Need advice

movinfast

The kid who had this car before me must have had big rims and the wrong offset. Only on one side of the frame is it banged in. what should I do
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1395965270.409005.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1395965291.557531.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1395965303.957950.jpg
he must have been doing donuts all the time and one time hit a curb. The whole axel seems to be off just a lil
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1395965421.108066.jpg
man I need some help. Still trying to get all the burned rubber off the frame

Measure from center cap to center cap to see if it is the same. Also check control arm bushings while your at it.

Measure from center cap to center cap to see if it is the same. Also check control arm bushings while your at it.
Yeah I measured it's off by 3/4 of an inch. Not too worried about that because I'll be getting all new suspension. My worry is the frame what should I do with the dents? Fill it in with dura glass. Nothing seemed to be tweeeked on the frame. Just dented

3/4" over 20 feet of travel is a huge deal. Cut the rail out and weld a new section in.

currently cutting it the F loose

I think TTAowner has a cut up frame....I'm not sure, but its worth a call.

If its just a suspension tweak and its corrected by new components, no biggie. Be sure.

If its just a suspension tweak and its corrected by new components, no biggie. Be sure.

I think it is suspension tweak because as I unbolted the upper control arm it sits 3/4 away from the axel. To the left as the axel sits to the right.

That's the way they are. Almost every g body will be tighter on one side than the other. The only way I know to correct is with adjustable upper control arms.

Rick

Last edited:
Found a way to get rid of those dang dents. Frame notch. Picking one up on the 15th
You'll be doing more then just the notch. Notching a frame with the kit greatly reduces the strength of the frame. It needs some bracing welded in across the span of the rails. Do a search and look at some other frames.

You'll be doing more then just the notch. Notching a frame with the kit greatly reduces the strength of the frame. It needs some bracing welded in across the span of the rails. Do a search and look at some other frames.
So that frame notch kit that body has isn't a good kit?. I plan on doing the whole frame reinforcement on the rear horns.i also plan on boxing in the frame.

Gbody has a good kit with the bar going horn to horn.

First off...I'd forget ordering from Gbody. There is a thread on here right now from guys who ordered parts at Christmas and still haven't got them.
Second...if your just going in far enough to replace the damage on your frame...it might not be too bad.
Notching weakens the frame greatly. There are guys who weld plate steel on the backside, they add bars behind the notch, or they add support wherever they think it needs it. Running just a notched frame in my area would not hold up very long. We have a ton of uneven intersections, RR tracks, and just basic road construction. It would end up bending sooner or later.
Start thinking about some reinforcement if your really going to do this.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1399278472.260150.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1399278514.376448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1399278567.516190.jpg

First off...I'd forget ordering from Gbody. There is a thread on here right now from guys who ordered parts at Christmas and still haven't got them.
Second...if your just going in far enough to replace the damage on your frame...it might not be too bad.
Notching weakens the frame greatly. There are guys who weld plate steel on the backside, they add bars behind the notch, or they add support wherever they think it needs it. Running just a notched frame in my area would not hold up very long. We have a ton of uneven intersections, RR tracks, and just basic road construction. It would end up bending sooner or later.
Start thinking about some reinforcement if your really going to do this.
View attachment 222587View attachment 222588View attachment 222589
I planned on doing the x frame too. Gns has anew rear horn brace too. You think all that will be over kill or take away from the ride of the car when it's running again?

Nope. I designed the rear brace that GNS is selling. If your car is all stock, then it squeaks and rattles while driving...they all did. Adding the missing body bushings, and bracing really helps. Welding in the GNX rear seat brace is the biggest difference maker I made to my T top car...and my car was a 19,000 mile car at the time.