Brutal 6 Racing
This guy likes Stage 2 engines too!

Neal

Attachments

• IMG_38371.jpg
    IMG_38371.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87

Justin Terry

Dang..wish you had asked sooner. We already threw the motor in the dumpster...

My company owner bought the car (for reasons unknown to me, he ain't no Buick guy!) He just made arrangements to transport it to our shop in FL so when it gets here, I'll update with what's what. He is not sure what he is going to do with it..talking about getting it running as it is, he currently is involved in vintage racing, but with old indy cars, but says there is room for it in SVRA (vintage racing association) that he belongs to.

What part of FL? I'm possibly interested in the heads. Maybe more as well.

turbinetom

Hi Justin,
We are in Orlando, but still have not received the car, and the boss is not even sure what he is going to do with it. Engine could be complete junk..just no way of knowing.
Tom

turbinetom

Heres a little update on this story for anyone who cares..or just file it in the "who gives a ......" slot. We received the car today. I did not have much time to check it out but did see it is a 25500153 on the block, intake says 25500029. The distributor has a metalized decal saying "even fire buick" on it. Overall I'm guessing this is a good start. I did not see a casting number on the heads yet, but there is a very faded tag on the engine that says "needs one rocker". Hopefully, when we get time we will investigate it further, but spare time for me is like "extra money"..even when you have it it never seems to be enough.

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
I'm tuned in and waiting to see what you find. Fingers crossed it ends up being something good.

Neal

turbinetom

I'm tuned in and waiting to see what you find. Fingers crossed it ends up being something good.

Neal
OK..had a few minutes this afternoon to pull the valve covers. The engine is indeed missing a pair of rockers, but the mystery is deeper because while everything is totally sealed up, the lifters and pushrods on that cylinder are missing as well. From what I see, the cam lobes look clean, no damage. I suppose you could fish the lifters out without removing the heads or manifold..looks tight but possible (??)
64220260547__9A3B74D8-2A17-4892-939D-17FBFDA0E15B.jpg
64220321400__BADEB81D-9920-41F9-A157-A54B6ABFB1A7.jpg
64220321400__BADEB81D-9920-41F9-A157-A54B6ABFB1A7.jpg
64220260547__9A3B74D8-2A17-4892-939D-17FBFDA0E15B.jpg

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Interesting... Heads are on with bolts.
have you pulled the plugs?
Would be interesting to see what that empty cyl looks like.

750H.P.V6

Brutal 6 Racing
The Jessel rocker arms are a nice find even if one pair are missing. I'd pull the engine out of the car and start disassembling it to see what's really going on.

Neal

turbinetom

Interesting... Heads are on with bolts.
have you pulled the plugs?
Would be interesting to see what that empty cyl looks like.
Hi Chuck,
Thats the next step, we have a borescope as well. The whole thing is weird because there is no evidence the engine is pieced together for a display..it still has coolant in the radiator. My hunch now is that someone needed those parts at some point..maybe even the Speeway Museum that sold it, that may explain the "IOU" tag attached that says "needs one rocker assy". If it were a mock up, why put any internals in it at all? Hopefully I can get some time, might be further ahead to pull the engine. You would think this thing is accesible but with all the bars around it and the stahl plates even the plugs are not so easy.

turbinetom

" Heads are on with bolts" I noticed that as well, but then I thought , normally aspirated I'm not sure studs were needed. Indy cars with turbo, Buick GN people..yeah I can see studs. I dont think with studs you could pull these heads in this car. We are going to contact the driver to see if he has info on who actually built the engine. There is a part on it that says "Jack Tant Racing Engines"

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
My Buick engine machinist's dad, Hoyt Grimes, was in Mr Jack Tant's era.
A super gentleman, and a book of knowledge. Raced in the old southern dirt track days.