MS3-Pro! The next great thing in Turbo Buicks?

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
http://rpm-mag.com/2012/11/megasquirt-goes-pro-at-pri-trade-show/

It was just released that the Megasquirt crew will be releasing a completely sealed version of the MS3x computer system that will have all the goodies including Real Time Clock and Configurable knock inputs (No knock module needed and the ability to run two sensors). This system IMO opinion is one bad azz system and could be the next great system for turbo Buick enthusiasts to upgrade their stock computer with. With a price tag of $1000-1200 assembled with the harness (another $80) to get the stuff to make it plug and play I would say that this is a great option!

Would there be much interest from people if I became a vendor on here and started selling a plug and play setup for our cars? I have many times though about doing this with the MS3x but with the labor included I would be limited in time.

Heck maybe we could even get Cal online to start selling and tuning them! ;-)

,Dan

Cal will probably shoot you.LOL. That would be a great deal compared to the pro efi,fast and big stuff prices. You will still need pressure sensors,flex fuel sensor.speed sensor. But you will need them with the others as well. Might work. I was going to go with the pro efi setup and that was tripple what their price is. I will be watching this one

I feel there will be a lot of this. This is not some cheapo starter ECM junk. It is a very advanced EFI setup that I see being very competitive in the market as far as capabilities go but at a much lower price. Since it has not yet been released I do not have any experience yet and don't know if it still has an on-board 44PSI MAP sensor as you can get with the MS3x. Also It has compound interpolation for E85 for ultra fine tuning of flex fuel in the latest code. I sent Matt Cramer a message about if I can fit my $7 Blutooth module in the sealed case like I do with the "Old" MS3x, this would put it a step ahead of the competition and I am accustom to using wireless tuning so going back to a cable and rats nest of wires would suck.. At at least right now it comes with native USB cable and CAN tuning.

,Dan

Also I think this is something Cal might want to get in on now since they will most likely be coming out with a LS1 plug and play setup. With how big of cheap a$$es most Buick and LS guys are I feel he would have a better chance at capturing the market with a "Cheaper" aftermarket ECM option. But then again I am not a business owner so he might have his own reasons for not getting into them.

,Dan

I am not locked into FAST. I also sell and support other systems. I saw there booth yesterday and skipped over it. I will check it out today.

Apples and Oranges Shane. The ISAC is a boost and alky controller, this is an ECU (Like the FAST XFI, Big Stuff, etc...).

I am not 100% but I would assume that the MS3 Pro just like the MS3 3.0/3.57 has the ability to directly control an alcohol injection pump for variable injection as well as boost control.

,Dan

Will it have individual cylinder knock retard?

Yes I believe that it is already in the ms3x code so I assume it will be in the MS3 Pro.

It also has cylinder per cylinder fuel and timing trim to my knowledge. I wish I had one to do some testing to know for sure on everything.

,Dan

I spoke with them yesterday, but didn't get the details on the system's capabilities. They directed me to their web site for that. As for Buick PNP availability, they said they would be willing to do it with a minimum order of ten units.

I have one of these MS3pro prototypes ,I first saw it on DragWeek this year.

James Murray(One of the guys that write the code in most of the Megasquirt boxes) was there from the UK.

He showed me this,and a can bus gauge that he is bringing out.(basicly like a scanmaster type gauge, but round,and configurable)

I have both and can answer most buick questions on it's application for our cars. Althou, I mainly mess with Ls engines now.

It was really hard to not post up anything, until after the PRI show, as was requested.

But, I have a pinout and have already made another PNP ecm box using the simple circuit board I designed and used to test with when the original MS3 was still a beta product like the MS3pro is now.This is one I made, and displayed here almost two years ago.

http://turbobuick.com/forums/posts/2718970/

I have already started up a T.R. on it,and when it gets back out of paint, I will switch it back into it. Right now I am wiring PNP harness for an LSx in my buddies tube chassis car with it. I only have one box, so I will need to switch them back and forth until I get another. The MS3pro should be available to buy around the first of the year.

If anyone has questions let me know.

BTW:
I looked around at Bowling Green this year and didn't see anyone running a Megasquirt there, maybe next year there will be more now. I kind of doubt I can get my buddy John(Plogg) to run one, but maybe Jim, or Brian will put one on their cars.

It's kind of wierd that not many people in turbo buicks run MS3 or a MS at all for that matter. With how cheap everyone seems to want to be with turbo buicks I would figure it would be a big hit. I guess it is just the fact it seems a lot of the crowd here are just sheep in the heard following the masses and never want to try anything new. Maybe the MS3pro and some vendor support will help that.

,Dan

After HelloBozos blows up yet another motor, he will have yet another ECM choice.

Please explain. Are you implying that HelloBozos past issues are ecu related? Or perhaps tuning related? What is your real name?

It's kind of wierd that not many people in turbo buicks run MS3 or a MS at all for that matter. With how cheap everyone seems to want to be with turbo buicks I would figure it would be a big hit. I guess it is just the fact it seems a lot of the crowd here are just sheep in the heard following the masses and never want to try anything new. Maybe the MS3pro and some vendor support will help that.

,Dan

I looked into it a few years ago. Even had a conversation with Mr. Cramer about loaning him my car so he could develop a PnP base map. Didn't pan out because I really couldn't feasibly get the car to him.

Following on, the only people that would *need* this are the guys running setups that the stock ECM can't handle, and for that you have a lot of FAST knowledge out there already. There's value in that established install base. For those of us still running injectors and near-stock turbochargers, chip providers like TurboTweak and FullThrottle are meeting the need at a fraction of the cost and time.

I actually ran a MegaSquirt on a TPI 350 for a year. It was a fun project, but without forking out the money for a few days at the dyno to really nail the maps down, I ended up in an endless cycle of tweaking the maps based on log data.

Please explain. Are you implying that HelloBozos past issues are ecu related? Or perhaps tuning related? What is your real name?

Oh, nothing to do with you or your tuning abilities whatsoever - I'm sorry if that's the way you took it. If anything, he may keep this motor together because you are helping him. You know his history.

Sorry I misunderstood you. I agree he has had his issues and I certainly won't make any promises as to his future success.
Back on topic :) When I spoke with one of the Mega Squirt guys, he mentioned he was installing one on a Buick in the Atlanta area.

I helped install and tune a 2.2 processor based supersquirt box on a Buick several yrs ago. it was fun and it worked great. Back then the igniton stratagy was the hardest part.

I later built a ms1v3.0 for my eagle talon tsi and man that was a fun thing to play with! If i didn't have a FAST on the buick then i would certainly have a supersquirt on my buick now!