WTB SD2 Chip

WE4TP

Hello everyone,
I will be moving to Texas, Georgetown specifically, and know that there is some kind of vehicle inspection that they perform in order to get the car registered in Texas. Is this inspection a smog/emissions test like California or is it just a safety inspection to make sure all the lights work, etc.

Appreciate any help you all have so that I can have Turbo Lou perform any necessary work needed.
Thanks,
WE4TP

Attachments

• BF8BD09F-2569-4F0D-8452-2F868DFF5EDC.jpeg
    BF8BD09F-2569-4F0D-8452-2F868DFF5EDC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
Your we4? Miles, how long you have it? I’ve got an 87 Gn I’m going to make into a gnx because as much as I love turbo regals I can’t see spending that much on a regal with an option.

Your we4? Miles, how long you have it? I’ve got an 87 Gn I’m going to make into a gnx because as much as I love turbo regals I can’t see spending that much on a regal with an option.
A WE4/WO2 car is the same car as the GN just with all Grey interior and badging. 80,000 miles and put together by TurboLou so it's done correctly. Only 1,547 built too. Good luck on the GNX clone. It will look great as most do.

How many years before a car is exempt in Texas from emissions for the inspection to register from another state? 25? Are these Buicks exempt?

How many years before a car is exempt in Texas from emissions for the inspection to register from another state? 25? Are these Buicks exempt?
>=25 years is emissions exempt in Texas.

Not sure if there's an age limit before it can be exempt but...you can register it with "Antique" plates which are good for 5 years and you're exempt from yearly inspection. Also don't have to have 2 plates or the blue&white registration sticker on the windshield. This is the case in my area which is a visual inspection only, but I'm not sure about the areas that have smog tests. Downside is that there are stipulations on having antique plates. Non daily driver, parade/shows only, some other things I think.

all vehicles in Texas have to safety inspection no matter the age, it is $7 or $9 I do not remember the price. It is just another tax on vehicle ownership. The safety inspection is a joke, check lights horn open hood and close hood.

Emissions testing go county by county and are done if federal mandated. In the counties that require emissions testing vehicles 25 and older are exempt. So for 2020 1995 and older exempt. This combined emissions and safety is $20 something dollars. You can look at the state website it lists the counties that are required.

My recommend is find a good local shop that does the inspections. I have a place that all they do is inspections you drive up don’t even turn the car off they drive in perform the checks pay your money and leave. They even leave your driver door open for you. Other “shops” you can be there for forever. Or have to argue with them that a 1971 doesn’t require a cat on it.

all vehicles in Texas have to safety inspection no matter the age, it is $7 or $9 I do not remember the price. It is just another tax on vehicle ownership. The safety inspection is a joke, check lights horn open hood and close hood.

Emissions testing go county by county and are done if federal mandated. In the counties that require emissions testing vehicles 25 and older are exempt. So for 2020 1995 and older exempt. This combined emissions and safety is $20 something dollars. You can look at the state website it lists the counties that are required.

My recommend is find a good local shop that does the inspections. I have a place that all they do is inspections you drive up don’t even turn the car off they drive in perform the checks pay your money and leave. They even leave your driver door open for you. Other “shops” you can be there for forever. Or have to argue with them that a 1971 doesn’t require a cat on it.

Also you have to perform the inspection every year before you can renew registration. You will also have to get inspection done before you can transfer your registration to Texas from your old state.

I found a shop and great guy that understood what I was bringing in and had me out in about 15 minutes with no questions asked. $7.

I found a shop and great guy that understood what I was bringing in and had me out in about 15 minutes with no questions asked. $7.
Great. Keep using him. And better yet write a letter to your state representative and ask them to eliminate the worthless inspection.

Antique plates are the way to go for these cars. 25 years and older does not require an annual safety inspection and the plates are good for five years at a cost of $10/year. Unless you plan on daily driving it, regular registration is not needed and is a waste of time/money. TxDPS - Unique Vehicles

Need to be able to drive the car. Guys that just let them sit is weird to me.

Inspection includes checking to see that the Glock in the console is clean and ready.... ;)

Had my AR in the trunk too! Rollin heavy!

Really though...Safety only; older than 25yrs. Took mine 2 weeks ago and they didn't really check anything. All the mechanics took pictures.

Nice! Yeah, when I did mine last August, he took it around back and was back in about 10 minutes. All the parts were still on the car too when he brought it back out. haha

On a side note, just purchased an AR myself and a 9mm. Just want to be ready when the poor Libs feel they need my Buick more than I do. :confused: