Need advice, 274 Stage 2 engine

turbobuick

Staff member
Fellas...just an FYI. Saw this block on Fakebook Marketplace. Not sure if that a good deal or not as I am new to the stage 2 world..
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3831244350319483/
I spoke to him about that block and my buddy Tommy actually saw it. Its an early on center block that is not cross bolted in the front and rear mains which isnt a big deal but... The biggest issue I had with it is since it is a new "green" block they require a good bit of machine work. At the price he is asking by the time you machine the block you are at what a TA block cost maybe more depending. The guy is nice and said has a few blocks. He did have a nice used block again on center no cross bolts 4.025 bore. It had roller cam bearing installed which I have run before but again you have to cut the cam journals down and there are extra machining to account for oil passage. He wanted $3500 for that block which is a better deal considering it is less machine work. I just did not want to deal with the extra BS of the roller cam bearings. He also mentioned he had two other damaged/repaired blocks which I did not get details on at the time but they may be good options if repaired correctly.

turbinetom

Chris,
You definitely know your Buicks. I'm certainly not in the market as I am 7 days a week working and cant even get to my own junk we've been talking about. Gotta think there was not much that was not tried on these blocks when it was in its heyday and corporate budgets creeped into the process.

I'm not sure of the rules on this board, but am I doing anything wrong by letting people know when I see something like that?

Regards,
Tom

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
^^ Treed!
Looks like an early block. No main cap tie bolts.
$4K sounds stout.
Chuck,

Chris and I actually discussed this block. Funny thing is that the guy actually has 2. You're correct it would be an early On Center block. A couple of nice things about this block casting is due to the fact that there aren't cross bolts on the #1 main cap there is still a cast in boss which can be machined for a wet sump pick up. They also have provisions for a knock sensor and a dipstick which went away with the cross bolted blocks. I agree $4k is a strong price point.

Neal

Last edited:

turbinetom

Are stage 2 blocks like other platforms whereby ring seal is better in an iron block? Given the choice the alloy block has the advantages for weight and repair options. What’s the thoughts on rigidity in a high boost scenario?

rag231

I think ring seal is going to be determined from how the machinist does the cross hatch in the bores. Ring packages are leaps and bounds of yester year. The TA block has sleeves in it that are probably just as hard as the steel in the steel blocks. Now the difference should come in your wall thickness, rigidity, core shift of block etc. They say a seasoned block runs better than a virgin block. I think that this is where your ring seal and distortions come in to play. What is your idea of hi boost?

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
I know Gene Fleury has been running the same 2 On center V6 engines for probably close to 15 years at over 1500 H.P.

Neal

turbinetom

I'm just speaking in very general terms that my experience with conventional BBC applications it was accepted that an aluminum block , while lighter can lend itself the sealing issues just for the obvious reasons. A lot of discussion in this as related to the stock LS platforms as well...

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
I'm just speaking in very general terms that my experience with conventional BBC applications it was accepted that an aluminum block , while lighter can lend itself the sealing issues just for the obvious reasons. A lot of discussion in this as related to the stock LS platforms as well...
I agree with that line of reasoning. That's why the LS guys like the LQ4 / LQ9 blocks and more than likely why GM decided to make the LSX block out of iron.

Neal

rag231

Neal, Gene is running the odd ball odd fire crank in the engine now. At one time I had 2, a 3.50 and a 3.750 stroke odd fire crank and I traded the 3.750 to a top sportsman guy for a Crower 3.58 even fire crank. None of the turbo guys wanted those cranks because of trying to get the ignition system to be phased correctly. I know who figured out a solution and I might assemble this one some day. Needless to say my 3.50 odd fire is stronger than my 3.50 even fire, its like looking at a SBC crank.

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
Neal, Gene is running the odd ball odd fire crank in the engine now. At one time I had 2, a 3.50 and a 3.750 stroke odd fire crank and I traded the 3.750 to a top sportsman guy for a Crower 3.58 even fire crank. None of the turbo guys wanted those cranks because of trying to get the ignition system to be phased correctly. I know who figured out a solution and I might assemble this one some day. Needless to say my 3.50 odd fire is stronger than my 3.50 even fire, its like looking at a SBC crank.
He has 2 engines. One Odd fire and an Even fire backup motor. He got the Odd fire crank from me 15 + years ago. It's a 3.625" stroke billet as you might imagine. I bought 2 engines from a guy in Oregon and one of them was an Odd fire.

I once had a chance to buy a 3.750" stroke Odd fire crank from Crower. I wasn't sure what I'd do with it to be honest. I think it might have ended up in John Gallina's 6 second twin turbo car.

Neal