need gauge advice

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
My build is progressing, and it's time to think of gauges. I have a 3 gauge pod on the a pillar. I'd like a boost (boost/vac worth it?), oil pressure and water temp gauge and I prefer a 270 degree sweep. I also have a scanmaster. Is there a better choice of functions to monitor (like voltmeter of A/F instead of temp)? Because it will be in cab I know I shouldn't run a tube under pressure for the oil, but what are my options? I might add some more under the dash later. Any opinions welcomed.

My build is progressing, and it's time to think of gauges. I have a 3 gauge pod on the a pillar. I'd like a boost (boost/vac worth it?), oil pressure and water temp gauge and I prefer a 270 degree sweep. I also have a scanmaster. Is there a better choice of functions to monitor (like voltmeter of A/F instead of temp)? Because it will be in cab I know I shouldn't run a tube under pressure for the oil, but what are my options? I might add some more under the dash later. Any opinions welcomed.

personally i like the 2 5/8 gauges the are easy to see. i would get a boost gauge the reads at least up to 30# once you start geeting more familiar with your car you will probably turn it up and the normal 20# gauge will be worthless. also if you run a mechanical oil pressure gauge just get 1/8" copper tubing that it what the ractrack around here tells us what to do that way it won't melt and would take longer to chaffe through.

Personally I put the gauges that are most important when flying down the track in the A-pillar, as those you can easily watch and watch the road at the same time.
In my A-pillar I have Autometer boost/vac gauge, boost shows up to 30#...vac is important too as you can easily see a decrease in vacuum at idle if your cam is starting to get wiped.
Also in the A-pillar is a Caspers knock gauge...even though you have scan master, you can't watch it and the other gauges at the same time, its hard enough sometimes for me to even watch the A-pillar for a few glances..unless you have an audible on the knock gauge then put it anywhere.

My oil pressure, water temp, and fuel pressure are in other locations. Autometer makes some very nice electric oil pressure and fuel pressure gauges so you don't have to worry about running tubes into the cabin...and only use Autometer electri gauges, there are others but they are POS, I've been thru several different brands, Autometer is pricey but well worth it and are spot on...not to mention if you later get a Powerlogger or an Innovate Auxbox you can log several other 5v inputs and record what they were reading on each pass...all autometers are 5v ref signals.
Every gauge in my cockpit is logged. (Just realized the pic is old as that is not the AM boost/vac gauge in there but just a 30# boost gauge)
gn-all-gauges.jpg

I would get a Boost/Vac, Fuel PSI, and wideband in the A pillar. I would also get a water temp and oil psi in a pod under the radio. And you can cram a trans temp, volt meter, tach above the radio too :biggrin:. Or get a power logger and you can view most of them from there.

Wideband and boost are the most important IMO. I am thinking about getting a separate gauge for my wideband so I can watch that with boost while going down the track. I have a LM2 mounted above the radio, so my attention is on that and the scanmaster, so boost is an after thought. I had alot more time to look at things when the car was running high 10's.:frown:

I had all electric gauges excpet the boost/vac....
boost/vac
knock retard
fuel pressure
egt
rpm
water temp
oil press

IMG_0393.jpg

Thanks for the replies. So it looks like Auto Meter electrics are what I'm looking at. I don't have a powerlogger, nor a wide band (yet). This is a non console application, so an under radio pod looks like the way to go. Thanks everyone.