My 83 T-Type has a 200 4R

terrible-T

I find this strange because everyone that knows about Turbo cars say 84 was the first year Buick used 200 4R.Cady.started using them in 83.I know my trany is original, it's got an OD at the shifter indicater.Do any of you guys have an 83 with a factory 200 4R? Any Input would be helpfull.

Yep, a few models got the 200-4R in 83... the T-type and the Hurst/Olds are the two that I know about. My '83 T-type had a 200-4R in it from the factory. It still does, but it's not the original unit.

'83 TR's came with 200-4R's and 3.42 gears in a 7½" rear. The '83 TR frame has the extra bracket for the OD trans that the '83 non-TR does not have.

Don't listen to SFI guys when it comes to carb/turbos. ;)

You also have a HydroBoost II brake unit like some of the 84/85 Hot Airs. It uses the power steering pump and not vacuum.

b4black said:
Don't listen to SFI guys when it comes to carb/turbos. ;)

You also have a HydroBoost II brake unit like some of the 84/85 Hot Airs. It uses the power steering pump and not vacuum.
Thats a bold statement bro. Use data loggers like the SFI guys do to maximize performance.

whatever, bro. :rolleyes:

I have a data logger, a wide band and EGT. I think I have done well on a stock block, heads, carb and turbo.

SFI guys know their stuff, but they don't always have the facts 100% right when it comes to the earlier cars. As with the 200-4r starting in '84.

PS - this --> :) means I'm joking abound bro. :tongue:

PSS - Sometimes I beat the SFI cars at the track. :eek:

Br

Just for fun here are the #'s on the tag BR3308-11-82 It is clean and has less than 40,000 miles on it. By The Way, is this trans weaker than all the rest of the 200R4's or is it acceptable to run?

terrible-T said:
Just for fun here are the #'s on the tag BR3308-11-82 It is clean and has less than 40,000 miles on it. By The Way, is this trans weaker than all the rest of the 200R4's or is it acceptable to run?

That would be the original transmission. It also has the build date on there to! I guess you could say the 83 version is weaker than the later versions. It wouldn't be to hard to update it to SFI specs. It sounds like you're off to a good start on how to do it with some of your posts in the transmission section.

terrible-T said:

Now take that 350 turbo out and reinstall the 200R4. This way you can go over 65 mph. :cool:

Ive got one of those i pulled out of an 83 ttype and it has a smaller servo, smaller throttle valve in the vb(marked BR3 however), one pressure switch instead of two on the vb, the pump has a different spring on the regulator valve, and im not sure about the rest of the vb because i didnt take it apart.

"Don't listen to SFI guys when it comes to carb/turbos."

Hey does that include me ? :cool:

I just looked at a low mileage 83 T-Type Turbo and it had a 200C trans
..original owner car too.

I like the car,just don't have the room :(

Non unabell

I just noticed this 200R4 only has the B.O.P.bellhousing.Interesting it doesen't have the duell pat. like all the rest of 200R4's