mpfi

91dime

Drop & Destroy
Does anyone run mpfi on their 3.8s? I would really liek to set one up, my plans are 109 na block with 8445 heads. I would rather set up a mpfi and a distributor than the sqfi and coil packs. Any recomendations on a intake or throtle body? Do I need to use a single plan or can I use a dual? Im in between these from summit,

Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds: EDL-5486 - summitracing.com

Weiand X-CELerator Intake Manifolds: WND-7541 - summitracing.com

Those intakes will bolt up to what I plan on using right? Any help would be great, thanks.

I've used the Edelbrock. I've used the 4.1 oem intake.
I like them both but the Edelbrock has a better rapid response.

Edelbrock negatives: Could'nt use the Q-Jet w/o an adapter and sits higher so mods have to be done for hood clearance. No EGR.

In your case that would'nt matter for what you plan on doing.

The Weiand looks like the Kenne Bell intake.

Did you ever run a singleplane? Do you know if the edelbrock will bolt up to the turbo heads? This is my first buick so im new to alot of this stuff.

oh, well i didnt know if there was a difference or not. there the 8445 heads. So there all the same? What about the valve sizes, and the combustion chambers?

Did you ever run a singleplane? Do you know if the edelbrock will bolt up to the turbo heads? This is my first buick so im new to alot of this stuff.

The oem 4.1 intake is a duel plane design. I went with the Edelbrock for this reason. Edelbrock even has a cam and carb package for their intake.

It has been suggested by various authors I've read material from that it's best to stick with a package when available.

I believe that the Weiand intake is a single plane design like the Kenne Bell. Kenne Bell had their own cam/carb package for their intake too.

All are simple bolt-on upgrades. (For conveniance and availability I'd stick with the Edelbrock).

As for the heads, minor differances through the years but they all fit up to 1979. Port and polish and get oversized intake valves for the upgrade.

You could always find an intake, elbow, and throttle body, MAF, etc from a 86/87 GN. There would be little or no fabrication but you would have to run a stand-alone fuel management system (think MegaSquirt).

Aaron

I don't believe they changed the valve size...someone correct me if i'm wrong;) I do know the old old V6 from the 60's did use smaller valves...something like in the 1.6's for the intake. I guess the point is, if you are considering doing any kind of performance build, go with the newer style high port head. The 8445 casting number from the 84-87 GN is the best "as cast" design.

Aaron

The old old V6 was the fireball, the newer one (231) is a buick v8 minus two cylinders (different bore and stroke). Wikipedia said they changed the valve size in '79 but I haven't found any information on that to back it up yet.

As Aaron said tho, the 8445s are the best heads.

Wikipediea Article

The pre '79s are the low port design, anything and everything post is the high port. So it was a fair question.

I don't see where that has anything to do with "turbo" heads. There was never a pre-'79 '8445 casting. Even before '79, heads were heads, wether turbo or NA. Even low port intakes will bolt to his high port heads.

The Buick V6 was always a V8 less two cylinders. The significance of the 231 is that is shares parts with the 350 V8. There is a book called V-6 Performance which details the Buick V6 evolution up to 1982 very well.

Do rely on Wikipedia for this type of information. Wiki is just popular opinion and not necessarily factual.

I don't see where that has anything to do with "turbo" heads. There was never a pre-'79 '8445 casting. Even before '79, heads were heads, wether turbo or NA. Even low port intakes will bolt to his high port heads.

I have an offy dual port that doesn't work with my heads.

Very valid points though.

About the only mpfi setup on a v6 with a distributor for a GM vehicle was the reardrive fbody 2.8/3.1's. I believe you can change the connectors so you can use the largecap HEI computer controlled distributor. Howell engine developments will rework any stock EFI harness. They have pretty much a flat fee of 350 bucks to do any harness provided you have a complete one uncut from the bulkhead connector and including the pcm connector that has been pulled out of the car without being cut. They will give it it's own fuse panel and relays necessary with alead for the fuel pump. It's set up for you to supply a 12volt hot, and a 12 volt ignition lead so you can run your engine. You'll need a custom chip since 3.8 is a bigger motor, just make sure to use injectors from a 3.8 liter, for example an 88 lesabre with a 3.8. Like I said the fee is actually a starting point but should not exceed 500 bucks

About the only mpfi setup on a v6 with a distributor for a GM vehicle was the reardrive fbody 2.8/3.1's.

The 1985 Park Ave/Electra/C-body with the 3.8 SFI NA motor uses a distributor. 1985 only. It went DIS in 86.

If I was doing a MPFI project I would use the wire and sensors from this motor and use Megasquirt for an ECM. Thats if I had to have a distributor. Use custom fuel rails with one of those adapters that bolt onto a 4V manifold with a L98/LT1 style throttle body.

The reason im using a ditributor instead of DIS is becouse im starting form scratch with nothing and peicing it together. And This is my first buick engine so im learning, so when I said turbo heads I figured they were different sorry about that. Im using the "8445" heads. Have you guys used the megasquirt before? I was thinking of using an accel or holley comander system. I was planning on doing a standalone system. Thanks alot for the help.