Most possible Horsepower out of 109 Block??

SAMBALLS1

What the most power someone has made on a professionally built 109 block.
How much can you make and at what point will it break!

What the most power someone has made on a professionally built 109 block.
How much can you make and at what point will it break!

Dave Bamford went 147, Dick Kerny went 148.

They are making more than 850HP with 70-71MM Turbos.

Dick went faster with GT45 Based Turbo but I am not totally sure
of the weight; so I can not do the calculation.
Maybe Cal, Dick or someone involved can respond.

Dan Strezo and Bill Anderson could give us some professional insight to your question.

Roy and Laz have done some crazy stuff maybe they can provide some data as well.

5.80 in the eighth seems to be the breaking point of a fully race prepped stock block in a 3500+lb TR. Chris Hogeland cracked his after running a few passes in that range. 900hp? Ive seen them break mains on 11 second cars that had detonation.

The big question is for how long?? I am sure that you can get over 1,000 for a second or so before kablammo:D

Zimmerman Racing has built the only 8 second 109 block.
~156mph at unknown weight in Dick Kereny's TSM car.

Nick Micale can put you in touch with Zimmerman.
602-866-9908

i think we are in the 700 RWHP range.. we are at 2 years on this build without a re-freash with around 200+ 1/4 and 1/8 runs and over 700 street miles..

car came in at 3230lbs without me and i come in at a FAT 240lbs..

3470lbs at a trap speed of 140mph :stated RWHP of 743.13

and all this in very humid and HOT weather.. i think with cooler air the car would make over 820RWHP :)

I'll have to verify with Dick. I think we were around 3400 when we ran 156. We made 3 more 152-154mph passes with that block then put it back in TSM trim and ran half the season with it before the timing chain or rod broke at Columbus.

Cal, Did Dick's engine never get tore down to see what broke in it first?
I would love to know if it was a rod or a timming chain that broke.
Thanks, Kip

Home of the 2007 TSO Champion- Dave Fiscus 8.34@167.09

Cal,
That is an impressive group of cars you have running in your signature! Congrats on everyones success and accomplishments, thier efforts and accomplishments were impressive.

I did notice that you have Dave Fiscus as the 2007 TSO Champion and that is a little ambiguous for the average Buick racer. Dave is the 2007 TSO Top Gun Point Series Champion and not the GSCA TSO race champion which BTW was Avon Thorppe. I think it is notable that Dave won a point series and not just one race and should be distinguished in your signature along with DIck Kerneys accomplishments in winning the TSM point series. I think it says a lot more to win a point series than just one race, don't you agree?

Cal, Did Dick's engine never get tore down to see what broke in it first?
I would love to know if it was a rod or a timming chain that broke.
Thanks, Kip

It was tore down and I was told it was the timing chain that broke first.

Cal,
That is an impressive group of cars you have running in your signature! Congrats on everyones success and accomplishments, thier efforts and accomplishments were impressive.

I did notice that you have Dave Fiscus as the 2007 TSO Champion and that is a little ambiguous for the average Buick racer. Dave is the 2007 TSO Top Gun Point Series Champion and not the GSCA TSO race champion which BTW was Avon Thorppe. I think it is notable that Dave won a point series and not just one race and should be distinguished in your signature along with DIck Kerneys accomplishments in winning the TSM point series. I think it says a lot more to win a point series than just one race, don't you agree?

Not always. If the race is within the series, than I would agree. If not, it would depend on the event. I'll take an NHRA win over a local points series championship.

I tried to keep the signature simple. You'll notice I didn't list any of my own accomplishments. I won several events from 2001 to 2006.

I updated the signature. Seems a little complicated. What do you think?

Seems like you can be around 700-750 for a long time, if the tune is right. Amazing how far the 109 has come!

GSCA TSO race champion which BTW was Avon Thorppe.

Avon, won the Buick vs. Ford shoot out at Atco Raceway, NJ last Sunday!
"Avon just took 1st place in the Pro class with a 8.88 on a 8.80 dial."

He also has a Bill Anderson motor like Nordy Racer does....

Chuck

Chuck

Congrats Avon, good job, you really have a busy race schedule. How many passes are on that motor this year alone?? :confused:

Congrats Avon, good job, you really have a busy race schedule. How many passes are on that motor this year alone?? :confused:

Ted,
The current engine in Avon's car has well over 300 passes on it.He is not the fastest BUT he keeps going and going! A conservative tooooon and good parts is what it takes to get the job done. You know the drill.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, it is worth it to mention that was with the 76 turbo on Drag Radials at 3500#

Hey Chuck, it is worth it to mention that was with the 76 turbo on Drag Radials at 3500#

Sure Bill,

Yea, that car is amazing to watch go down the track...
Banning and I stood against the wall in BG KY to watch Avon win it all, and I swear that for 3/4 of the way down the track his car appeared to be spinning. The rear seamed to be hanging towards the drivers side, all I really know is, that it was something to watch.

Chuck

Ted,
The current engine in Avon's car has well over 300 passes on it.He is not the fastest BUT he keeps going and going! A conservative tooooon and good parts is what it takes to get the job done. You know the drill.

Wow that's a lot of passes, his car is SICK. He must be the most serious racer out there, at least in the TSO world. He seems to be one of the first guys that attends/competes at Buick events, then the next morning he is out at NOPI or some other type of organized racing. I forgot about that turbo, I'm expecting a phone call today, I have some questions for you... ;)

...................................................................................

I updated the signature. Seems a little complicated. What do you think?

Not to take anything away from anyones accomplishments as stated in your signature.

Are all the times etc., stated been accomplished at the actual races in those classes or series depicted, or private test & tune sessions. :confused:

If everything is acurate in your statements than I guess your good :)

Joe

At the present level that the stock block classes are at, you'd need to build a grenade to hope to compete. I think it's wrong to have a rule that states you have to use a production block. How many don't bother with the class because they realize that they would be building an engine on a suicide mission. And the rule is meant to try and keep things cheap? Sorry. I can't afford that kind of racing.

The block is the foundation of the engine. It doesn't matter how good the other parts are. When metal fatigue catches up to the block, the whole engine is toast.