville. LOL, Sounds like you dealt with him fairly from the beginning. I'd make it a cause for dinner from here on out.

I can't believe Tenessee would have a law that if a cow wandered onto a hwy at night and was hit by a car, the driver would be responsible for the cow. I can see a law where the farmer is not liable for damage to the car, but the driver liable for damage to the cow is silly.

Believe it or not, yes.:eek: I found this out from a trooper and my boss at the time. The trooper was called to an accident that involved a man hitting a cow that had gotten out and since the cow as in such bad shape he asked the trooper to shoot it and put it out. The trooper called it in and his boss told him if he put it out of it's misery the driver would have to pay for it. the dirver got stuck for the vet bills.:confused:
This was confirmed by my boss at the time. What do you expect for a state that Albert Gore Jr is from.:eek:

not a real farm he barely has 1/2 of an acre

the sheriff took care of it, told him if he continues to yell it will be considered harassment

sheriff told me the animals do not have the right of way

the geese and ducks were wild birds but he feeds them so they hang around--sheriff told me this

I tried telling the guy that my wife and i need to get home/want to get home so we will not crawl at 2mph just for stupid birds at this point I don't know if I'd even slow down for his dog

whatever the speed limit is doesn't really matter because while driving her Pontiac G6 we don't even get into 3rd gear at a low rpm until far down the road past his property,he seems to think 10mph is to fast to drive by his house--I should invite him to my house and show him how the rednecks go about 45 around a blind curve

to bad he is in his 50's and said he has a bad hip or I was going to offer to settle things in the middle of the road

oh well---can't we all just get along

I know that feeling.
We have a pig "farm" and a cattle farm that sit on the side of a major roadway here. If the cattle are crossing, he puts out warnings and fences them in to cross. Which is annoying, but safer.
The guy that has the pig "farm" has his pigs fenced in, but geese running all over the place, chickens, all sorts of everything. They wander all over the road, sometimes will just hang out in the middle. Theres been a few days I've almost hit them, but I've seen cars pile up trying to avoid him, since all of it is in the middle of a forest clearing, just after a sharp corner, and before another sharp corner. No warning signs, nothing. I just had some idiot tailgate me the other day, I slow down because I knew what was coming up, but he decides to pass me, took the corner at about 60, and next thing I see is him doing a 180 with tire smoke all over trying to avoid a flock of geese in the road.
The cattle farm isn't too much better. Going out of town, you can easily see it long before you get there. But coming into town, its right after a sharp corner after a long steep hill headed down into the corner. I've seen 18 wheelers lock up the trailer brakes and jack knife the whole thing trying not to hit the line of cows. They dont go out that way far enough with any warning. I'm waiting for the day I hear about a rig plowing into their barn because he couldn't stop in time.

If he owns the pet or animal that you hit in the road, he is liable for the damage to your car.

You've never hit a big bird on the road, have you? See how much damage a turkey can cause when you hit one and you will try not to next time. Believe me. Geese aren't much smaller.

Do a mother Candian Goose and 3 goslings count? How about a pheasant in mid grill? Last Thursday I picked off a fat crow that stayed behind when a flock flew off from some road kill. Kind of funny how it rolled up the hood and over the roof. Got a cat once with both wheels. It made a good thunk rolling around both the wheel wells. So far I've dodged two deer and a couple of dogs.

Do a mother Candian Goose and 3 goslings count? How about a pheasant in mid grill? Last Thursday I picked off a fat crow that stayed behind when a flock flew off from some road kill. Kind of funny how it rolled up the hood and over the roof. Got a cat once with both wheels. It made a good thunk rolling around both the wheel wells. So far I've dodged two deer and a couple of dogs.

Then you DO understand why I said miss the birds.:biggrin: The worst I've ever had happen was a large dog someone didn't keep on the property. I caught it with my right fender while braking. It took my parking light out and dented my fender. The hit threw him off the road and he was impaled on a fence post (road was higher that the fence). Not a pretty sight and I couldn't do anything for it I'm sorry to say.:(

I say run them over claim damage to you car and make him pay, maybe then he'll secure his live stock. ;)

Last Thursday I picked off a fat crow that stayed behind when a flock flew off from some road kill. Kind of funny how it rolled up the hood and over the roof.

Now that's funny........

The worst I've ever had happen was a large dog someone didn't keep on the property.:(

A long time ago I had a dog that was off his leash but walking with his owners take off and run right in front of my motorcycle. I skidded to a stop and jumped off my bike, whipped off my helmet and yelled at those morons. If I hit the black lab I would have gone down and hurt it bad. I think they got the message.