My clothes smell like gas

allblackcars

War Eagle
every time I drive my GN, I smell an odor of gas in my clothes. Does anyone else have this problem? The car runs very well but just wondered if anyone else have this happen.

If you smell fuel, something is leaking.

Check the fuel lines running to and from the tank to the fuelrail.
Check the fuel filter connections.
Check the fuelrail and injectors.
Check the fuel pressure regulator.
Check the charcol cannister (or lack thereof).

If you don't see anything obvious, run your hands over all of these things and smell them.

I don't run a cannister or a converter. Never had a problem with any fumes. Hell my car hasn't had carpet in it for 5 years and probably won't for another 5 :rolleyes: Sounds like you have an exhaust leak somewhere.

I don't think exhaust would smell like gas unless it was running really rich. I think certain gas has a stronger smell than other brands. Could be a small leak somewhere too. I avoid 76 because to me it smells a lot stronger. Although it could just be isloated to California.

Sounds like its throwing to much gas or leak by the cat. I had this problem when i would run the 160, this was before the TT chip tho so ??

If he has an exhaust leak off one of the manifolds it will make the car burn rich and can easily enter the inside of the car. Not saying this is the problem but it's one possibility. Just depends if he has an exhaust leak anywhere. A high BLM number will tell if he has a leak before the 02 and will cause a rich condition and the exhaust will reek of fuel.

From the list above...Make sure you don't have any slow drip leaks at the fuel rail fittings or injector seals.

If he has an exhaust leak off one of the manifolds it will make the car burn rich and can easily enter the inside of the car. Not saying this is the problem but it's one possibility. Just depends if he has an exhaust leak anywhere. A high BLM number will tell if he has a leak before the 02 and will cause a rich condition and the exhaust will reek of fuel.

Posting scanmaster numbers tonight will check all other suggestions in tomorrows daylight!

AF 05
L8 33
BAT 13.3
INT 128
BL 129
CLT 155
ATS 129
RPM 825-850
TPS .40
IAC 32....This should be around 20, right?

had problem once small drip leak on the intake suck the fumes thru the vents stopped the leak smell went away

If you are a smoker I would refrain from lighting up until the gas smell is elminated.

I would think if its smelling on your clothes the leak or fumes is originating forward of the cabin area.

I am far from an expert but my experience has been if the canister (quart can size black plastic thing) has been eliminated or not working properly that will release fumes.

If you have actual fuel leak smell will be very strong and something that demands immediate attention.

In other words leaking fuel somewhere you should be able to spot it and I'd be willing to bet its forward of the cabin area.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

meantime park the car outside not in your garage....

Posting scanmaster numbers tonight will check all other suggestions in tomorrows daylight!

AF 05
L8 33
BAT 13.3
INT 128
BL 129
CLT 155
ATS 129
RPM 825-850
TPS .40
IAC 32....This should be around 20, right?

Those numbers are perfect... IAC=32 is fine...

Today I checked everything I could get to and even used a 2k dollar gas leak detector we use to find natural gas leaks. Still did not find anything. (Im just throwing this out there), I also noticed that the fumes are very strong from the exhaust... I usually back into a small two car garage havin to manuever around my wifes car. Could it be that the fumes are so thick in the garage after pulling in that my clothes are getting saturated from that. I decided to park outside after every trip today and I didnt smell fumes in my clothes...Just a thought!

155* is too cold.
If the car has any stainless braided on it, that could be the source of the smell.

leaky injs after shutdown can throw fumes in the engine compartment. Turning on the heater/ac can pull them inside.

Wow that's some crappy wiring!
I have the rich smell with my car. Happened right after I took my cat off years ago. Since then have had 3 chips all the same issue.

I just went through this. Take a look at this link to see what my problem was:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/338630-rich-exhaust-smell.html

I hope this helps. Also, does your Scanmaster change when you go into closed loop?

Rob

This link was helpful, I checked my wiring and it looks good, also those temps were from when I took the car out last night to get some scanmaster numbers. I guess if it was warmer the numbers would change, dunno. My cat is removed so it seems that Im having the same problem lots of members have. Im leaning towards the exhaust fumes and the smell comes from being in my garage. Oh, I do not have any braided hoses. No smell during drive, just when I park in the garage and come into the house.

This link was helpful, I checked my wiring and it looks good, also those temps were from when I took the car out last night to get some scanmaster numbers. I guess if it was warmer the numbers would change, dunno. My cat is removed so it seems that Im having the same problem lots of members have. Im leaning towards the exhaust fumes and the smell comes from being in my garage. Oh, I do not have any braided hoses. No smell during drive, just when I park in the garage and come into the house.

I had this very same problem. The gas tank had a minor seep under the rubber straps. The gasoline smell came into the house when the car was parked. The slow gas tank leak did brake down the rubber and would slowly drop black drops under the gas tankand onto the floor. There was no visable gasoline droplets at all. No smell while driving either. Just another idea. Brad

check your exhaust connections.

headers
crossover
turbo connection to header
downpipe
connection where convertor used to be.

Is it a distinct gas smell or is it a rich exhaust smell?