Need advice on what valve springs to purchase

matt pavao

The cam I have in my engine right now is cc 212/212 hydraulic flattap cam right now the springs that I have are 979-12 should I go with the 980-12 or just keep what I have?

The cam I have in my engine right now is cc 212/212 hydraulic flattap cam right now the springs that I have are 979-12 should I go with the 980-12 or just keep what I have?
Are you having issues or did you just do a cam change? does the engine pull good over 5000? 979 springs seem a bit light for an upgraded cam But how is it working?

Then it's a happy mistake always a good idea to break a cam in with weak springs.
Personally I would swap them out for 981s should be able to spin it to 5600 after

Then it's a happy mistake always a good idea to break a cam in with weak springs.
Personally I would swap them out for 981s should be able to spin it to 5600 after
You don't think that the seat pressure would be to much??

If you are concerned stick with the 980s they will float before the 981s.
I ran 981s for years before I went to a roller my cam was seasoned before the swap much like yours.
980s work for lots of guys if you thrash it lots they will get mushy quick guys that race lots replace there springs regularly.

Fresh 980 should provide better valve train control over used 979's, IF the pressures are verified for/at each valve.

comp 981
Yes it's already in the engine and I'm getting valve float and want rev over 48 to 4900 rpms
comp 981 will work. Do you have any way or the know how to check the installed height? You are going to want to make sure you install this spring at 110#seat pressure. Installed height will need to be 1.700 or very close. You can easilly lose 15#-20# seat pressure if its off

comp 981

comp 981 will work. Do you have any way or the know how to check the installed height? You are going to want to make sure you install this spring at 110#seat pressure. Installed height will need to be 1.700 or very close. You can easilly lose 15#-20# seat pressure if its off
No to both of those questions
comp 981

no to both of those question sorry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 139
Matt I have to ask, since I do not see a build-up signature of your car, does your engine still have the original never been off the car heads, or has this engine been out and apart before? There is a specific reason I ask this because if those heads have never been modified for it there is a problem with the extra valve lift and the exhaust valve guide, The guides need to be be cut down to run that much lift.

Matt I have to ask, since I do not see a build-up signature of your car, does your engine still have the original never been off the car heads, or has this engine been out and apart before? There is a specific reason I ask this because if those heads have never been modified for it there is a problem with the extra valve lift and the exhaust valve guide, The guides need to be be cut down to run that much lift.
yes the whole engine has been fully rebuilt Basically back to stock spec's expect for cam up grade if that helps

yes the whole engine has been fully rebuilt Basically back to stock spec's expect for cam up grade if that helps
you are going to have to remove the exhaust valve springs and look at each retainer and guide to see if they have been crashing, there is a good chance they have been hitting if this was not done. The stock type rebuild worries me the shop may not know to do this unless they are familiar with our turbo buicks. Let me know what you see.

I
you are going to have to remove the exhaust valve springs and look at each retainer and guide to see if they have been crashing, there is a good chance they have been hitting if this was not done. The stock type rebuild worries me the shop may not know to do this unless they are familiar with our turbo buicks. Let me know what you see.
I will defently take a look at it the engine builders is very well known up here in New England, precision engines from dighton ma they have done a lot of turbo buick v6 Especially for bête bernard but thanks very much for the info

Why not call the builder and get his opinion on the springs as well?
Take all the info and come to your own conclusion, I have a buddy that just installed 980s he is having a problem with his shift points, 2-3 shift is at about 5500 rpm that's when his starts to float his cam is a 206/206 tamer than yours with not as much lift.

His card recommended 980s I'm kind of surprised yours had 979s speced.

I

I will defently take a look at it the engine builders is very well known up here in New England, precision engines from dighton ma they have done a lot of turbo buick v6 Especially for bête bernard but thanks very much for the info
Your probly good to go then. I still reccomend the 981 spring.