Most Popular Aftermarket Shifter....( New Product Research)

Coach

Bo ran away with my goat :(
Hello Guys
I have been asked for years about my shifter install on my car, so I have decided to look into the mounting platform I made and possibly build it to sell. Anyone who has ever done an aftermarket shifter install knows it is not easy. Now my shifter was raised and I made a new plate that does not use the factory shifter plate and ash tray. I'm looking for which model shifters you guys are wanting to run. How important is the factory trim panel for the shifter? how important is the ashtray? I know about the switch plates that fit in the ashtray.

This is more for the guys who want a different shifter more then the guys who already went thru the install.
Anyone can comment on the issues they encountered or problems that arose after.

I want to make this so no modifications are needed to the console so if that means making a new trim face plate...then that is how I will do it.

Thank you all
Coach

I am about to put in a th400 and am looking at the Hurst Pistol grip or the TCI Outlaw. But the biggest thing i see is there is now way around cutting the console and i would like to avoid that. If your making a alternative solution i am on board.

Me personally I would love a set of lightning rods with all the parts needed for the install and not have to pay a couple thousand for it.

This was not a easy install but worth the time and expense. I did not do the install myself, another TR guy that had done his own done mine. He said there is quite a bit of fab work to make it fit the stock shift plate.

0202171551.jpg

I agree, keeping the factory console in tact is preferred and would love a hurst pistol grip shifter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive posted this before and im not the first to do it but i love the b&m stealth pro ratchet... this took a lot of measuring but not a ton of fab work. I only had to cut a small slot in the top plate for the reverse lockout lever. The indicator is visible through the stock window (i added a led light underneath) and the included sticker lines up with the pointer.

Attachments

• 20160409_202144.jpg
    20160409_202144.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 704
Very cool looking.
Ive posted this before and im not the first to do it but i love the b&m stealth pro ratchet... this took a lot of measuring but not a ton of fab work. I only had to cut a small slot in the top plate for the reverse lockout lever. The indicator is visible through the stock window (i added a led light underneath) and the included sticker lines up with the pointer.

FAST 86GN said:

This was not a easy install but worth the time and expense. I did not do the install myself, another TR guy that had done his own done mine. He said there is quite a bit of fab work to make it fit the stock shift plate.

0202171551-jpg.309579

Exactly what I want in mine! I'm just put off by the fab work

Last edited by a moderator:
kirban 2 cents worth

My background is with Hurst and Hurst has always been the big name heck for the Vette market what they do to do away with the sloppy muncie shifter they mount a Muncie handle and use Hurst linkage under the console.

Years ago Quality Engineering did a neat install.....I had one in my new GN in 1987....best of both worlds.

You remove your top plate they supplied a new metal top plate so you do not destroy your factory top plate. the new powder coated grey top plate eliminated ash tray PRN etc was engraved in silver on the top plate and the Hurst Quarter stick was installed. Don't need letters to lite up everyone knows the pattern.

My son dropped the Hurst quarter stick into my SYclone fit like a glove the factory boot had Buick done a leather boot it would make life easier.

Stick with Hurst and a new top plate....

I would be a buyer and reseller.

Our shifters are primitive and remained unchanged from 1978 thru 1988..

can't member what the Quality unit sold for...sure it exists in some cars today my car went to Hawaii.

key is make a new top plate to eliminate destroying the factory top plate. Forget about the ash tray nobody smokes in these cars.
that cares about $200 per yard pallex seat material.

denniskirban@yahoo.com...

Thanks. It's a TCI Outlaw shifter. My brother put it in right before I got the car from him. I think he used a little material but mostly made an adjustable thread Rod set up to dial in the position. It was done with the trans out of the car. The only problem was there is drive and 3rd but you can not pull back to any lower manual positions. I didn't care about that as the car is a LS Turbo with a 4L80E controlled by Holley and stays in Drive or D3. No reason to manual shift

This is my next project for sure.
Right now I am in the middle of my XFI under seat mount which is almost ready for a prototype.
I'll keep posting info and ideas as my goal is to add products never introduced into the community before.
I've been doing automotive engineering for almost 26 years for Detroit, so I figured it was time to step out and do a little Hot Rod stuff for all you guys.

The shifter that Red LS1 posted is the direction I would like to go. If your design would work with this; I would purchase one.