My new 1986 GN T-Top write up

1986 GN T-Top
The car is complete and it runs.
It has a few mods.
This is the previous owners list

TE-44, K&N cold air kit, 3"THDP w/dump, Alky kit(alkycontrol), TT Alky chip, 42lb injectors, ATR Double Pumper w/ hotwire kit, Accufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Powerlogger, and Scanmaster. .

I plan on verifying the condition of everything and then getting started on the serious stuff.

The serious stuff
T-Top car So yes the T-Tops leak.
For those who don't know the water travels inside the A-pillars and onto the floor boards.
So the scope of work is the replace the front section of the T roof look into the A-pillars on how bad they are and replace thinned out floor pans.
the drivers door is also shot.

The good news is that looks like the only mayor problems that the car has.

The interior is over all pretty good.
The driver seat needs to be recovered and needs a new lower padding.

the other stuff that the car needs is regular wear items.
The suspension is shot.
The brakes feel pretty damn good.
Engine and trans felt good

please bear with me on this thing as i will jump around on the "To do" list
easy, hard, $$$$ and help will dictate the pace.

The parts fishing was already started and in between that i will do some of the easy stuff to keep things moving.
The gauges in the radio slot are at the top of the "Must Go" list. I NEED a radio in a car.

If the engine and trans are numbers matching they will get pulled and stored. As i don't want my dumbness and rookieness
icon_confused.gif
to blow it up.

This being a T-Top car i will put every frame support and brace available and weld in a few extras.
Please feel free to offer good positive advice. on mods restoration and so on.
Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:
hey Pal, I like the new G/N... I do have one beef thou, not every T Top car leaks!!!!! well at least not now. All the best with the new car.

This is what you might find. It is fixable. Lots of work.., I got the top from a montie at the bone yard for parts.

Attachments

• topbad2.jpg
    topbad2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 837
  • toppart1.jpg
    toppart1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 832
  • ttopfixed.jpg
    ttopfixed.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 797
1986 GN T-Top
The car is complete and it runs.
It has a few mods.
This is the previous owners list
TE-44, K&N cold air kit, 3"THDP w/dump, Alky kit(alkycontrol), TT Alky chip, 42lb injectors, ATR Double Pumper w/ hotwire kit, Accufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Powerlogger, and Scanmaster. .

I plan on verifying the condition of everything and then getting started on the serious stuff.

The serious stuff
T-Top car So yes the T-Tops leak.
For those who don't know the water travels inside the A-pillars and onto the floor boards.
So the scope of work is the replace the front section of the T roof look into the A-pillars on how bad they are and replace thinned out floor pans.
the drivers door is also shot.

The good news is that looks like the only mayor problems that the car has.

The interior is over all pretty good.
The driver seat needs to be recovered and needs a new lower padding.

the other stuff that the car needs is regular wear items.
The suspension is shot.
The brakes feel pretty damn good.
Engine and trans felt good

please bear with me on this thing as i will jump around on the "To do" list
easy, hard, $$$$ and help will dictate the pace.

The parts fishing was already started and in between that i will do some of the easy stuff to keep things moving.
The gauges in the radio slot are at the top of the "Must Go" list. I NEED a radio in a car.
If the engine and trans are numbers matching they will get pulled and stored. As i don't want my dumbness and rookieness
icon_confused.gif
to blow it up.

This being a T-Top car i will put every frame support and brace available and weld in a few extras.
Please feel free to offer good positive advice. on mods restoration and so on.
Thanks for your help guys.

I bought one with leaky tops also. gutted the inside, had sheet metal welded where the floor pans had rusted, coated the whole inside with chassis saver, installed heat shield on floor, replaced carpet, seat covers, headliner, sun visors, chrome dash strip, upper door panels, spray painted all plastic parts with paint form G-Body parts and ordered a recovered steering wheel from ebay. Then replaced all the weather stripping around the doors and t-tops. Did some minor rust repair with fiberglass and the chassis saver coating around the t-tops. I also need some rust repair at the bottom of the drivers door and at the bottom of the passenger side rear quarter panel. I replaced the plastic cam gear and timing chain, and many other engine parts. I basically took it down to the bare block while the engine was still in the car, and what I didnt replace, I cleaned up.

Attachments

• Grand National Carpet 002.jpg
    Grand National Carpet 002.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 690
  • DSCN2922.JPG
    DSCN2922.JPG
    849.1 KB · Views: 651
thats the same direction i am heading
I bought one with leaky tops also. gutted the inside, had sheet metal welded where the floor pans had rusted, coated the whole inside with chassis saver, installed heat shield on floor, replaced carpet, seat covers, headliner, sun visors, chrome dash strip, upper door panels, spray painted all plastic parts with paint form G-Body parts and ordered a recovered steering wheel from ebay. Then replaced all the weather stripping around the doors and t-tops. Did some minor rust repair with fiberglass and the chassis saver coating around the t-tops. I also need some rust repair at the bottom of the drivers door and at the bottom of the passenger side rear quarter panel. I replaced the plastic cam gear and timing chain, and many other engine parts. I basically took it down to the bare block while the engine was still in the car, and what I didnt replace, I cleaned up.

hey Pal, I like the new G/N... I do have one beef thou, not every T Top car leaks!!!!! well at least not now. All the best with the new car.
lets take the beef to the track so that i can show you my tail lights, Winner buys dinner. Are you in??

JUST CHECKING .. IVE BEEN 10:85 WITH MINE SO FAR .. WAITING FOR THE WEATHER TOO BREAK .. I WANT A 10:50 WITH THIS SET UP . THEN IM GONNA DO AN 8 SEC STREET PACKAGE .. SEE WHERE THAT TAKES ME .. GOOD LUCK WITH THE CUT AND HACK . SEE YOU AT T6P LATER ?

JUST CHECKING .. IVE BEEN 10:85 WITH MINE SO FAR .. WAITING FOR THE WEATHER TOO BREAK .. I WANT A 10:50 WITH THIS SET UP . THEN IM GONNA DO AN 8 SEC STREET PACKAGE .. SEE WHERE THAT TAKES ME .. GOOD LUCK WITH THE CUT AND HACK . SEE YOU AT T6P LATER ?
The "arroz con culo"
this engine is going into my brothers car (GN) for DD duty. until he gets his engine built by Husek - Stroker, heads, roller cam, blah blah blah.
My Chevelle's engine is going into this car ("My new GN T-Top") and i am going to look for the 10.80s with a V6 in this car. The Chevelle is going to be side lined getting a complete make over including a turbo V8.
Hope that makes some sort of sense...

As for the T-Top work i am bringing in a professional to handle that and i am going to use as many NEW parts available for the job.

The inner rockers are in great shape so is the trunk floor , trunk drop-offs and 1/4s.
i am over all really happy with this car and its condition. Yes it needs work but i don't mind it.

The "arroz con culo"
this engine is going into my brothers car (GN) for DD duty. until he gets his engine built by Husek - Stroker, heads, roller cam, blah blah blah.
My Chevelle's engine is going into this car ("My new GN T-Top") and i am going to look for the 10.80s with a V6 in this car. The Chevelle is going to be side lined getting a complete make over including a turbo V8.
Hope that makes some sort of sense...

As for the T-Top work i am bringing in a professional to handle that and i am going to use as many NEW parts available for the job.
T
he inner rockers are in great shape so is the trunk, drop-offs and 1/4s.
i am over all really happy with this car and its condition. Yes it needs work but i don't mind it.
WELL AFTERALL . IT'S WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY THAT COUNTS . I LOOK FORWORD TOO SEEING IT COMPLETED .

i thought that it was going to be easy to get going on this car since i had one before and a full transplant on my Monte, but today i opened the hood and i was like "duhhhh"
Anyway
First things first
That big relay on the right side (driver side) gets pulled and dumped with NO other action right?
thats the one that turns on the engine cooling fan and kills the battery wile the car is off.

Also the turbo has a precision exhaust housing, If i remember correctly an OE garret housing would help in the spool-up department.

New battery is in.
The car starts right up idles good.
the "To Do" list is growing- that was expected.

Before
1986GN001.jpg

After
1986GN030.jpg

that pipe is there holding the "Bent" AC line in its new (OE) position so that it doesn't crush the filter again.

on all 6 injectors, both injector clips are missing
1986GN012.jpg

1986GN002.jpg

a bunch of wires at the battery, my guess is that these wires were relocated from the starter to the battery.
I like the idea but not they way it was done.

1986GN011.jpg

1986GN010.jpg

To be fair these wires were nicely tucked under the reserve tank and onto the side post, i just don't like any extra rings on the battery posts, and i don't like the post extensions. i rather use a DT battery and add the extra wiring to the other battery post.