My custom high capacity oil pan

robzombie

Just wanted to show what can be done to increase the oil capacity and keep it looking almost stock by cleaning up the welds.

I should have taken pics of it when cut apart to show where it was cut but the inside pic should give a good enough view.
I had a 4.1 pan that I decided to play with and wanted to make it look stock by tig welding it instead of the typcal mig process that most use. The reason for this is better weld penetration and less grinding and sanding of the welds to keep it strong and less chance for oil weeping out due to inadequate weld tie ins due to start and stops with a chance of a lack of penetration.

In the future I may due a custom flat bottom pan that will hold more oil and increase ground clearance by an inch.

Here are some pics of the almost finished pan.
IMG_9766.JPG
IMG_9765.JPG
IMG_9763.JPG
IMG_9767.JPG

If you just want oil capacity why not just put a kickout on the side and not lose any ground clearance ( I did this on my TTA as to not lose any clearance .. that way you can keep the same pickup too .. just a thought

If you just want oil capacity why not just put a kickout on the side and not lose any ground clearance ( I did this on my TTA as to not lose any clearance .. that way you can keep the same pickup too .. just a thought

I did this one the same way most aftermarket pans are made, but wanted to show that with a little extra time cleaning it up you could make it look like it was a stock pan.

I will being doing a kick out to my spare 3.8 pan in the near future to put on my car and will post that also.

I did this one the same way most aftermarket pans are made, but wanted to show that with a little extra time cleaning it up you could make it look like it was a stock pan.

I will being doing a kick out to my spare 3.8 pan in the near future to put on my car and will post that also.

Looks good ... just from the top you cant see the kick out at all anyway.. and if a buick guy looks under the car .. the jig will be up anyway with a 14 bolt pan in a 87 :)

Looks good ... just from the top you cant see the kick out at all anyway.. and if a buick guy looks under the car .. the jig will be up anyway with a 14 bolt pan in a 87 :)

Thanks for the compliment and I agree with you that if it's on the rack and they count the bolts the jig is up, the people that run higher capacity pans are looking for the benefit of more oil first and looks and/or correctness second.

Thanks for the compliment and I agree with you that if it's on the rack and they count the bolts the jig is up, the people that run higher capacity pans are looking for the benefit of more oil first and looks and/or correctness second.

Ahh okey ... so the people that run higher capacity pans just want more oil ... but aren't concerned with internal baffles or a scraper to gain real advantages :)

not sure on the rack.. pretty much the jig is up even looking from the top ... as soon as I see the flat front to the pan with no V .. the jig is up anyway :)

but I would like to see the kickout you do ..

at any rate looking at the outside of the pan you did .. you really cant even tell it was touched ( kool) ... beats spending $250 bucks on a aftermarket pan that doesn't do anything but waste money

I'm not done with this one yet as I said in the first post. I will be putting baffles in it.

We wouldn't want all that oil to not be controlled and/or have a chance to uncover the pickup under hard acceleration .;)

I'm not done with this one yet as I said in the first post. I will be putting baffles in it.

We wouldn't want all that oil to not be controlled and/or have a chance to uncover the pickup under hard acceleration .;)

how much time you think you have in that pan ?

ahh okey .. just figured it was done with the welding with all the new fresh paint

how much time you think you have in that pan ?

About 2 1/2 hours.

ahh okey .. just figured it was done with the welding with all the new fresh paint

I wanted to be able to show the welds before they get cleaned up and covered by the baffle.

I didn't plan on posting any of this and was just going to do the pan complete, but if I did that you wouldn't be able to tell what was done.

when using a kickout, is there a kit, ( like speedway offers)
or do you fab your own? I'd like to see pics,
I have damaged my RJC pan, as my cars are "low", and I LIKE more capacity!

I fab my own.
It seems that each owner has there own vision of what they want the pan to look like. Most just give me a min/max height that they want and type of baffling depending on their use.

I wonder if you could find something that's well suited to make the kickout out of the box... Something pimp and pop cultrureish, like the base of a military ammo can... Then you could paint "Born to kill" on one side and "peace" on the other, Full Metal Jacket style.

or better yet, the top of an ammo can.. Then you could change the oil in 2 seconds and dig out timing teeths during a commercial break! lol

I wonder if you could find something that's well suited to make the kickout out of the box... Something pimp and pop cultrureish, like the base of a military ammo can... Then you could paint "Born to kill" on one side and "peace" on the other, Full Metal Jacket style.

or better yet, the top of an ammo can.. Then you could change the oil in 2 seconds and dig out timing teeths during a commercial break! lol

I'll get right on it Earl, if that's what you want it can be done.

Go to the flea market and pickup a couple cans of the metal variety, [not flesh] then send them to me with a sketch of exactly what you want for customization and I'll have it ready in about a week for you to MOUNT on your car.:whistle::LOL:

Rob,did you note what time he posted his "ammo can" fantasy???
Obviously, it's bong, [:cigar:< blunt] time!:D:p

You're right I should have put two and two together and considered the source and time of such fantasy.

It's okay to have pipe dreams, but maybe they shouldn't include an actual PIPE!!:facepalm:

Chuck, get with the times........
my "old hippy" buddy tells me its now faddish to call em a "Fatty"
I still think it kills brain cells, and makes you more ignorant that previously! ( not you specifically)

Chuck, get with the times........
my "old hippy" buddy tells me its now faddish to call em a "Fatty"
I still think it kills brain cells, and makes you more ignorant that previously! ( not you specifically)

DUDE!!! That term is like so 80/90's, I believe they still the term let's spark up a spliefer is still used also.

Earl may be smoking blunts [weed in a cigar wrapper] and he will have to chime in later when he wakes up and recovers from last night.

Actually, I don't even take aspirin. Ethanol and females are all the vices I have time for. There's only 24 hours in a day and I try to be horizonal for at least 10 or 12 of them!

I need to find a stash of cheep ammo boxes. There's all kinds of cool stuff you can build out of sealable heavy gauge metal. :)

Be sure to add a baffle on the front of the sump too, to keep oil around the pick up during hard deceleration. One thing I add to the RJC pan every time. For those with out a TIG, a oxy/acetylene does a great job, too. (If you can weld that is)