Need Help Diagnosing Issue

BirdBrain

My car ran hot and starting running poorly...misfiring. Initially I thought it was a bad head gasket, but everything checked out fine. It has no power at all. It had a pitbull chip in it and swapped it for a TurboTweak. To which it does idle better, but I still have the same issue. If it runs for a very short tine, the passenger manifold gets red hot. Not the driver's side. I looked for a vacuum leak to no avail. compression test turd out fine too. I changed the coil pack and IGM. Still runs same. Cam sensor is fine.

Any thoughts as to what it good be?
Thx in advance.

These are basic questions, do you have a Scanmaster?
If so warm the engine and post the Scanmaster numbers so anyone can help you figure out some of the issues you are having.
If you don't have a Scanmaster, GET ONE, otherwise you'll be spending wasteful amount of money replacing parts for nothing.

Two locals installed timing chains incorrectly and the timing was retarded...the headers glowed. Just a shot in the dark but possibly the timing chain skipped.

Why did it run hot? My guess is it slightly lifted the passenger side head or intake manifold gasket. When it warms up it leaks going lean. The other items I would be looking at is the injectors. There could be a harness issue.

Here is @bird Brain PL file.

Finally got car running and idling with set back to specs. Originally FP was to low at 32lbs with stock regulator. Added Accufab got pressure set @ 42lbs. Original injector harness was spiced and taped up, then replaced with caspers harness. Replaced Spark plugs and gapped @ 30. Tr6 ignition sysytem added with new NGK plugs. Cam sensor, cap checked and set. Headers and vacuum checked out. No vacuum or exhaust leaks.

Passenger headers started glowing again after running on idle. Compression test came out at 113-120.

TTchip/injectors
stock turbo
49K mile car.

Attachments

• matt TTA.dat
    193.6 KB · Views: 53
Hmmnn.... Cam timing issue?
Sprocket gone?
I thought the same thing. But it starts up good and only passenger side headers glowing. Not enough compression or flat cam not burning fuel. I tried unplugging each injectors on passenger side. Assuming it was stuck injector.

You have a MAF reading of 11.7 at a coolant temp of 152. MAF is far to high. Go back out and get another file with the engine fully warmed up with the coolant at operating temperature.

It doesn't matter if the engine has low miles. The stock cam gear has nylon coated teeth that gets brittle with age and breaks off allowing the chain to skip. You have to remove the pan as well to get it all out of the pan and oil pick up.

I agree the stock gear can crap out even on a lower mile car. It may have jumped a gear. I'm still wondering why only the passenger side it glowing. it's either running too lean or fuel is burning in the pipes.
Has the original issue, it running hot, been determined?

I agree the stock gear can crap out even on a lower mile car. It may have jumped a gear. I'm still wondering why only the passenger side it glowing. it's either running too lean or fuel is burning in the pipes.
No, it hasn't. It last drove in 1993. He drove it 2 hours in 110 degree weather to his new home and it started running hot 10 minutes away from his new home. Rather than pulling over and suffering in the middle of nowhere, he just drove it home. It ran horribly right before he got home and shut it down. Something failed on his way home. It did have a pitbull chip, but never had issues before. I think the issue is related to air/fuel mixture which could be a whole host of reasons. I'll try to post a short video of it running. Keep in mind the pass exhaust glows within a minute or two.

You have a MAF reading of 11.7 at a coolant temp of 152. MAF is far to high. Go back out and get another file with the engine fully warmed up with the coolant at operating temperature.

I'm stumped too. If chain slipped a tooth cam sensor would be off and injectors timing would be off from compression stroke. Car wouldnt even idle or all cylinders would be glowing.

Sounds more and more like a head gasket.

Vid shows it running smoothly. I tossed two sets of head gaskets and I barely made it back to the trailer. I said previously, two locals had the timing badly retarded on a chain swap and both cars ran fine...other than the headers glowing and low on HP. The low compression numbers lead me in that direction as well. The MAF number is sky high at idle so it needs to be remedied. It's far overdo for a timing chain and sprockets. Get the MAF issue sorted out and then go from there. If it overheated badly enough it may have baked the head gaskets. If it were my car I'd do the timing chain, as it's due anyway. I'd also go with a Translator and a new MAF to go with it. If the chain didn't slip then it could be head gaskets as Pronto alluded too.