Muscle Car Race - Buick kills Hemi!

So is the Buick 455 better than the olds?

I thought the buicks didnt have that good of an oiling system? This is what I heard.

The Buick 455 V-8, the Olds 455, and the Pontiac 455 were all different engines, and no engine parts were interchangeable.

The Buick 455 was a short stroke and big bore which gave it LOTS of low end torque as well as HP. The Stage I was a factory option in the Skylark GS which upped the base HP, as it has better breathing.

The Buick 455 V-8 uses essentially the same oiling system as the Buick 350 V-8, and was not a limitation or an issue. The Buick 350 V-8 and the V-6, including our turbo cars, share the same oiling system and parts. This is why TA, myself and others have been involved in oil pump upgrades for well over 30 years.

The big-block Mopar engines also used an external oil pump similar to the Buick set up. :)

The 455 Buick heads and SBC head ports share a lot in common in their design which is one reason a person good with porting Chevy heads, can also do awesome work on our turbo heads.

Back in the 60 I remember it was on at just about every red light 24/7. Hardly ever did you see a GS or GSX if you did. You knew better.

My uncle bought brand new,a 70 455 stage1 GS here in Ct.Brought it to Ct dragway in Colchester,Ct and with a set of 30'' slicks ran 13.10's bone stock.
Myself,had a 70 Stage1 car needing resto,but cut it loose 3 years ago,had to many cars in my possession waitng for resto.
In the early 90's,had a 76 Skylark that I built a Buick 350,10.25 :1,ported heads,T/A intake,Mike from T/A custom ground me a cam,turbo 350,10'' 3000 convertor,3:73's.Car ran 12.70's @ 107 on pump gas,5,200 rpm !!!!
Later went into my friends lighter 78 Regal,carb change,got that car going 12.40's @ 109 mph !!!!! A lot of people impressed it was a 350 Buick !!!!!
Yes,the Hemi guys don't like hearing about Buick 455's !!!! But,just as I hate to say,they can accell in the F.A.S.T races with the advantages of parts,dual carbs,etc.

Yeah, I was definitely surprised we I saw that in the latest issue of Hot Rod. I actually remember reading the actual article from my dad's copy of MCR in 1985. It's always stuck with me. ;)

My uncle bought brand new,a 70 455 stage1 GS here in Ct.Brought it to Ct dragway in Colchester,Ct and with a set of 30'' slicks ran 13.10's bone stock.
Myself,had a 70 Stage1 car needing resto,but cut it loose 3 years ago,had to many cars in my possession waitng for resto.
In the early 90's,had a 76 Skylark that I built a Buick 350,10.25 :1,ported heads,T/A intake,Mike from T/A custom ground me a cam,turbo 350,10'' 3000 convertor,3:73's.Car ran 12.70's @ 107 on pump gas,5,200 rpm !!!!
Later went into my friends lighter 78 Regal,carb change,got that car going 12.40's @ 109 mph !!!!! A lot of people impressed it was a 350 Buick !!!!!
Yes,the Hemi guys don't like hearing about Buick 455's !!!! But,just as I hate to say,they can accell in the F.A.S.T races with the advantages of parts,dual carbs,etc.
Fast might appear stock, but those cars are far from what was on a showroom floor. Those BBC and Hemi heads are build to flow at high rpm. Bbb is designed for low end. Not even in the same conversation.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app