Need help reassembling steering column after repair of lose bolts

billygeg

Hey guys, I need some help here re assebling my column after I took it apart to tighten the 4 screws..When pulling it apart some parts just fell out and I am not sure which order they go in..You can see the center of the shaft, Thats where the bearings go but there is a ring and another piece that go in there..I am not sure which goes first and which direction the bearings go in.. Does anyone have a diagram of this? Or can someone walk me threw it? They make it look pretty simple with online videos but this has turned out to be a real nightmare!

Attachments

• 20190919_140525.jpg
    20190919_140525.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 20190919_140528.jpg
    20190919_140528.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 37
I tried using the reference above when I was doing mine and was having trouble even with that (pretty much got to the same place you are and kept having issues once i had it all together). It just didn't have all the little details I needed to fully understand what I was trying to do.

I used Jazzman's guide to get me the rest of the way - hopefully, with both references handy you can get to the other side... Figured out I had messed stuff up long before even getting to the bearing and such causing my issues.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Check that out, and like I said - with both you should be able to get there.

Mine moves around also. I have wanted to fix it from day one, until I saw what was involved.

Good luck, hope you get it squared away.

In the same way as all the loose G-Body columns. Up, down, left, right, about 1/8" to 1/4".

It's four little bolts that are loose...You'll need a special tool also to remove that shaft assembly as whole.....the bolts are star shaped....take them out, put some red locktite on them, reinstall...though it "looks" complicated, if a dork like me can do it four times then you can do it. Might have some pictures around of my job.

First picture is of that special tool you need to remove that assembly you have shown there...use on both sides to remove stud there.

Never mind...the DAMN computer will not load the pictures....now I'm really pissed off. Sorry. They "would" have been helpful to you....I'm going to go get my .44 right now and threaten this damn thing! Excuse me.

Didn't work.:mad:

Bruce '87 Grand National