My theory of GN motor using 02 electronics

Quik

Mr 800rwhp
Ive had this theory in my mind for past day or so. I was speaking with a GN owner and he said how the GNs are kinda unintelligent when it comes to the pcm. Now im very familiar with the LS world and I use the HPtuners to dial these monsters in. Now the later model computers for the 3.8s are almost Identical to the LS computers. Now say i took a GN motor and say a 2002 3.8 harness. Granted i havent looked at either in person lately. Now say i took that harness i should be able to make it work on the GN motor? Cause its a walk i nhe park to tune my LS motor with HPtuners. this could be had for cheap, probably 150 bucks for whole harness and pcm. I already have the software.

Now you guys are the GN Gurus, do any of you see this not happeing? I know someoen took the LS harnes and made it work on the LT1s.

George

Your thinking is right...

I've turbo'd several 98 OBD2 Series2 3.8's in F-bodys. Soon to have a forward face turbo kit avlbl.

You can use the 98 OBD2 system on the older 3.8L If the Cam signal put out by the stock GN sensor is the same phazing as the newer one in the series2
You'd have to use a newer ballancer off a 3.8LSeries2 so it can feed the 98 Computer the right signals there. I know the guy with the yellow Hybrid Malibu has adapted that ballancer to the GN engine for quicker starts.
The OBD2 system with HPTuners is nice and it cross fuels with the 2 primary Narrowband o2's.
Newer coil packs as well. (which we can adapt with our old system too.)
So the answer is yes definatly just need the two
details on cam/crank sensor ..everything else is simple. You'll have to re-scale the MAF you choose as well.. but that's pie. ;)
~Scott

thats what i thought, the crank and cam was only thing to worry about. I wouldnt worry about a MAF its a bandaid in tuning. My truck is OLSD which is nice not using the maf

you will want to check this thread where it has allready been done to a GN:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/257876-series-ii-l67-grand-national.html

this guy took it a step further and also updated to the series 2 3800 engine in his gn , it is still a work in progress

I Realize this can be a bit blasphemous on this site and I will install my flame suit but realize that original blocks are getting rarer every year and you can get a complete 3800 long block anywhere from $300-$800 depending on miles and if its a series 3 L32 with the powdered metal con rods

stock 3800 s3 short blocks have survived 9 sec passes- factory assemblies , they are tough

link to 3800 engine teardown with good explanation of features:

L67 Engine Teardown - Thrasher Engineered Performance 3800 & 3800SC Pontiac Grand Prix GTP & Buick Regal GS

I would also like to figure out how to use newer electronics on the LC2. It would be a good alt. to running fast or bigstuff 3.

If you're looking for a SC3800 engine, I have one.

It's brand new, 1999, and has fuel injectors and supercharger. Never been run, missing accessories and oil pan. I had a warehouse full of these crate motors, and this is the last one left.

Let me know if you're interested. The price is right....

If you're looking for a SC3800 engine, I have one.

It's brand new, 1999, and has fuel injectors and supercharger. Never been run, missing accessories and oil pan. I had a warehouse full of these crate motors, and this is the last one left.

Let me know if you're interested. The price is right....

could you pm me your price and where the engine is located please ?

you will want to check this thread where it has allready been done to a GN:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/257876-series-ii-l67-grand-national.html

this guy took it a step further and also updated to the series 2 3800 engine in his gn , it is still a work in progress

I Realize this can be a bit blasphemous on this site and I will install my flame suit but realize that original blocks are getting rarer every year and you can get a complete 3800 long block anywhere from $300-$800 depending on miles and if its a series 3 L32 with the powdered metal con rods

stock 3800 s3 short blocks have survived 9 sec passes- factory assemblies , they are tough

link to 3800 engine teardown with good explanation of features:

L67 Engine Teardown - Thrasher Engineered Performance 3800 & 3800SC Pontiac Grand Prix GTP & Buick Regal GS
Well here I am 10 years after this op and I'm going to be building a 3800 series 2 for my GN. I wish I would've went this route instead of building a 109 block. I would've daved on crank, main caps and heads.

Wow, a blast from the past. I am just Pershing the activity here with the idea I want to do a budget ecm and the hptuners is something we have so that base is covered. We do have an L67 sc3800 with computer my son is swapping into an 85 fiero so I'm going to keep an eye on that with the idea this computer might be used to upgrade/replace the stock one.
Did anyone get into the harness and produce a pinout chart or spread sheet to know what we would swap to? I'm on the trail of a roller(actually not even rolling) turbo LTD the guy took apart to ls swap and lost interest so I'm feeling out options for powering it. I have two 4.1l blocks and could do a 109 3.8 but this 3800 seems like a viable way to go if I can find one from an f body so the trans bolts up.