Need Direct Replacement Radiator

thundertracks

I'm assuming this is where I would post this. Looking for a new direct replacement radiator for my 87 Buick GN, really want a radiator that will hook up to the existing transmission and oil cooler lines, my GN is all stock and low miles, so no interest in modifications. Any information where I could purchase a new radiator would be greatly appreciated.

Might look into an ALRADCO aluminum radiator.

They are available in a plain aluminum finish or a black finish. Some think they are a bit pricey, but they are high quality & drop right into place without any modifications. The twin cooling fans & shroud assembly is also a simple plug & play, drop in installation.

If you live close to Arizona. Nick from Arizona GN also offers a very high quality radiator: http://www.arizonagn.net

I've used Champion in the past. They make a nice radiator. The Buick Regal radiator shown doesn't have the two internal heat exchangers for the oil & ATF though.

Find a local radiator shop and get your original re-cored in brass. It will be new. If one place doesn't do it, ask for referrals.

Since the 90's I have supplied hundreds of stock replacement radiators for 1986-7 T-R's.

In our brutal summer months here in the desert our radiator is as good or better than most any other radiator.

We re-cycle the unique end tanks used only on 1986-7 turbo Buicks, and use a high efficiency copper core available here in the Southwest for our hot summer temps.

Thanks for all the quick replies, not many radiator shops left locally, guess most radiator problems are solved with a new radiator. This weekend I have to take a better look at where the leak is , rag231 mentioned that many leaks are at the top rad hose connection, have to take a closer look at that. Thanks again for the info.

Check rockauto.com. that's where I got mine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah. I have that one, in August heat hottest it every got was 192 with stock fan

I just installed an Alradco Radiator in a buddies car he just bought the radiator back in March! I wonder if Pete is done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed an Alradco Radiator in a buddies car he just bought the radiator back in March! I wonder if Pete is done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can still contact Alradco on Facebook, phone number is there also.

Check out Kirbans weekly newsletter that came out today. He has a source that is going to start making them. Couple weeks off but it's great news for the guys who want the all original look. Working with Nick and Max Performance. Hopefully they will chime in as it was announced today.

Yeah. I have that one, in August heat hottest it every got was 192 with stock fan

Hi pmesfun, thanks for the info, interested in the radiator you got from RockAuto. Is this rad a direct fit for the 87 GN? Any modifications needed to install? All hookups there for oil cooler and trans cooler lines? My GN is completely stock so I don't want to have to mod anything to install. Thanks

Hi pmesfun, thanks for the info, interested in the radiator you got from RockAuto. Is this rad a direct fit for the 87 GN? Any modifications needed to install? All hookups there for oil cooler and trans cooler lines? My GN is completely stock so I don't want to have to mod anything to install. Thanks
I think that only had the oil cooler. You can add an external tranny cooler like on the gnx. Your transmission will thank you for it.

The fit is good, only issue I had was getting the top plate back on. The radiator is probably a hair taller than the stock one. I just started the bolts that go from the fan to the top plate then pushed down on the plate and started the bolts that go into the core support. For the price and weight savings, to me, that wasn't a big deal. Also, it does have the transmission cooler you just have to swap over the two lines from the old to new.

I had mine recored last fall. I'm fortunate to have an old school radiator guy in town. He used a copper core from a source in Maine.

Thats the cheapest one I've seen with both coolers included.