Mounting Accessories under Radio

Rayk

Let the Boost begin!
We've had a good thread going on the Car Audio Topic about adding 1/2 or 1/4 DIN accessories under the Radio for those of us with aftermarket CD Receivers. Turns out there is a Metra Adapter available which will allow a full inch (1/2 DIN) space under the radio which could be used for some of our accessories like Boost Commander, Scanmaster, Switch panels, etc.

Now, wouldn't it be cool if SMC sould design a 1/2 DIN box to house their Alchy system which could be located in this free space? I'd love to get my SMC unit off of the top of the radio/AC cluster. How about it Steve? Is it possible?

The volume inside the current SMC Controller is about 18 cubic inches. The volume inside a 1/2 DIN case 1" X 8" X 4" is 32 cubic inches. Sounds feasible to me. Question is, would there be enough demand from the T/R community??????????

Just to add my input (even though I already did in the car audio forum)....

I think it would make sense to re-package the controller, if it is possible. The kit is a great product, and is a proven asset to our cars. The only problem facing many is where to put the controller..? Some mount it next to the dash pod. Well, fine for some that like gauges and controllers hanging all over inside their car. I also know that there are quite a few figuring out how to take it apart, disect it and put it where they want it.
If you look at a lot of the accessories for the import scene out there (not that Im a closet ricer or anything ;) )they are sized by DIN units. The DIN units are a commonly acceptable accessory measurement for aftermarket products. The turbo timers, turbo controllers, and many other in-car products are geared towards mounting in unused dash space.
Not only could this benefit our cars in the TB community, but others looking to use this kit on their cars.

I've never seen the inside of an SMC box but would it be possible to repackage it into a Scanmaster box? Maybe we could make a kit to do-it-yourself. Get Ramchargers to sell us some Scanmaster boxes and BFH to make a new cover for the front? Just a thought :D

gn1220 - Great idea. I've spent some time on the internet trying to locate a company that makes 1/4 DIN boxes as well as 1/2 DIN boxes but so far I've been unsuccessful. I think it would e a push to get the SMC in a Scanmaster size box but who know until we look at the contents of the SMC Box. Maybe I'll contact Ramchargers to see if they will give us the name of the box source.

Kick A$$! Keep us in formed. Like I said, I haven't seen the inside of the SMC box (yet) but I think this could be done pretty easily.