My first 109 build

scojack_2001

Livin' Like A Refugee
Finally got around to making a thread here. Freshened up the original 109 in my GN. Engine had 133k when I pulled it. Ran great. No problems other than it was drystarting. Car ran great and I drove it everywhere. Found it to be bone stock, unopened and no mods. Other than a replacement timing set and Comp valvesprings. Cam looked good and so did the lifters.

Fully freshened up with TRW/Sealed Power pistons. Still standard bore/stroke and a standard crank. Looks good.

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02767.jpg

DSC02768.jpg

Hopefully putting it together sometime this week if Im not working late. Gotta setup the endplay on the cam which is my next biggest hurdle. Every thing else is easy.

Looking good Scott, I gotta say I'm a bit jealous, lol. Still waiting to get mine back ;)

Looking good buddy, what is the lift on your cam and what springs/lifters are you using? also what did you use on your shop floor for paint and how is it holding up I am gonna do mine soon?

The pistons came in the engine kit that the machine shop got. Cam is a 210/215 Comp roller .517"/.517" lift. Using PBM/Morel lifters and the springs that came in the kit. We did the floor about 5 years ago, I think it was the U Coat It stuff. Its holding up okay but doesn't like sticky tires too much. And the prep work is involved too.

Here are some more pics.

This one shows the TA Performance timing chain and the HR Parts motor mounts installed.

Timing cover final instaled.

It's all ready to drop in.

Thanks guys. Gonna ironman it tomorrow and get the thing running. I dont care how long it takes. It might be clean now, but its a Buick; so I know that wont last long hahahaha.

And Earl, tell me about it! I almost didnt want to put it on the motor...:);)

I really like seeing that. It's nice to actually see my parts installed.

A trick to keep it looking like new is to go to our local Yamaha shop and get some Yamaha silicon spray. That stuff will coat it with something that will keep the corrosion at bay damn near forever. My engine's been built for over a year and it looks just like yours. (it'll also make all the black plastic and rubber look like new too)

Sorry for the late reply guys. Been a busy week for me and didnt have much time to do anything.

Car is back together and running. Im pretty sure the cam sensor is still out just a little bit. Had to get a new crank sensor as well. Balancer was a little close and clipped it. Runs good. Makes DAMN GOOD oil pressure. Thanks Earl. :) Seeing ~75psi on a cold start and 30psi on a hot idle in gear. 10w30 dino. Got a few other minor things to do but its almost there.

Here is a short video my buddy took of the car running with the cutout open.

Damn, that's a bunch of PSIs!.. It looks like I make your pump a little too tight. Sorry about that. :D

Actually after a couple of oil changes and a switch to synthetic, if the pressure's still that high, you might consider 0W oil. That'll flow more and free up a couple of ponies.

Summertime heat soaked oil will tell the tale.

Just a quick update. Car has about 800 miles on the fresh 109 and BRF 200. Running great. No problems other than it broke a stock rocker shaft on #1 between the valves, right at the bolt. A set of TA shafts solved that.

Car feels good. Being easy on it for the time being. Pulls great in the upper RPM range. Have to tweak the 1/2 feed hole in the trans just a bit, but it feels good as well.

Hoping to get some shakedown runs in at Cecil soon at some point.

Have you thinned the oil down and got your oil pressure down to normal numbers yet? (and I can't remember if I sent you and extra 'low pressure spring and/or extra gasket for the 1" nut to lower the pressure). It sounds like your engine was built right. Hope you have fun with it :D

I was advised to run straight 30 rotela for the break in miles . Engine looks good! Throw away that fram oil filter an buy a wix plz

Have you thinned the oil down and got your oil pressure down to normal numbers yet? (and I can't remember if I sent you and extra 'low pressure spring and/or extra gasket for the 1" nut to lower the pressure). It sounds like your engine was built right. Hope you have fun with it :D

No not yet Earl. Still running the 10w30. Might try 5w30 in the summer to see how the PSIs are. We'll see. I think I got a spring. Wasnt sure what it was for. Not sure where it got to either.... D'oh!! Its usually 55psi or so over the RPM range and ~30ish at idle. Seems to be fine to me?