motor blown so im told why?

bayboy87natl

Newbie here daily driver 3 days ago i fired up my 87 stock gn and had lifter noise like it had no oil tapping basicly sounded like crap.It went away so i drove about 20 miles and i noticed i have no power at all just bogs gutless.However i can manually give throttle under hood no problem.So i checked my oil wich is good,coolant good, did not overheat and i do not drive my car hard.Now it seems to be running on 3 cylinders motor shake,rough idle,no smoke at all.I broght it to my mechanic who knows nada about gns,he did a compression check and said cylinders are leaking and only had good compression in 3 cyliders but 2 were at 30.Any ideas what could be going on.My car has 95k miles i have owned it for 6 years.Thanks for any input

Sounds like the cam went south. If it jumped time all the cylinders would be low on compression not just three. Get it on a trailer and get it to turbolou.

You may have wiped a cam and then taken out bearings from the trash. Need more info but those compression numbers don't sound good.

Post your location, maybe a local member can stop by and help you out.

Bryan

Because when you take out the cam, all the metal from it circulates through your oil wiping out everything else.

The stock upper timing gear is nylon coated. The coating will chip off leaving a lot of slack in the timing chain. This can allow the chain to jump which will make the car run like absolute crap. As long as a valve didnt hit a piston you're fine. Just replace it with a all metal OEM replacement timing set from Melling. This happened to me once on my big block buick and it did the same thing. I was convinced I trashed the motor until I pulled the timing cover apart. Hope this is all that happened to you.

No way around this one, it needs to come apart for inspection. You might be able to leave the engine in place and strip all the accessories and the front cover to inspect the chain.

Newbie here daily driver 3 days ago i fired up my 87 stock gn and had lifter noise like it had no oil tapping basicly sounded like crap....................My car has 95k miles i have owned it for 6 years.Thanks for any input

What oil have you been using? any ZZP additive?

At a minimum it needs the front cover removed and checked out by an experienced Turbo Regal mechanic. OR........buy a set of tools and WE (all of us on here) will teach you to repair your own car. It's lots of FUN, AND........you'll learn some new swear words to add to your vocabulary.

Seriously fix it yourself. Not too hard to do. A few hundred bucks in tools and time on-line rading and you will be an expert in no time. I have rebuilt engines over the phone a few times. Be happy to help.

Thats the best way hands on. I learned how to work on these cars after I blew a head gasket on my T-Type and my dad said he was going to help me with it. Well my car sat up for nearly 2 weeks and I never heard from him so me and gnttype.org became very well acquainted. And now I'm not no expert but I can do any job that has to be done on the old Buick. Its only hard as you make it. Remember my motto work smart not hard.

The stock upper timing gear is nylon coated. The coating will chip off leaving a lot of slack in the timing chain. This can allow the chain to jump which will make the car run like absolute crap. As long as a valve didnt hit a piston you're fine. Just replace it with a all metal OEM replacement timing set from Melling. This happened to me once on my big block buick and it did the same thing. I was convinced I trashed the motor until I pulled the timing cover apart. Hope this is all that happened to you.

This

Every car Ive ever seen do this has needed valves. Some people have gotten away with it. If you truly have a 95K engine, Id yank the heads, timing cover and oil pan, fix it up and button it back up and forget about it. Thats just a weekend project if you got a buddy to help.

Well, except for having the heads fixed.

Being a stock cam, and not being an interference engine, wouldn't even a broken chain not cause valves to hit the pistons ?