My new car........at least its Turbo!

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
Well Im sorry to say its an import, but at least its not a POS honda with a cannon for an exhaust. This car is a 91 Isuzu Impulse RS, not many of them made it over here, I think about 1200 were imported to the US and Canada. A quick rundown of the car,1.6L Turbo, AWD, 5sp, 144K on the clock, running 9psi (I know o_O). Car weights about 2700lbs, and has some suspension work. I think there is a total of 171 of these cars registered in the US as of now.
impulse 030.JPG
impulse 031.JPG
impulse 032.JPG
impulse 033.JPG

That is awesome! I first learned of this car about a year ago, and really thought it sounded like a fun little rocket. Let us know how you enjoy it.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

Well the car is some much fun I decided to get a speeding ticket with it yesterday after owning it for 2 hours, lol. Its not fast, but first and second pull pretty good for what it is. I still have to do more research on the car, but I dont plan on going over 15 psi eventually, maybe do a front mount. I paid 2500 for it, its in fair condition.

Almost forgot pics of the money shot!!! The turbo so small it barely fits under the hood, lol.

Attachments

• impulsers 023.JPG
    impulsers 023.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
  • impulsers 024.JPG
    impulsers 024.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
That engine bay looks clean man.. I like the way the ic sits in top of everything. Different is not always gud, but this car is differnt and it looks gud.. I like the fact that is awd!!

My neighbour is really into those cars!! He has two and each one is a two tone paint job blue and green.
Cool lookin cars.

Awwwee, look how cute that intercooler is, lol. In all seriousness though, that is freakin' awesome. I would totally rock that car. I always like driving unusual stuff.

those were a fancy model of the geo storm,which was made by isuzu. i worked on them when they were new, but only a couple of the turbo isuzu models. cool car. probably not to many around theses days

Awwwee, look how cute that intercooler is, lol. In all seriousness though, that is freakin' awesome. I would totally rock that car. I always like driving unusual stuff.

Its not the size that matters............................... who am I kidding of course size matters. lol

Thanks for the compliments guys. Maybe one day I'll get another GN............... On another note, parts for this car are really hard to find, I though GN's were bad :eek:

Well the car is so much fun I decided to get a speeding ticket with it yesterday after owning it for 2 hours, lol. .............. lol.

Thanks Dave, that was the best laugh I have had in a week! :D

"Driving like you stole it" will get you in hot water sometimes, good luck with the car from here on. :)

Hey, I remember those! They were a neat little package and they competed with the lesser-known Celica All-Trac during that same time period.

The Impulse was praised for its handling beacause of the "Lotus Tuned Suspension".

It looks like a clean example you have there. Good luck with it.

Even fancier, the Lotus Elan of the same time. I saw one for sale near the in-laws' place the other day. What a bunch of awesomely-hideous little cars.

I debated selling my Lexus for a while and picking up an old Geo Storm to AutoX with, but I think I'll stick with the SC since she's been so good to me.

Even fancier, the Lotus Elan of the same time. I saw one for sale near the in-laws' place the other day. What a bunch of awesomely-hideous little cars.

I debated selling my Lexus for a while and picking up an old Geo Storm to AutoX with, but I think I'll stick with the SC since she's been so good to me.

The guy I bought it from has a Elan too.......... I'd rather have the Isuzu.

Hate to bump this thread, but I actually got good pictures taken the other week. And for a shame-less plug, the guy who took these only charged me $40 which included still's and rolling shots, so for the guys in PA that are interested feel free to contact me if you want some good shots of your car.
7.jpg
6.jpg
10.jpg
17.jpg
20.jpg

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 74
If it makes you feel any better, the day after I bought the GN I got a speeding ticket for 79 in a 40. $225 fine and four points against the ole license. Wifey was really happy. She said I was doing twice the speed limit! Really? 80 is twice the speed limit and I wasn't doing 80 I was doing 79 and I have proof. The officer wrote down 79 not 80. Jeez. When will she learn? She didn't like my humor.

Almost looks like a 4g63 motor. If it is that car is either going to be a rocket or a brick. My friends got a 800hp talon with a 4g63 and hearing it run you would never guess it was fast

Hey Dave. Nimbus says you wouldn't have gotten that ticket if you would have let him drive.

Nothing like owning an orphan. There's a good tip from Dan on sourcing the engine parts. I don't think the transaxle/transfer case is the same though. Might be some JDM parts for it. Funny how those Elan owners swear that the Lotus is the best handling AWD sports car of all time. I dont know what that Handling by Lotus emblem does for your dandy.

I had a good friend who used to AutoX a Storm GSI. Not a bad car as far as FWD cars go. If you have some free time try doing a google search for Storm modifactions. Back around 91-93 GM sponsored one of those Celebrity Racing Series. You know,they get a bunch of B-Listers and let them do hot laps before a Formula 1 or Trans Am race. Anyway a well know race shop prepped a bunch of Storm GSI racers. Did the Baer style big brake mods and bolted on a header and gutted cat along with a PCM reflash.

oh this thing. I remember these.. used to spank them in my POS Honda on squeeze all the time circa 93' ;)