Morel roller lifters salvageable?

Sleeper

Are these salvageable?
Bought them from FT a few years ago for a project, but had to put it on hold. so they just sat in a their box. Never used them. Wanted to use them for another project recently and dug them out. Only to find they had some sort of corrosion on the back side of the rollers after I turned the rollers to check them.
Can something like that be polished out? Is it just surface stain corrosion?
Can that pin be pressed out so I can check the needle bearings?
Never thought I would have to coat them in oil when I put them away.

Thanks,
Paul
DSC04870.JPG
DSC04869.JPG
DSC04876.JPG
DSC04877.JPG

That rust is of little concern. What is of concern is the axle not remaining a press fit. This was a problem with these lifters a few years back. They use a retaining clip on the later ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That rust is of little concern. What is of concern is the axle not remaining a press fit. This was a problem with these lifters a few years back. They use a retaining clip on the later ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bison, going over some old Morel posts I came across that issue. it looks like mine are swaged on both sides. Is that still an issue? This will not be used with a wild cam or high rpm.

So that rust can be polished out?

Steer clear of the swedge fit type. I chased a top end (5200ish rpm) break up problem and turned out I had 3 lifters where the swedge failed and axles were dragging in the lifter bores.

Steer clear of the swedge fit type. I chased a top end (5200ish rpm) break up problem and turned out I had 3 lifters where the swedge failed and axles were dragging in the lifter bores.

So are you saying basically these are junk?

I now have limited travel morels (circlip retention) and even with a xfi lobes on the new cam it sounds no different than the regular morels as far as valvetrain noise. I made a thread with pics and details.

I now have limited travel morels (circlip retention) and even with a xfi lobes on the new cam it sounds no different than the regular morels as far as valvetrain noise. I made a thread with pics and details.

I re read your post and yeah, it's a gamble. Not going to take the chance. What a waste of $$$

Are these salvageable?
Bought them from FT a few years ago for a project, but had to put it on hold. so they just sat in a their box. Never used them. Wanted to use them for another project recently and dug them out. Only to find they had some sort of corrosion on the back side of the rollers after I turned the rollers to check them.
Can something like that be polished out? Is it just surface stain corrosion?
Can that pin be pressed out so I can check the needle bearings?
Never thought I would have to coat them in oil when I put them away.

Thanks,
Paul
As long as the surface of the roller is smooth, it should be ok. I would soak them in mineral spirits to clean. Make sure the rollers spin smooth, very important. Make sure the plunger does not stick from internal rust. You cannot remove the roller axle. The axle is swedged to the body to prevent movement. Years ago, they were having an issue with there swedge machine which would sometimes only swedge one side allowing the axle to come out during use. It should never have made it past quality control. It is common practice to check both sides of a roller lifter to have a proper swedge before installation. A new machine cost a few million to purchase, so it seems they now install a c-clip retention. This is the worst design ever. I repeat, this is the worst design ever. Anyone running such a lifter is looking for future failure. The swedge keeps the axle from moving and supports the bottom of the lifter. The c-clip retention allows the axle to spin which 2 dissimilar metals will wear, the bore to axle clearance will increase and eventually fail or worse toss a c-clip. Search and you will find fork style lifters with c-clip retention breaking at the fork because there is no support from a swedge axle. I switched away from them 5+ years ago because of all the issues with failures and inherent poor performance. I have my own line of performance roller lifters now Made in the USA which are far superior. I offer many different styles and they have a life time warranty against manufacture defect and a one time user error.

I would use the ones you have if they check out ok before a c clip retention style

Any questions, feel free to call in

Last edited:
As long as the surface of the roller is smooth, it should be ok. I would soak them in mineral spirits to clean. Make sure the rollers spin smooth, very important. Make sure the plunger does not stick from internal rust. You cannot remove the roller axle. The axle is swedged to the body to prevent movement. Years ago, they were having an issue with there swedge machine which would sometimes only swedge one side allowing the axle to come out during use. It should never have made it past quality control. It is common practice to check both sides of a roller lifter to have a proper swedge before installation. A new machine cost a few million to purchase, so it seems they now install a c-clip retention. This is the worst design ever. I repeat, this is the worst design ever. Anyone running such a lifter is looking for future failure. The swedge keeps the axle from moving and supports the bottom of the lifter. The c-clip retention allows the axle to spin which 2 dissimilar metals will wear, the bore to axle clearance will increase and eventually fail or worse toss a c-clip. Search and you will find fork style lifters with c-clip retention breaking at the fork because there is no support from a swedge axle. I switched away from them 5+ years ago because of all the issues with failures and inherent poor performance. I have my own line of performance roller lifters now Made in the USA which are far superior. I offer many different styles and they have a life time warranty against manufacture defect and a one time user error.

I would use the ones you have if they check out ok before a c clip retention style

Any questions, feel free to call in

Thanks for your input David. Greatly appreciated.