Need advice on price from the board

LeeRemmos

i have searched and found a few threads regarding price for a posi unit but they seem pretty old. I also see I can pick up a unit from G Body.

I am the third owner of my 87. The second owner tracked down the orig buyer recently and said he still had the factory posi unit in his garage and would be willing to sell for $450. When i bought the car, the story was that GM forgot to install a posi despite being ordered that way so they sent it to the buyer after the fact and he never installed it. ( I got sucha good deal on the car, And it was the only non-conforming piece, paperwork and rpo code-wise, I didnt care). Regardless, he is arranging to give me a copy of the window sticker, which is cool.

So, is $450 too much? Its a semi-daily driver and not in show condition. Not having Posi doesnt really bother me since I dont beat the car and the drag radials seem to overcome the issue when I do get on it. Just dont want to give up a good opportunity if it is one. Thanks

Well I'd say, if your a purist and your RPO sticker in the trunk has G - 80 on it you'd probably want the posi unit. Must be a brand new one for that price as nice used units go for around $250. You can buy a brand new Eaton for that kind of money. I don't really understand getting a copy of the window sticker ? He must have the original to give you a copy ? Why doesn't he just give you the original one? Sure isn't going to do him any good if you own the car now. If the posi unit he has is a new one offer him $350.

i have searched and found a few threads regarding price for a posi unit but they seem pretty old. I also see I can pick up a unit from G Body.

I am the third owner of my 87. The second owner tracked down the orig buyer recently and said he still had the factory posi unit in his garage and would be willing to sell for $450. When i bought the car, the story was that GM forgot to install a posi despite being ordered that way so they sent it to the buyer after the fact and he never installed it. ( I got sucha good deal on the car, And it was the only non-conforming piece, paperwork and rpo code-wise, I didnt care). Regardless, he is arranging to give me a copy of the window sticker, which is cool.

So, is $450 too much? Its a semi-daily driver and not in show condition. Not having Posi doesnt really bother me since I dont beat the car and the drag radials seem to overcome the issue when I do get on it. Just dont want to give up a good opportunity if it is one. Thanks

If never used, then it's NOS, $450.00 is NOT to much to pay.

I believe I paid less than $450 for an Eaton true trac locker. It works great, much better than my original. Of course I was torchering the stock unit for 10 years. Low 11's / high 10's. Lasted for a while until I burnt out the clutches. I think my Eaton is smoother and quieter but that is probably due to the new set up of the ring / pinion and bearings.

It is NOS.....I am not a purist on this car so G80 doesnt bother me. O was thinking in the 3's also but 1952ray seems pretty confident its a good buy. Anyone else care to chime in?

If the RPO code says posi and it isn't.....I'd check to see if a 7.5 wasn't swapped in. I can't see GM just handing him a box with a posi in it.

spend the money and hold on to it. if you decide to sell w car will tie up loose ends on story