motor rebuild ideas

COOPER12

I wanted to try the 4.1 swap but am concerned with the smog demons here in California.
Any ideas on pistons , cam that might help ? Probably heads too to get her breathing better?

Brands and any part numbers would be great. would love to spend the extra money and have her running better than stock

also will a later 86-87 short block fit in without modifications? trying to figure the best route to keep it legal and get it running..

Thanks

ill check it out. I want to keep the same setup just the 109 blocks are more common to find rebuilt if mine is not salvageable and not sure if anyone out here is willing or can rebuild mine. may be easier to put in a short block but am not sure yet

Basically any 1979-1987 3.8 or 4.1 short block will work. Even a 3.8 NA engine is plenty strong for stock power levels.

If you are going to spend the extra money, then I would definitely recommend a 4.1 V6. The block is externally the same. Bolt on your turbo set up with a good catalytic converter and I don't see how it could fail emissions (but I'm not a CA emissions expert). I would port the heads and use a roller cam. Since you are rebuilding it, go with a stoker kit, which I believe ups the displacement to 274. With the stock turbo and emissions configuration, you will be boost limited, so the extra displacement will help.

Full Throttle Speed and Style is one vendor with the stoker kits.
http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/customkititems.asp+kc+00141STROKER+eq+

Agree with Rich a 4.1 only cost a little more they have turbo cranks already install a mild roller and a looser stall and it should pass emissions and run great