My Experience with Motor & Trans Build by Nick Micale

Status
Not open for further replies.
What work was he charged for but didn't get?

Ported heads.

And while this post is shifting from a feedback post to "let's judge the OP and whether he should pay", and also, "did Nick Micale do good work", I'll re-emphase (can't believe I have to with some), that other than maybe the internal assembly of the motor, he threw much of the rest of it together. But far and away, most importantly, is the fact that his attempt to scam me on the transmission is 100% confirmed!!! I've already explained this several times. I'm shocked that so many people are just outright ignoring this...mind blowing. To yet again briefly recap: He told me he grabbed the wrong transmission. But he didn't know I still had James' number that he gave me from months earlier. So I call James to ask him about the new trans, and the conversation moves to the old one. James casually mentions that Nick intended to just give me a used trans from a customer who had recently returned it. And the proof is in the pudding - the trans was junk from day 1. It never shifted into 2nd gear from the day I got it, though it took a couple weeks to figure it out. I thought it wasn't shifting into OD (just counting shifts). I have videos of that...which I sent to Nick, btw. And when I dropped the pan to replace it because of the leak, it's literally loaded with black debris. So I take a pic of it, send it to Nick, and he tells me that's normal!!! Attached is one pic, after I drained the pan of fluid, along with much of the debris.

After getting caught, Nick made good on the trans. How could he not? He got caught red handed, after all. That was months ago, and I never said a word. I could've spoken up right then, but I kept quiet, even though Nick had confirmed that he had attempted to scam me. But when I discovered the lack of ported heads, that did it.

A BIG lesson to me about the pistons...I took someone's word prematurely who said they were "positive" I had hypereutectic, and they were mistaken. So I'm glad to clear Nick's name on the pistons - they are forged. But people just then focus on that, and forget about the confirmed trans scam, the lack of ported heads, no fuel pump when he swore it was in there, and bevy of leaks. These aren't minor issues that I'm just "whining" about. These are major issues. I paid top dollar based on his reputation, and he trying ripping me off, did terribly shoddy work (I'm 51...it's not the first time I've had a freshly rebuilt motor come back to me in a project car), and now he's got the gall to try an collect the remaining $2K? I'd say that would be quite foolish if he does.

If he makes good on the ported heads like he did the trans, proves beyond a reasonable doubt (meaning, the docs aren't forged) with build sheets regarding the machine work, and my cam, that I have the motor I paid for, according to our verbal conversations, then I will gladly pay him the $2,062 remaining (minus the...$175 I think I paid for shipping the trans to him), and a reasonable amount for the fact that I've spent probably 30-40 hours troubleshooting/fixing the issues he was supposed have addressed before the car ever left. Let's call it 35 hours at $20/hour = $700.

So...as soon as Nick sends new ported irons (with all the same "new valves and head work" as original) here to Colorado, pays for them to be installed on my car, we'll subtract $875 from the $2,062 for my time and the shipping of the trans back to him, then I'll pay him the balance, which is $1,187. Are you reading this, Nick?

There's your offer. You make it right, and live up to the "invoice" by providing ported heads, installed at a shop of my choosing here in CO, compensate me for the all the time I spent fixing your shoddy work and troubleshooting, at a reasonable rate of $20/hour, and I'll pay you the balance. Let's call it $1,200. That's probably your cost for ported irons anyway. All you have to do is pay for the install. But as compensation for all my grief, I don't want them done by you. You'll have to specifically tell me who'll be doing them, the extent of the port work, or just make them Champion Irons. I'd feel best with a well-known supplier, as I've lost all faith in you.

And for all those throughout the years that had good work performed by Nick, that's great. I don't doubt he's capable of it. I only know he screwed me royally. And above is his chance to clear his name and make it right. And I will do what I think is perfectly fair, and pay the balance, after being fairly compensated.

My last piece of advice, and maybe this is good for anyone, especially with job involving thousands of dollars. Ask for much more detail than I got on my invoice. Ask for cam specs on the invoice. If you don't like general statements when you first see an invoice, ask for more detail. Ask for build sheets. Be thorough and check as much as possible at the time you're picking up your car (which unfortunately can be impossible). Don't wait for things to fail. Try to pay with a credit card, so you can dispute it if there's a problem (I made payments by check). Wait to pay until you can verify as much as possible. Ask for pics along the way. Be wary of those who say "I'm not a computer guy and can't take pics" (like Nick claimed). Could be a convenient way to protect themselves. Do NOT trust people even who are well known and have favorable reputations. And whenever possible...deal locally!!!

Attachments

• DSC01709.JPG
    DSC01709.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
i would suggest everyone try to work it out out of court or at least mediation .if you go to court the attorneys and the judge will not have a clue what anyone is talking about or what reasonable is .and the only winners will be the attorneys .work out a solution put the emotions in your pocket give up a little and work things out . its not worth court unless you can handle it in small claims

This is the best post I've seen here.

There is some fault on both sides.

If you both swallow your pride a bit and settle it like professionals the rest of the community will see how it can be done.

If not, carry on.

D

More like 4-6 weeks ago max on that CL add...For someone who has had 5 TR's you have a lot to learn about these cars. Oh and yes you can change out the cam with the engine in the car...Wow

Wish I had that CL add.... Maybe bring it to court with you if it goes that far, but that would hurt your case. You have been trying to dump the car for 5-6 months knowing it had issues. It didn't sell like you planned and now you want to bring this all up. Glad you didn't get a chance to dump your problem on someone else.

Wow...you're smart. BTW, 4 of my TRs, I did virtually no work to. One, I r&r'ed the motor myself. Just because I've owned them, doesn't mean I gained natural knowledge of everything about them. But, if it makes you feel smart that you know that the cam can be changed w/o pulling/lifting the motor, wow-away. We all need to feel superior sometimes. Me included. ;)

But for being loaded up with so much upstairs, you've got a time warp problem. The sole reason I thought I might need to sell my TR was when I was still negotiating paying off my 2nd mortgage. That was resolved several months ago, and I immediately took the car off CL once I found another solution. This is really too petty a subject for me to waste time on, so I won't bother looking back on my CL post history...just know it's been months. And your point would be anyway? I'm always honest, so whatever it is, be prepared to be corrected if you're mistaken. Probably best to let it go...

Actually the black debris is normal, if it's one of Lonnie's transmissions the clutchs are a carbon material and shed that way.

No. I sent that photo to James and he immediately said the trans burnt a band. Nice try though.

I don't need to try, I've owned and had rebuilt three Extreme automatics transmissions and black debris in the pan is in fact normal. I've acknowledged the fact these transmissions are weak in this post I'm just saying black debris isn't necessarily an end all be all. Call Lonnie and ask him yourself!

i would suggest everyone try to work it out out of court or at least mediation .if you go to court the attorneys and the judge will not have a clue what anyone is talking about or what reasonable is .and the only winners will be the attorneys .work out a solution put the emotions in your pocket give up a little and work things out . its not worth court unless you can handle it in small claims

I couldn't agree more. So I will quote my post from a few minutes ago, as well as send it to Nick's email:

"If he makes good on the ported heads like he did the trans, proves beyond a reasonable doubt (meaning, the docs aren't forged) with build sheets regarding the machine work, and my cam, that I have the motor I paid for, according to our verbal conversations, then I will gladly pay him the $2,062 remaining (minus the...$175 I think I paid for shipping the trans to him), and a reasonable amount for the fact that I've spent probably 30-40 hours troubleshooting/fixing the issues he was supposed have addressed before the car ever left. Let's call it 35 hours at $20/hour = $700.

So...as soon as Nick sends new ported irons (with all the same "new valves and head work" as original) here to Colorado, pays for them to be installed on my car, we'll subtract $875 from the $2,062 for my time and the shipping of the trans back to him, then I'll pay him the balance, which is $1,187. Are you reading this, Nick?

There's your offer. You make it right, and live up to the "invoice" by providing ported heads, installed at a shop of my choosing here in CO, compensate me for the all the time I spent fixing your shoddy work and troubleshooting, at a reasonable rate of $20/hour, and I'll pay you the balance. Let's call it $1,200. That's probably your cost for ported irons anyway. All you have to do is pay for the install. But as compensation for all my grief, I don't want them done by you. You'll have to specifically tell me who'll be doing them, the extent of the port work, or just make them Champion Irons. I'd feel best with a well-known supplier, as I've lost all faith in you."

I am beyond willing to be reasonable, and have no interest in not doing the right thing myself. It wouldn't make me any better than a scammer myself. I want what's right, I very much want the motor I asked for, and I when I get it, and reasonable compensation for the time, effort and money I've spent resolving the problems resulting from Nick's shoddy workmanship and parts not installed, I'll be all over paying the difference.

I couldn't agree more. So I will quote my post from a few minutes ago, as well as send it to Nick's email:

"If he makes good on the ported heads like he did the trans, proves beyond a reasonable doubt (meaning, the docs aren't forged) with build sheets regarding the machine work, and my cam, that I have the motor I paid for, according to our verbal conversations, then I will gladly pay him the $2,062 remaining (minus the...$175 I think I paid for shipping the trans to him), and a reasonable amount for the fact that I've spent probably 30-40 hours troubleshooting/fixing the issues he was supposed have addressed before the car ever left. Let's call it 35 hours at $20/hour = $700.

There's your offer. You make it right, and live up to the "invoice" by providing ported heads, installed at a shop of my choosing here in CO, compensate me for the all the time I spent fixing your shoddy work and troubleshooting, at a reasonable rate of $20/hour, and I'll pay you the balance. Let's call it $1,200. That's probably your cost for ported irons anyway. All you have to do is pay for the install. But as compensation for all my grief, I don't want them done by you. You'll have to specifically tell me who'll be doing them, the extent of the port work, or just make them Champion Irons. I'd feel best with a well-known supplier, as I've lost all faith in you."

I am beyond willing to be reasonable, and have no interest in not doing the right thing myself. It wouldn't make me any better than a scammer myself. I want what's right, I very much want the motor I asked for, and I when I get it, and reasonable compensation for the time, effort and money I've spent resolving the problems resulting from Nick's shoddy workmanship and parts not installed, I'll be all over paying the difference.
But Nick made it right and re-installed a fresh 200r4. Correct ?

Ported heads?

What kind of ported heads do you want for 300 bucks?

Nick charged you appropriately for what was done to the heads. You were hoping to get 1500 heads for 300 bucks and it didn't work out for you it appears.

He doesn't owe you max ported heads for what you paid. Sorry

And 35 to 40 hours fixing things nick should have like what?

Trouble shooting your pump issue I agree with that but that doesn't take but an hour or 2.

I'm about done with this..

Also the black in the trans. I've had several transmission done over the years and I've seen that much and no issues with my trans. I have seen alot worse and they were burnt up .

Also oil pan bolts go hand tight, you said you tighten them as much as you can and that can cause an oil leak that's for sure. Never over tighten gaskets

Fixing leaks well that is another issue

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Time and effort just leads to exhaustion .

You basically wanted a stage built for the money you spent. I feel ya you win some you lose some

And while this post is shifting from a feedback post to "let's judge the OP and whether he should pay", and also, "did Nick Micale do good work"

It's also getting REAL close to shifting to "adios" ......

The good,thing here is that they may be working things out. We can all learn from this and life in general. Lets move on. Richard clarks event is coming up. I cant wait. Lets not spoil it and get our panties in a bunch.

After a dozen plus e-mails today, Terry and I resolved our issues which was caused by mis-communication between us both, and I do apologize for my bad attitude in public as I should have responded with more compassion.

Life is too short to be disturbed by material items and not communicating properly.

We both share in being "guilty" of bad manners and lack of better communications.

The "head porting" issue was the basis of this entire episode as each of us were at different ends of the spectrum of what was being supplied?

I agreed to ship Terry a fresh set of Champion iron max ported heads, and he will send payment to clear our account!

For the many years I have been in the automotive business, and later doing just turbo Buicks, my goal has always been to exceed my customer's expectations.

Sorry I failed in doing this on our initial effort with Terry, but am happy to state we finally did what was expected for him.

Thanks Terry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.