My billet TA block on Methanol/E85 w/ 160lb injectors and a Gen2 'street' car build.

Was lucky enough to receive today some new Crower Billet wide journal rods for the motor!

Big thanks to Tim at TA for having a ton of patience with me and putting up with all my questions!

I had to take some pics of the new billet rods with the billet crankshaft...I mean wouldn't you want to if they were yours?!...

Last edited:
Some new suspension parts came in today;
*UMI rear shock tower brace
*UMI rear double adjustable lower control arms with roto joints on both ends
*Roto joints to replace the poly bushing on the top of the rear end housing
*Viking "Crusader" rear double adjustable shocks
*Hopes and dreams of small child

**The Varishocks were put next to the Vikings just to show the difference between them**

Last edited:
Was lucky enough to receive today some new Crower Billet wide journal rods for the motor!

Big thanks to Tim at TA for having a ton of patience with me and putting up with all my questions!

I had to take some pics of the new billet rods with the billet crankshaft...I mean wouldn't you want to if they were yours?!...

What rod& main bearings will you be using

What rod& main bearings will you be using

I am leaving that to Kenny Duttweiler.

Same with the pistons- Duttweiler is going to spec and choose the piston details. I know we are shooting for 9-9.5:1 (I would like at least 9.25:1) on the CR, but I am leaving the details to Dutt. The pistons will be forged Diamond pistons, if you are curious.

If you would like, I can let you know what he uses on my block once I drop it off. Would that help at all?

I was just curious bud.my custom pistons should be arriving this week . If all my calcumalations are correct I to should be a hair over 9.5 : 1.
IMG_7532.JPG

So a little update on some of the parts/ideas I have rolling around in my brain-hole..

The GN1 heads should hopefully be finished being ported and flowed soon. Once they are, I will post up the flow sheet so everyone can see what Tom's flow bench says the GN1s with their race porting flows.

I believe the Champion race intake is going to be a few weeks before he will have it ready. The heads will be port-matched to this intake, which will be a nice addition.

I am selling my current TB and going to pick up a new billet 72mm TB from GN1. I'll be having the TB, vacuum block, Champion AC/PS delete bracket, water pump, and front cover all anodized in the same color red as my AN fittings. I am probably going to have my t-bolt clamps done as well.

The new intake manifold, VC's, and plenum will be powdercoated my Mike C in a candy blue color.

I am going back and forth between getting the SPC front lower control arms for the car, especially the more I learn about them and how they aid in allowing the springs to apply force on the front tires even while the spring is extending and helping transfer weight...but I'll probably wait for these..

The front upper and lower CAs are gonna be dropped off to get powdercoated in a darker candy blue, while the spindles, steering box, and steering linkage will be in a plain black. The IC pipes will be done in a light grey.

I still need to pick up the Johnson lifters for my motor, and new Scorpion 1.65 roller rockers a well (I sold mine to a friend).

Other than that, it is just a waiting game...like we are all used to!

I'll post more as things begin to arrive and get finished.

-Tyler

So a little update on some of the parts/ideas I have rolling around in my brain-hole..

The GN1 heads should hopefully be finished being ported and flowed soon. Once they are, I will post up the flow sheet so everyone can see what Tom's flow bench says the GN1s with their race porting flows.

I believe the Champion race intake is going to be a few weeks before he will have it ready. The heads will be port-matched to this intake, which will be a nice addition.

I am selling my current TB and going to pick up a new billet 72mm TB from GN1. I'll be having the TB, vacuum block, Champion AC/PS delete bracket, water pump, and front cover all anodized in the same color red as my AN fittings. I am probably going to have my t-bolt clamps done as well.

The new intake manifold, VC's, and plenum will be powdercoated my Mike C in a candy blue color.

I am going back and forth between getting the SPC front lower control arms for the car, especially the more I learn about them and how they aid in allowing the springs to apply force on the front tires even while the spring is extending and helping transfer weight...but I'll probably wait for these..

The front upper and lower CAs are gonna be dropped off to get powdercoated in a darker candy blue, while the spindles, steering box, and steering linkage will be in a plain black. The IC pipes will be done in a light grey.

I still need to pick up the Johnson lifters for my motor, and new Scorpion 1.65 roller rockers a well (I sold mine to a friend).

Other than that, it is just a waiting game...like we are all used to!

I'll post more as things begin to arrive and get finished.

-Tyler
You are running stud mount rocker?

You are running stud mount rocker?

Well, I AM a stud, and I DO rock, so.. yup :D ....ok enough with the cheesiness... yes, I am running stud mount.

I had a long conversation with Tom at Champion about the Scorpion vs. T&D roller rockers and which was better/would work best for me/would they break/etc...

Tom flat out told me that even if I was to make 1,500hp with this motor, the Scorpions would not break. To paraphrase, he essentially said "You will never make enough power to break the Scorpions." Now, I am sure that people have broken them in the past, but considering that Tom gave the OK on the scorpions, I see no reason to worry.

Great build and very detailed posts, keep it up! Beautiful car too!

Really? Thanks man! You have no idea how much that means to hear! I am really trying to making this kinda like a "People's Build" sorta thing, where you guys know exactly what is going on, and there are no secrets or kept information. I've always wanted to build something like this, and I hope this thread shows people that you too can build a crazy car and motor if you plan correctly and make smart decisions!

I hope to keep you all updated as best I can with any and all progress I make.

I cannot thank you enough for your kind words! I mean I look at the thread and I see that there seems to be a lot of people looking at the thread, but I have no idea what any one is thinking or any suggestions they may have, which I always love to hear! I find that bouncing ideas off another person really helps in the design process!

Anyway, I appreciate your comment, and I want you and anyone else that is reading this thread to know that if they ever are looking or fuel system parts, or turbos, please hit me up and I can do my best to try and help get you guys an excellent price on some amazing parts! Just don't be afraid to ask! ....but don't ask me to get you prices if you're just shopping around...

Love this build as well can't wait to see it done. Everything seems nice but I'm not 100 percent sure on your choice in colors but to each their own

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Love this build as well can't wait to see it done. Everything seems nice but I'm not 100 percent sure on your choice in colors but to each their own

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If you could remember the 17yr old me with his first 1987 GN, seeing everyone else with a badass car....this build i for that kid :)

I want to look at thie car and everytime I see it, feel like a little kid again and say to myself "Dude...I want that!"....except now, it WILL be my car :)

Besides...if it looks like crap, ill just repaint it..

EDIT: What color choices are you not sure on? I would really appreciate your input. I can get caught up in the moment with these things, and at that time in my head everything sounds like it will look great, but there have been a few times my friends have had to stop me and say "Uhh Tyler...I don't think that is such a good idea..." so please, I would incredibly appreciate what you think I may be choosing the wrong colors on.

Also, has anyone seen these from Boost Crew Motorsports?! http://boostcrewmotorsports.com/Baseline-Suspension-UCA-Relocation-Race-Kit_p_25.html

I have been looking everywhere for brackets that would allow you to relocate the rear upper control arm to aid in adjusting the instant center of the car, and it seems Boost Crew Motorsports has them!!

I just sent them a message on their FB page to inquire as to how they are installed, and if they would work if we were to replace the poly bushings our aftermarket UCAs came with, with roto-joints.

If these will install without much cutting, and they will work with the new roto joints I just picked up, these will without question be my next purchase for the car!! I highly suggest anyone that gives somewhat-of-a-damn about how their car hooks up, to look into these brackets, along with the UMI rear lower control arm relocation brackets!! With these two brackets, we can get as close as possible to really being able to dial in our IC and tune the suspension.

Last edited:
Awesome Build!

I run the scorpion adjustable roller rockers on my engine setup as well (1.73 ratio). The geometry is decent for my engine. Horse power doesn't play a role in the geometry though, it's more of an rpm limiting part.

You will be happy from the performance of the Borg warner turbo. Don't fear the larger turbine and ar though. They are built to move large volumes of exhaust. I have since went with a s467 that utilizes an 83/74mm wheel. The shaft is HUGE! What rpm do you plan to turn?

I was just under the impression that the shaft mount rockers where a better choice in a high end / performance build. I know that you should add steel inserts in the stud holes .ive heard about ppl pulling the out . Also I'm also wondering if this is true with stud mount rockers why would TA produce the SE heads ? I mean these rockers for my SE where right a a G . It would have been nice if they where at 4-500 like the stud mount rockers

Attachments

• IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 224
Awesome Build!

I run the scorpion adjustable roller rockers on my engine setup as well (1.73 ratio). The geometry is decent for my engine. Horse power doesn't play a role in the geometry though, it's more of an rpm limiting part.

You will be happy from the performance of the Borg warner turbo. Don't fear the larger turbine and ar though. They are built to move large volumes of exhaust. I have since went with a s467 that utilizes an 83/74mm wheel. The shaft is HUGE! What rpm do you plan to turn?

Thanks man!

I don't plan to spin it much higher than 6500, so the scorpions should be fine. The 300SXE is a 69/68, and should be plenty fine for the street and strip duty for this car.

Reed at WORK turbo is the man, and I trust him with the turbo, which should say a lot considering what kind of motor it will be stuffing air into.

I was just under the impression that the shaft mount rockers where a better choice in a high end / performance build. I know that you should add steel inserts in the stud holes .ive heard about ppl pulling the out . Also I'm also wondering if this is true with stud mount rockers why would TA produce the SE heads ? I mean these rockers for my SE where right a a G . It would have been nice if they where at 4-500 like the stud mount rockers

Before I started this build I was under the impression that a lot of Buick people on this forum know what they are talking about, and I took it as the truth.

The more I read, asked around, educated myself, and spoke to people who have been there and done that, the more I realized that this forum has a lot of bench racers without any real proof or tried-and-true examples to back up their claims.... just look at the differences people recommend for turbo cams!

The T&D's are a really nice product, but if I can use the Scorpions, and save myself $700, I am going to do that. That $700 buys me my front LCAs and my front tubular swaybar :)

The nice part of the build you are doing is that you will be able to maximize whatever turbo you put on there. Nice work and the pics and progress are great.

I would suggest going to an XFI for this project. Any little hiccup at 6500 rpm and 30 psi won't be caught by a stock ECM. The XFI is cheap insurance, data logs and auto tunes AF ratios.

Awesome Build, Gonna be bad ass when its done!!! good work!!!

Thank you! You guys have absolutely no idea how much it means to hear that other people dig my build. Not from a "I need people to validate what I am doing" perspective, but from a "Other people are seeing this and hopefully getting ideas and maybe even learning to think outside the box a little" perspective. I get so stoked when I hear about someone commenting on the build. I really hope it shows everyone that anyone can build a badass ride if they do their research and plan accordingly!

The nice part of the build you are doing is that you will be able to maximize whatever turbo you put on there. Nice work and the pics and progress are great.

That means a lot coming from you. Really.

You are absolutely correct though- the design has been one that after my 18month plan and build up the rear end, I can turn up the HP to 1,000+ with just a turbo swap and maybe a cam swap, if it is required.

But yea, the motor has the potential to make 500hp, or 1,500hp. Whatever I decide.

I cannot express enough how much I appreciate the kind words! Hopefully I don't let you guys down...

I really want to say that I wouldn't be able to have such a build without my buddy Ed, Justin from Kinsler, Mike C., and Reed (and Trae :D ) from WORK turbo- who has gone above and beyond to help me find the best turbo for my application and for a price that no one could beat!

There are 3 companies that have my business for life, and WORK turbo is one of them. Kinsler is the other, and SC&C is the last. I could not be where I am without those 3 companies!

I wonder why Reed opted for the smaller 68/76mm turbine on this engine? I mean this engine is the baddest v6 money can buy besides the 500+ci they run in the vette in Qatar. Are you staying in a 3 bolt housing? What gate and what controller?