Morel roller lifter pin failure

Not trying to get in a pissing contest. Any builder that denies that these were a known design issue and justifies running this design over the corrected one wouldnt get a dime of my business. Dam that. More than anything this thread is here for info as others somewhere at some point will search and hopefully find this thread and have some info.

Not trying to get in a pissing contest. Any builder that denies that these were a known design issue and justifies running this design over the corrected one wouldnt get a dime of my business. Dam that. More than anything this thread is here for info as others somewhere at some point will search and hopefully find this thread and have some info.
I'm not looking for a pissing contest either. I'm just trying to understand the failure mode, and why Morel changed their design. My engine's cam & valve train is configured exactly like this high volume shop's "bread & butter" street / strip engine I had spoken of. The only change I was told about was when the K Motion 750's were dumped in favor of the PAC 1201's. The PAC 1201's have been around for at least 5 years. This makes me think that a large number of engines were built over a 5 year period. I would like to see more folks speak up. Would you be willing to share your gross lift, valve spring nose load and max RPM? That information would certainly help me out. I'm not trying to say you are wrong, I'm just trying to gain enough information to make my own assessment based on the facts that I can get. It looks like Morel was bought out by this other company (ref'd in this thread). It might be possible that the "swedged" lifters were dumped because people were pushing to higher spring rates, big lobes and higher RPM's. This may have been a strategy to reduce the number of lifter part numbers & provide a Buick lifter for a small volume market.

This is sad to read, I have a set I bought in 2009 for $290 from Weber part #5393 with less than 1k miles on them because they were the new quiet/quality lifter.

So which lifters are actually worth using with a 215 roller because my new Stroker isn't using these?

This is sad to read, I have a set I bought in 2009 for $290 from Weber part #5393 with less than 1k miles on them because they were the new quiet/quality lifter.

So which lifters are actually worth using with a 215 roller because my new Stroker isn't using these?
I have roller lifters as stated in post #42. Contact me for more info.

Morel roller lifter pin failure post 42

Thanks for the info guys! I have a set I purchased a while ago to use w/a new build on a hi lift cam.(.596/.591) Now I will have to go back and check for comparability.

Any word on how the improved lifters with the cir-clips are holding up?

Any word on how the improved lifters with the cir-clips are holding up?
I wouldn't say they have been improved. Fixing the problems they had with the swedge would have been an improvement. There are many reported failures at the cir-clip.

I wouldn't say they have been improved. Fixing the problems they had with the swedge would have been an improvement. There are many reported failures at the cir-clip.
I wonder why vendors continue to sell a product that has been known to fail? Especially on a high dollar engine build. It's very frustrating. I should've insisted on using different lifter before my engine was complete in August 2016, when Dave H. told me that Morels weren't dependable. I guess I could still swap them out, but between the cost of new lifters and labor I'm not sure I have the funds. I haven't really pushed my new build yet, I was planning to this summer. Hopefully I can get away with just cruising around this summer and hold off on cranking up the boost.