My run in with David Reynolds a.k.a Murdock

nolanator

@none_more_black
To everyone,
First I would like to say that I am writing this with apprehension. Mr. Reynolds has been a contributing member to this board and the TR community for more than 10 years, and although this may be an isolated incident, my reason for documenting it stems primarily from another member who posted that I shouldn't be worried due to his apparent flawless feedback/reputation. Transactions like this need to be documented for the sake of other members and for the sake of this board's reputation as a safe place to buy and sell.

I would like to also point out that my transaction with Mr. Reynolds did not take place on this board, but rather on ebay, but due to the size of this community, it should be noted, regardless, so here we go:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 10th: I purchased a Turbonetics 7068 turbocharger from Mr. Reynolds at a price of $720. The package was due to arrive Aug. 17th

August 11th: My payment went through via PayPal.

August 15th: After requesting tracking information, I was told the item went out via USPS Ground and I would be sent the shipping information upon his return to the shop. The expected arrival date of the package was now Aug. 20th.

August 17th: After again requesting information on shipping, Mr. Reynolds stated that since he wasn't using an "ebay attached shipping service", he could not mark the item shipped. This raised the first red flag since his original message stated that the product had gone out USPS Ground. After instructing Mr. Reynolds on how to mark the item shipped despite his 300+ transactions on ebay, he again advised me that he would insert the tracking information upon returning to his shop, and assured me that th package had shipped out the previous Friday.

August 18th: After not hearing from Mr. Reynolds that day, I inquired once again about the tracking information. His reply stated that he had actually used a "third party shipping system that was much cheaper than the others." Additionally he mentioned that if I was going to be so impatient, he would offer me a refund. A later message from him that day stated that he had recently moved locations and was sorting through some packages, so there might have been a delay.

August 20th: After receiving no further information, I discover his contact information and call him on the phone. He stuck to his previous story, stating the package had indeed gone out, but offered me a refund regardless, saying he could "recall the package" from wherever it was at that time, and then I received this message.
THESE ARE HIS WORDS VERBATIM:

"I cannot confirm whether it was shipped or not, I would Assume not. This is a similar issue with (deleted name) and was done by (deleted name) trying to take money for parts she can not sell. Nobody has been screwed out of anything, I have only had to issue refunds for any item not received and she can no longer access my account or sites. I will do whatever I can to get you the turbo, or a refund. I have been trying for days to get to the bottom of this and a couple other items sold. Things I actually do not even possess. (deleted name) was not screwed as the engine was shipped but he also stopped communicating with me and started going behind my back to talk to (deleted name) and she took advantage of it . All I have ever asked is for him to cooperate and give me whatever information he has on her contacting him and he refuses for whatever reason. Do not think I have willingly created this but will solve it the best I can. You Will get your turbo or your 720.00. Give me the rest of the day, otherwise open a resolution case with ebay if your uncomfortable, as you are protected no matter what."

I received another message afterwards containing more personal information regarding his current state of affairs, and how it plays into this current scenario, but you get the idea.

It was at this point, I opened a case through eBay, and I am scheduled to receive a refund on the item on the 24th of this month.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although, I got lucky and will be receiving a refund, I know some of you guys still prefer money orders and cashiers checks. I would hate to see good people go through similar issues and wind up on the losing end.

Thank you.

It's convoluted, guys.. Best to avoid dealing w/ him.
More than 1 name at the phone # I have on caller ID records....

Disregard that refund information. I assumed that since the refund was posted in my account, it had gone through, but what actually happened was Mr. Reynolds paid via E-Check on August 20th and then withdrew the check, causing it to bounce. On August 25th, PayPal attempted to speak to his bank and allegedly he closed the account to avoid paying. I just got off the phone with PayPal who states that if a payment does not clear by the end of next week, I will be reimbursed through PayPal and Mr. Reynolds information will be sent to collections. I can't stress enough how much you should avoid this guy.

Stay away from David Reynolds. He WILL steal/ attempt to steal your money.
Turbobuick username: Murdock
His business: 702 Synthetics
ebay username: 702clements

Last edited:
Update: Finally received a refund about 4 days after my last post. It's fortunate that I am relatively knowledgeable with regards to how ebay and paypal work. I can easily see most people just not having the resources or patience to figure out a situation such as this. I came very close to losing that money, and it took three phone calls to PayPal's corporate office to correct the situation.

Last edited: