My Experience with Motor & Trans Build by Nick Micale

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the oil leak I'm going to guess it's not the rear main. You did say the valve cover was loose right? Also that oil drain looks like hell.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

terbro, I think the only thing you have managed to do with your rant is to discourage anyone from helping you. I have known Nick for many years and has never failed to help me anyway he could. There is a saying in business that 10% of customers cause 90% of problems . No matter how hard you try there will always be someone pissed off at you. If the majority of people are happy with Nick but several aren't that's the cost of doing business. The best way to get satisfaction for a problem is to do it privately cause now that you have slayed the mans reputation he has absolutely no incentive to try & rectify your complaint.

Bigger cam then a stock or a 206/206.

How fast are you trying to go?

Well, I was very pleased with the 214/208 cam I had in my 4th GN. Not a cam expert, but that car was brutally fast. Of course it had GN1 heads too (which is why I wanted my heads ported so much as well).

This isn't a daily driver...solely for racing, so to answer your question, I'd like it to go as fast as possible. I'll take input on the biggest cam that's practical for my build.

From what I recall, a stock cam will go 10s and a 206 should take you further. I'm not cam expert but I'm sure the 206 will be more then enough for your goals.

I run a 212.212 in one of my cars but I also have a much larger one in my TA motor.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

terbro, I think the only thing you have managed to do with your rant is to discourage anyone from helping you. I have known Nick for many years and has never failed to help me anyway he could. There is a saying in business that 10% of customers cause 90% of problems . No matter how hard you try there will always be someone pissed off at you. If the majority of people are happy with Nick but several aren't that's the cost of doing business. The best way to get satisfaction for a problem is to do it privately cause now that you have slayed the mans reputation he has absolutely no incentive to try & rectify your complaint.

You're making assumptions Lou. You're Lou Czarnota, right? I know you too. You have no clue how much I dealt privately with Nick. I finally gave up on him. When it became obvious he wasn't just making honest mistakes, I fully ceased contact with him. They were catastrophic, and far too many. Have you read my entire post? It doesn't seem like it.

This feedback section has tremendous value, and that includes people also coming back and speaking of their positive experiences. I welcome that. I don't doubt many have. There have been many that have already commented that have had no problems throughout the years, and I've also had others who've shared my experience. Do you understand what a Feedback section is Lou? It has tremendous value? When you go on line, do you not look at the reviews for products? Some are positive, others are negative.

And I know I'm bound to get comments like yours, especially from someone like you...who's also an engine builder. Maybe you're afraid too? This isn't Nazi Germany, as I opened my story with. Sorry you're not a fan of free speech Lou. Sorry you don't respect people speaking up and sharing their honest experience. But you know - BOO on you for trying to intimidate people in the future!!! This kind of thing is very necessary!!! People are afraid to speak up, and they don't need people like you saying things like this.

There's another engine builder that's confided with me and said in a PM (probably because he's afraid too) that he's torn apart a few of Nick's engines and found a bunch of crap in them, so I know I'm not alone. I'm don't doubt Nick has done great work for countless people throughout the years, but it doesn't change my experience with him. Let everyone who's had positive experience with him speak up as well. This feedback section has a "post new thread" option - they're also able to post their experience. Get it?

If you or others have a problem with me, then do not help me. If you're that immature, then I do not want your help. I'm fine with people who respect what I'm doing here, and appreciate that I'm only expressing my experience...and doing it to benefit them. The bottom line is - if Nick hadn't done what he did, with blatant misconduct and mal-intent, I wouldn't have considered the post. If it was just him making an honest mistake, there's absolutely no way I would've ever posted this, let me assure everyone.

I would love to hear from that engine builder who pmed you. No need to hide imop.

I agree, I wish he would speak up...and the others who have PM'ed me about Nick. But that's up to them to speak publicly. It's obviously beneficial to our TR Community...as well as making me not look like the bad guy. I opened knowing I'm taking a risk, and sure enough...people are giving me crap - for trying to help. The thanks I get....feels great.

From what I recall, a stock cam will go 10s and a 206 should take you further. I'm not cam expert but I'm sure the 206 will be more then enough for your goals.

I run a 212.212 in one of my cars but I also have a much larger one in my TA motor.

My 5th GN was an odd one. It had a stock IC, stock DP, but was unusually fast on pump gas. I only knew it had a relatively fresh rebuild and it came with the cam spec sheet (see pic). So I was left attributing its power to the cam. Notice it's a 204/214.

I'm telling ya...despite the stock IC and DP, it felt like it had 350+ hp. I don't know, but...it was somethin'. So I'd like to put a big cam in my current TR to get some low-end torque and just open/wake it up.

Is it fairly easy to install a cam in our TR's with the motor in the car? Not that I'd attempt it myself...but for a qualified shop?

Attachments

• Cam Specs Sheet 011912.jpg
    Cam Specs Sheet 011912.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 64
As for the oil leak I'm going to guess it's not the rear main. You did say the valve cover was loose right? Also that oil drain looks like hell.

I've fixed all the oil leaks from the oil return and valve covers that I know of. The only remaining leak is coming from the rear of the motor...the biggest one. It's either from the oil pan or somewhere else at the rear of the motor. I've had my fingers behind the valve covers many times (though it's been a while now)...I think I've got those. But I've tightened the oil pan bolts as tight as they will go and the leak persists. So I'm miffed at this point. My only thought is that it's a bad pan gasket.

Couple of things I see wrong. If you wanted a huge cam and wasn't right for combo then it should have been installed of course w a warning (not right for combo etc) I don't think k it's right to come down on Terbro bc everyone loves the vendor. I'm sure if this was a vendor everyone hates they would be on his side. Everyone is entitled to a bad day,but dishonesty is another thing. Dropping 10k and someone is giving a used or maybe rebuilt tranny thats crazy. It will be interesting to hear Nick's take on it. I also think maybe port job was miscommunication? As stated earlier there's 3 sides to a story. His, his and the truth.

Everyone seems to have had their "say"...Wasted bandwidth is becoming a problem.;)..

This thread resembles a rainbow pride parade.

Can you imagine how much frustration Nick must have had to endure dealing with this whiner? No wonder he has elected not to comment on this subject.

Last edited:
Loose bolts, a non rebuilt trans, stock converter.

The OP has merit in his gripe.

A reputable builder isn't supposed to let these important things slip by.

What I'm seeing is that It's not an accident regardless of pistons.

D

Actually... All we have is 5 pages of one guy making claims without any proof & attempting to justify why he shouldn't have to fulfill his obligation to pay his bill.

D

Agreed .. I also share your opinion.. he paid for a fuel pump.. didn't get it.. had to invest his own time to find it ... SCREWED !
he paid for ported heads .. again ported heads even if ts a minor bowl clean up is ported heads.. a port match is a port match .. and max ported is max ported .. lets not twist words here we all know what each means .. he got SCREWED here ..
he paid for a tune .. How in the F could someone tune the car with no pump.. it stumbling all over, no boost gauge,,, he got charged for this .. SCREWED !
he paid for a trans .. that he had to uncover was the wrong one.. SCREWED !

he brought the car in to get its issues resolved ... regardless of what they were .. its Nicks job to point out the issues and to say here is what it will cost to fix these issues.. he got the same problems back that he paid to get resolved .. SCREWED ..

All you guys defending Nick on this one need to think about the FACTS of what this guy posted ...
out of the 100's and 100's of cars ( sigh) that Nicks done maybe 25 people got SCREWED .. it still doesn't discount those 25 people actually got RIPPED OFF !!
Still not sure how this guy didn't get a build sheet for the engine or even a parts list sheet with things itemized .. every engine builder I've worked with has always given me a build sheet with tech specs and parts used.. I guess maybe shadetree guys wouldn't ??

Put yourselves in his position for a second ...

Sorry we all make mistakes.. its part of being human.. the difference between standup people and crooks is how we choose to resolve problems.. with the mentality of well SCREW this guy im not going to do anything and I have my nutswingers to back me up that's just obvious someone is clearly in the wrong.

To the OP just want to say .. thanks for picking up the TAB on a very valuable education any of us could have got

Last edited:

D
The converter was found to be a Hughes, which is not stock, loose bolts I honestly feel is just retorque as most new builds require. Seems as if the fuel pump is the most legit complaint I can read here. These transmissions, as we ALL know, can be finicky to say the least, burning second is by far the most common failure when making any power. After looking through several of the op's posts where he dances around addressing Nick it seems as if the two men are a ways off from seeing eye to eye on this project. The folks who have pm'ed the op should grow a set and add on here, otherwise, why are they apart of this community? Even IF someone was to anger another member, business is business, fair is fair, and we all want the best for our hard earned money. Owning a hot rod, especially a tr, is not for everyone. I've had three engines built for mine and one lasted less then 400 miles so I know how it feels to be burned. From what I'm reading though you weren't burned, (minus fuel pump which could be an honest "forgot" item Nick isn't a YOUNG man and may be forgetful as we all can be?) just left some work.

This thread resembles a rainbow pride parade.

Can you imagine how much frustration Nick must have had to endure dealing with this whiner? No wonder he has elected not to comment on this subject.

After 30 years of working on many thousand of turbo Buicks, building about 1000 turbo engines and dealing with many thousands of customers in the US and abroad I never had a worse "customer from hell" that could never be satisified?

This "self-proclaimed" expert obtained has extensive knowledge from owning a GN years ago. I do not want to bash Terry as he has lots of stress in his life with a divorce, bankruptcy, a failing business and trying to raise a young son, but I do want to clarify our relationship which started out well, and went down hill as his stress level increased.

As always, he had a written estimate of work to be performed and it included detail pricing.

When his car was finished he had a balance of $2262.50. He want to take possession of the car, so I agreed to a notarized Promissory Note which he signed on May 11, 2015, so he was clearly aware and agreed to the billing.

He test drove the car here and then loaded it for his trip home.

After a few hundred miles he was not happy with the trans so I shipped him a fresh one and paid for a shop there to install it, and ship back the old one.

He had a few other "issues" we discussed which may or may not be from my work or his tinkering?

Yes, I became completely fed up with his whining and figured would leave my Promissory note in the drawer where it belongs, and was willing to forgo it.

However, with his allegations in public, especially calling me a crook, has driven me to obtain legal help in Colorado to enforce the note as well as slander.

When I read the note last night, I just had to smile based upon part of what he signed:

"EXPENSES. In event any payment under this Note is not paid when due, the Maker agrees to pay in addition to the principle and interest hereunder, reasonable attorneys' fees not exceeding a sum equal to 15% of the outstanding balance owing on the note, plus all other reasonable expenses incurred by Payee in exercising any of its rights and remedies upon default."

You're making assumptions Lou. You're Lou Czarnota, right? I know you too. You have no clue how much I dealt privately with Nick. I finally gave up on him. When it became obvious he wasn't just making honest mistakes, I fully ceased contact with him. They were catastrophic, and far too many. Have you read my entire post? It doesn't seem like it.

This feedback section has tremendous value, and that includes people also coming back and speaking of their positive experiences. I welcome that. I don't doubt many have. There have been many that have already commented that have had no problems throughout the years, and I've also had others who've shared my experience. Do you understand what a Feedback section is Lou? It has tremendous value? When you go on line, do you not look at the reviews for products? Some are positive, others are negative.

And I know I'm bound to get comments like yours, especially from someone like you...who's also an engine builder. Maybe you're afraid too? This isn't Nazi Germany, as I opened my story with. Sorry you're not a fan of free speech Lou. Sorry you don't respect people speaking up and sharing their honest experience. But you know - BOO on you for trying to intimidate people in the future!!! This kind of thing is very necessary!!! People are afraid to speak up, and they don't need people like you saying things like this.

There's another engine builder that's confided with me and said in a PM (probably because he's afraid too) that he's torn apart a few of Nick's engines and found a bunch of crap in them, so I know I'm not alone. I'm don't doubt Nick has done great work for countless people throughout the years, but it doesn't change my experience with him. Let everyone who's had positive experience with him speak up as well. This feedback section has a "post new thread" option - they're also able to post their experience. Get it?

If you or others have a problem with me, then do not help me. If you're that immature, then I do not want your help. I'm fine with people who respect what I'm doing here, and appreciate that I'm only expressing my experience...and doing it to benefit them. The bottom line is - if Nick hadn't done what he did, with blatant misconduct and mal-intent, I wouldn't have considered the post. If it was just him making an honest mistake, there's absolutely no way I would've ever posted this, let me assure everyone.
There are two sides to this story & somewhere in the middle lies the truth, Tell me what Nick said when you confronted him with your dissatisfaction. Did he offer to make it right you stated that you withheld money owed. Nick isn't an engine builder he has someone else build them for him perhaps some one he trusted let him down. He also has come on some hard times lately with heart problems & crashed his race car. I also find it odd that his long time trans builder would stab him in the back just to please you. He like myself have invested 30 years in serving his community we love these cars & the people. These cars weren't made in heaven nor have Nick myself or any other mechanic i have known ascended from there. You seem some what knowledgeable perhaps when you run Nick out of business you cold be the next guru to take his place It's very easy & perhaps you should get lucky & your first customer would be someone like yourself. So continue to burn your bridges because I guaranty that anyone of sound mind who could help you will take pause after reading all this & would want any part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.