Mortgage Life insurance - Worth it or scam??

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Having just purchased a house I am being bombarded with offers for life insurance policies that pay off the mortgage if either my wife OR I die. Is this something worth looking into or is it a ripoff?

I already have decent life insurance policies on my wife and myself but was thinking this might be a good idea.

SCAM!!! Run do not walk away from that.

I've seen it pay off for about 1 in 1000. Goes for mortgage loans and consumer loans. They are not even legal in some states. Many lawsuits over these, over charging etc., so a lot of companies don't even offer it anymore. Considering the ridiculous amount of income they get from selling it, that's saying a lot. The cost is up there, no matter what your age. It will probably only cover you for 5 years, unless you are on a monthly renewing policy. Much better to just have a whole life policy that will last and probably cost less.

Stay away!!! I keep getting these too. The ones I get say to just sign the form and we will provide you with enough coverage to pay off the house if you die. They don't tell you how much it is though. I even got a threatening phone call from the company trying to sign me up. This is what your regular life insurance is for. Why did you get that? Too pay off the house in the event you or your wife died. Why do you need an extra coverage to maybe do the same thing?

RUN!

**** that
you should get the insurance, why?

wel, my mom and my aunt went intogether to buy the house we live in.

my aunt died in december, but she got a life insurance policy worth the balance of the mortgage. if she haden't done that, my mother wouldn't have been able to afford the mortgage alone... instead we own the house clear and free.. you decide whats worth more to you!

actually now, you guys seem to be talking about something interesting..

AFAIK it was offered at closing, or whatever.. through conseco .. either way, there was no hassle or anything.. just go through a good company man!

Jay, there is a difference between life insurance and mortgage insurance. I RECOMMEND LIFE INSURANCE. That will pay off the mortgage. I would stay away from MORTGAGE INSURANCE. It is a scam.

There are 2 types of coverage. Level and decreasing. Level covers you for the starting principle loan amount, and stays at that level of protection. The cheaper, decreasing, covers the principle balance of the loan. Most likely you are being offered decreasing on a mortgage. Here, in MS, loan coverage is up to $100,000. If you owe $200,000, then you're still left with $100,000 you owe. It doesn't necessarily pay it off. This will likely be different in different states--if it is even legal to be offered. Also, what you're doing is paying a lump sum of the policy. You aren't paying monthly, like car insurance or life insurance. You are financing in $4000 on top of your mortagage loan amount. That means that $4000 @ 6% over the term of your loan ***although the coverage ends in 5 years***. At the end of the 5 years you may be offered monthly installments to keep the coverage, but that is a different kind of policy they are switching you to--it ain't cheap either. You're still paying for the initial policy, since it was financed in for the 30, 20 or 15 years you financed your house on. To further show this:

$4000 (that's being generous, it's based on age)
at 6%
financed for 30 years
= $23.98/mo
23.98 x 360 (30 yrs) = $8632.80 you paid for 5 yrs coverage of $100,000.

Go get a real life insurance policy of some sort, whole, term whatever. It'll be real coverage not something that will expire uselessly. That $4000 is generous and for a younger borrower. If you are at the age where it is really a factor that you may be worried about dying, the rate is much higher. Plus, there are conditions about health, suicide etc.

If they are offering this to you at the closing table, that is a big sign that it's a scam. More likely you're thinking about the attorney offering you your own title insurance policy, in addition to the title insurance you bought for the lender. That's different, but I wouldn't get that one either. Not a big scam like this stuff though.

This WASN'T offered at closing. It supposedly will pay off the balance of your mortgage whether you or your spouse dies. It is a monthly payment of around $40 or so. Just thought it would be a good idea in case I croak that my wife will have the house paid off and my life insurance to live off of for a while.

hm what company is it through ? ours was through conseco, i say it was worth it, my aunt seemed quite healthy and normal, and bam , on the way home from work, major stroke..

and that also depends on what you got with your current employer for life insurance...

dif its more than enough for the mortgage and your family, then perhaps you dont need to worry about it.. just a thought

Stick with life insurance that will pay your mortgage and whatever else you want with the left over. I don't know how old you are but my wife just signed up for life insurance after we bought our house. Her $500,000 policy costs me $273/yr. That will pay off the house and all my bills and give me plenty left over money. I will increase it when we have kids. I get that much coverage thru work for free so I don't need a policy of my own yet. She is 28. It will be less if you guys are younger and more if your older. Smoker's pay more too but you get the idea.

When I get threatneing phone calls from the company trying to sell me this mortgage insurance I know it is a scam. If it was a good deal they would be trying to scare me into taking it.

Didn't mean to sound condescending, get it if you like the sound of it. I was referring to Jay who said it was offered at closing, although I'd think that was the title insurance, since it would mean printing a new set of doc's if it was financed into the loan. I did see reference to it in a British magazine that made it sound like it was required over there if you were at a certain LTV on the house. May have misinterpreted that. The thing about using a regular life insurance policy is that you have flexibility in how you apply that money. If it's $200k, after taxes, you could put $150 on the house instead of paying it off, they'll recalculate your payment for you based on the new balance, and then you can use the rest for other expenses, bills, nest egg for the child etc. That's just my .02, different strokes for different folks.

What you guys are talking about is mortgage cancelation insurance, and it is NOT a scam if you get it through the insurance company that is insuring the house. Or, sometimes you can get it from your auto insurance company if they also insure homes. I think your better off just getting a life insurance policy on yourself AND your spouse. Not that expensive for the piece of mind. Hope this helps Mark.

Ken B.

its a scam.most are accidental death and dont cover most things that people die of.my mom past and she had the insurance,first they didnt want to honor it saying she was dropped even though she was charged for it every month,then when i got that straight they said since she died of cancer that they wouldnt pay because it wasnt ACCIDENTAL!!stay with life insurance!!!!!:mad:

Here is a link to an article on MSN today, "Ten types of Insurance Worth Skipping", Mortgage insurance is no. 8

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Avoidripoffs/P35793.asp

8. Mortgage insurance
It's more expensive than it’s worth. Besides, you could do better with another policy -- one that you might already have. These policies are designed to make your mortgage payments if you die or become disabled. If you’re worried about burdening your heirs with mortgage payments, you’d be better off buying straight life insurance. Adding onto your existing life insurance policy is less expensive than mortgage life.

Chris

Actually, $40 a month for $200k or so of mortgage insurance isn't a bad deal, IF it pays regardless of HOW you die...

On the other hand, accidental death policies can be had for pretty cheap (I've seen $13 a month for $180k), but yes, your death MUST be accidental...

Whatever you decide, don't go with "Bob's Insurance Co.", be sure you've at least seen ONE commercial for the company! ;)