Need a suggestion for rear speakers 1987 GN

DARTHV6

I removed my roll bar so now I have two big holes where some speakers can go. I don’t know the first thing about speakers but I know I have some old looking wires back there. I have the cassette player that still works and the cool speakers in the door. I’m not too into music in this car so any suggestion to cover the hole for the time being is cool.
Thanks for the help!
Art.
2E44A70A-D1F8-45C1-BAF3-99EF8D2D5287.jpeg

Attachments

• 848BE378-F9B3-46CB-A6B9-912E02708410.jpeg
    848BE378-F9B3-46CB-A6B9-912E02708410.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • AA1B7E36-0434-499E-9586-3848D99658B3.jpeg
    AA1B7E36-0434-499E-9586-3848D99658B3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
Kicker still makes a 4x10 for that location:

You'll have to make a little adapter with some crimp-on spade connectors to go into the factory harness bits you're holding there.

Using the old OEM Ac Delco radio's it is important to match the impedance of the original speakers. If not you may run the risk of damaging the amp in the radio.

You'll have to make a little adapter with some crimp-on spade connectors to go into the factory harness bits you're holding there.
Looks like they will fit. I’m learning I have to do some research on the ohms and stuff.

If you go with 4 ohm speakers just install a small amplifier back there that has "High Level Inputs" or "Speaker Level Inputs" which would allow the factory radio speaker wires to go into the new amp. and the amp. would power safely the usual 4 ohm speakers found in car stereos. If you found 8 ohm 4 x 10 speakers you could probably use them without cooking the factory radio as well.
If running a small amp. you would need to run power and ground on 8 or 10 gauge new wiring from a fused source, a remote turn on wire (to turn on the new amp.) may be needed also which could be 20-22 gauge single conductor wire off a manual switch or power from the power antenna output which goes on as soon as the factory radios are turned on.

Hey Basam, long time no hear! Yeah I Don’t know anything about ohms. Are the ones Turbo6 in KY in that range?
I believe the ones he linked are 4 ohms. I’ll be switching to a 6x9 as they were the only ones I could find in 10 ohms (Basam’s my dad.. He got his kid into Buicks.. now his kid owns a 400 horse wh1o_O)

These are pretty decent speakers, good efficiency with a sensitivity of 88.

Metra speaker harnesses make things easier. I believe the 72-4500 are the right one.

If you go with 4 ohm speakers just install a small amplifier back there that has "High Level Inputs" or "Speaker Level Inputs" which would allow the factory radio speaker wires to go into the new amp. and the amp. would power safely the usual 4 ohm speakers found in car stereos. If you found 8 ohm 4 x 10 speakers you could probably use them without cooking the factory radio as well.
If running a small amp. you would need to run power and ground on 8 or 10 gauge new wiring from a fused source, a remote turn on wire (to turn on the new amp.) may be needed also which could be 20-22 gauge single conductor wire off a manual switch or power from the power antenna output which goes on as soon as the factory radios are turned on.

I have a 20 watt RMS x 2 channel amp for the rear deck speakers and it works very well.

I’m not a huge fan of BOSS audio stuff, but for $40 this isn’t bad.
With distortion at .01% , a signal to noise ratio of 90db, and high level inputs it should do the trick.
Although it says 200 watts max at 2 ohms, if you run 4 ohm speakers it’s half that at 100w. Nominal power is typically half the max at 50w. Divided by 2 speakers is approx. 25 watts RMS at 4 ohms.
The fuse size is 7.5A so 12ga. wire would be plenty, but for the distance I’d go 10ga wire.

I believe the ones he linked are 4 ohms. I’ll be switching to a 6x9 as they were the only ones I could find in 10 ohms (Basam’s my dad.. He got his kid into Buicks.. now his kid owns a 400 horse wh1o_O)
Instead of fighting with the 6x9s, which likely won't fit without adapters and a lot of cussing, why not just put resistors on the Kickers?

Looks like they will fit. I’m learning I have to do some research on the ohms and stuff.
Ok kid!

Instead of fighting with the 6x9s, which likely won't fit without adapters and a lot of cussing, why not just put resistors on the Kickers?

Cuz I don’t know what I’m doing. And I just something to plug into these old wires that will cover these holes and not blow up my radio/ cassette player. Not that easy I’m finding
thanks
Art

I thought 4 ohm are fine for the back because they aren't ran in series like the fronts. They just won't be as loud. I put 4 ohm in the back and their loud enough for me.

I thought 4 ohm are fine for the back because they aren't ran in series like the fronts. They just won't be as loud. I put 4 ohm in the back and their loud enough for me.
That’s all I want! More important fo me to hide the holes than to have loud music. In the future I’ll change out the rear deck for out $140.00

I think I have it backwards, they'll be louder with 4 ohm. I haven't blown it up yet but I guess I'll find out. If I do it gives me an excuse to upgrade.

I haven’t had any troubles running 4 ohm speakers on other GM vehicles with factory radios over the years either.
A 4 ohm speaker has less resistance and is closer to a direct short than a 10 ohm speaker. The lower the resistance the more current flows and creates more heat on the factory radio.
Maybe we enjoy the turbo whistle more than the radio and don’t have the music cranked up all the time??