Need advice on buying an out of state GN..to California

hustlin12

So I'm looking at an out of state 87 GN..and was wonderful what steps I need to take to get it all smogged and registered in California....the owner claims the car is originally from California and is 100% stock...has anyone out there bought a out of state GN that could give me some advice on what loops you would have to jump through with California DMV? Thank you in advance

Take it to a station that will test for you without submitting to the state (nothing shady there, its all legit). If you pass, have the official test done, if not, you should have some numbers to point you to where your problems might be.

Take it to a station that will test for you without submitting to the state (nothing shady there, its all legit). If you pass, have the official test done, if not, you should have some numbers to point you to where your problems might be.
Do you think that Washington state can smog test for California standards? If so? That would be awesome!

I have no idea. GNs pass Cal smog all the time, but depending on what's been done it can be $$ to get it back in passing shape. 100% stock? Not even a chip? Original MAF?

I bought one from Nevada and brought it in cali last year with no problems. Just make sure you have to open element filters and the stock cat. I bought a emissions chip used off here for like 10 bucks and passed smog no problem. You do have to get a Vin verified or something like that, I had a buddy at a dealer do it for me.

sent from deep within a tomato field

I have no idea. GNs pass Cal smog all the time, but depending on what's been done it can be $$ to get it back in passing shape. 100% stock? Not even a chip? Original MAF?
Yeah... Claims to 100% stock....just kind of nervous about it! Just don't want to get stuck with a $$$ pit

You'll have few problems with CA DMV if the the vehicle is completely stock and mechanically sound. Just make sure it is in good tune, and the entire smog system is intact and functioning normally.

I had my GN shipped from South Dakota to here in California. Mine is far from stock, and after exhausting all options I bought a plane ticket to Washington, brought all my paperwork and just registered it there.

Washington state doesn't have smog check, at all, does it?

No other than federal mandates on emissions equipment, Washington doesn't perform any specific testing which is why I went there to register the vehicle. I'm still susceptible to be inspected by law enforcement and potentially BAR if things got really hairy, but I don't need to get a smog check every 3 years and can have the car in California. I rarely drive the car so everything should work out for me as it has with previous cars in the past.

Is all of CA emissions tested? In WI if VEHICLE IS KEPT in one of only 7 counties located in SE geography along Lake Michigan it then must be tested. Also I think its just vehicles 1996 and newer that are subject to test.

I'm just wondering if there are any similar qualifiers in place in CA.

Is all of CA emissions tested? In WI if VEHICLE IS KEPT in one of only 7 counties located in SE geography along Lake Michigan it then must be tested. Also I think its just vehicles 1996 and newer that are subject to test.

I'm just wondering if there are any similar qualifiers in place in CA.
In ca..all vehicles 1975 and older are tested..but there are a few counties that do not require smog like the clear lake area in ca...

But a coworker has a Dodge Ram viper that only requires a "visual"...

Buying sight unseen is pretty risky. Taking the current owners word about being all stock is more so.
If not personally inspecting before purchase, ask for up close pic of smog equipment.
I personally would never buy sight unseen, even if it meant a trip coast to coast.

Several of the counties in NorCal only have 1 time smog. Pass and that's it, never again; as long as you continue to reside within said county. Humboldt, Lake, etc.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Buying sight unseen is pretty risky. Taking the current owners word about being all stock is more so.
If not personally inspecting before purchase, ask for up close pic of smog equipment.
I personally would never buy sight unseen, even if it meant a trip coast to coast.
Yeah I think I'm going to just leave this one alone!