need ideas quick guys

REDS HOT AIR

Buick Tweaker
this car im going to the track with on monday wont shift to 3rd till it hits the rev limiter no matter where I set the rev limiter it shifts after hitting it

I cant get my buddy by in time to do a wot pressure test before then and I dont have nothing to test it with ..Im a motor guy not a tranny guy :D

the trans works perfect normal driving and even rapidly accelerating just that 3rd gear wot shift is killing me and probly my new motor in front of it .. stock block stock crank motor and Ive been as high as 6650 on the rev limiter but still no shift till then

It is a 2004r built by a buick tranny builder but Im saying no names because he has good tranny's and I dont want people thinking otherwise

oh yeah does it with the converter locked or unlocked

as soon as it hits the limiter and shifts there is no slip at all (logging it with fast system)

I have tried from completly tight tv at wot to about 1/8 play in the tv hopeing to fool the trans to think It wont wot so it would shift earlier but no good acts the exact same at wot just shifts softer normal driving with loose tv

hope to get a possible something I could do myself today (sunday) (my birthday ) so it will perform better at the track monday ... like it needs to be faster ..lol

thanks guys
help help :D

vb

Red, I am sure you have the ability to drop the vb. I would try cutting one coil off the 2-3 shift valve. Probably not the problem. On second thought -polish the bore and spool for the 2-3 shift stack up also.
I am sending you an e-mail.

If you are letting the trans shift 2-3, you might try manual shifting. Is this the same trans that has a leaking TCC solenoid?

no not got a leaky solenoid in this tranny

thanks for the pointer Lee but when it goes to modding the v/b I could handle it no problem but prefer not to unless the builder of the trans says it would be ok as the trans is not very old and Im sure the builder would fix it just time factor for the rental has me by the nadz

I tried manual shifting it pushing the shifter around 6100 but it just kept going like when left in Drive

oh well guess I'll have to live with it tomarrow unless I geta email from the builder saying to go in the v/b

does kinda sound like the spool is stuck like its got trash hung in it

wish it would unstick itself :D

if its not shifting id send it in.the trans is over 2 years old it might be time to get a freshen up.i dont reccomend going thru the valve body and cutting anything especially if the car worked good until recently.

:) I think it must be trash that went thru it from the 9-11 converter that took a dump in it

hopefully it will blow itself out of there but whoo knows

I had a pass on it before I loaded it on the trailer and it shifted before the limiter but barely ...was right at 6600 and limiter is set for 6650

I had the pan off while the motor was out and it had some metal in it but not alot I dropped the pan again after a couple passes on it since back in and it had just a few specs in it so hopefully it will flush itself out and be ok for awhile

I think the owner has about had it with 200's and about ready to put his t-brake t-400 in it

I think the tranny should be fine it may have 2 years of age on it but very little use.. owner never had time to drive it and noone to work on it .. at the most it probly has less than 15 passes at the track and maybe a couple thousand miles if that

works great other than that and that started about the same time the converter turned into a 5500 stall

I'll update after track time

ps. the motor really dont mind 6600 so if it atleast shifts there all will be good :)

:mad: :mad: :mad: nope tranny not clean itself was all over the limiter every pass

still went 10.20's at over 134 mph in a full weight gn behind a 109 block :D

RED SOUNDS LIKE CONVERTER PROBLEM,if every gear is bumping the rev limiter looks like youve got converter issue,does it lock?how much rpms does it drop on a shift?if the trans had an issue i think a 10.20 pass would have sent it home packing.

nah converter working fine

Its not bumping the limiter on every gear 2nd gear shift is fine and its not flairing or nothing just plain pulls 2nd gear all the way to the limiter which Is still at 6650

sometimes it would shift on one hit of the limiter other times it would hit the limiter 3 to 4 times then start haulin azz again

no biggy Im pretty sure some of the left over scraps from the last converter are hung up in the valve body

Im sure the limiter bouncing at that rpm and power level is not too nice on the motor but I'll be checking the motor out inside since Im going back in it looking for more power ;)

there was plenty of guys there from on here watching the runs including Jack cotton which helped me out getting some stuff right in the fast tuning and Bill Anderson was watching also just to name the most Known guys there

tranny worked flawless other than that issue no slipping no breaking nothing .. donno ... the day I had to run the car is over now Ill be checking it out once I remove it from the car but I think this car is getting the ati t-400 with brake thats laying in the floor doing nothing but taking up space

the cool part was this custom built converter was the same stall at the end of the day as it was when I got there :cool:

I'll probly have motor and trans out this week so I can get started hunting more power by next track rental