My gauge cluster build

bustedknuckle

Since this information might be helpful to someone else and everybody likes to see stuff coming together i thought i'd post up my gauge cluster build.

I thought about doing something like this here
IMG_7981.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

http://www.turbobuickmods.com/products/ ... /index.htm (version #2, didnt like any of the other plates either really)
but didnt like how all the gauges were so bunched in together and he never returned any of my phone calls or emails so i decided to make my own dash plate to house the gauges

Heres the gauges
Picture437-1.jpg

Autometer ultra light carbn fiber series 3-3/8 tach and speedo and all other gauges are 2-1/16

I am going to put 6 gauges in the dash cluster tach,speedo,mech oil press, mech water temp,volt and fuel level. then i have two more for the center console, nitrious press and trans temp

dashbezel.jpg

Here is my hand drawn print of dimensions after cutting out the center of the dash bezel. and the design layout of what i want it to look like. These are all inside dimensions given

handdrawnprint-1.jpg

Then i went to work on doing a CAD drawing to make everything Symmetrical. the steering column is auctually offset to the left a 1/2".

CADdrawing-1.jpg

And finally a blueprint to cut it out on the CNC
dont tell my boss. I figured these dimensions will help someone out one of these days

gaugeblueprint-1.jpg

After cutting it out on the CNC
Picture439-1.jpg

duburred and now the mounting design comes into play. Not sure exactlly yet tho. saved my self alot of room on the edges for mounting points.

Picture442-1.jpg

gauges set into place
Picture440.jpg

Thats all for now, ill keep this updated as i chug along on the project

dash

Man what an awesome job so far,and thanks for posting drawings with dimensions as I am drawing ideas up myself for a plate your post realy helps thanks alot!!Cant wait to see finished product.:cool:

dash

The best part is sounds like he is doing this while on the clock,thats awesome in it self right there,getting paid to make hot rod parts for your own car,awesome!!!!!!!!:D

Great job! If you re interested in making a few copies id be interested in buying some from you.

Looks good Im going to have some one with a CNC make the hole Dash panel for me to totaly replace the dash pannel. You should make one for your car since you have the equpment. For LEDs I used these from speedway Universal L.E.D. Indicator Bulbs
but I ened up not using them and had speedhut install the LED in to my speedo for them instead.
here is my dash http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/325265-gnx-inspired-dash.html and more on my web site https://sites.google.com/site/whatwazithinking/grand-national/custom-gauge-panel-gnx-style

i have one question how thick is the plate you are using.I am going to be making my own cluster poanel,starting this week.Just wondering on thick ness of the metal...thank

i have one question how thick is the plate you are using.I am going to be making my own cluster poanel,starting this week.Just wondering on thick ness of the metal...thank

From the CAD blueprint, it appears to be .125

I wish I could pay someone in the Austin area to do this for me, I dont have the tools or the time, but need it w/25psi and idiot lights on a 25yo stock motor that the valve covers have never been off of.

teaser pic, still not completly finished

looks to be about 20mph 3k rpm lol
gaugepanel.jpg

Fantastic looking project. Now all you need do is punch holes for turn indicators, high beam indicator, and don't forget to add one for the SES indicator.