Morel roller lifter pin failure

I don't think their is anyone else for the tr cars except crower (I believe) that has a shrouded lifter and It might just be solid roller. Hey turbo nasty just curious as to what kind of over the nose pressure you are running?

Does someone know what the beginning of the "bad part" manufacture was and or any markings/ witness marks of the bad part ? I have to agree that the cost to machine the lifter body to accept clips (along with the clips themselves) will drive cost and is a likely admission of a poor design. Improper manufacture does not guarantee the absence of clip release in the lifter bore. Who are the likely alternates?
Not sure who else is out there. Comp is one but I know they changed their short travel to a non shrouded foot so thats out as far as limited travel lifters go.
I don't think their is anyone else for the tr cars except crower (I believe) that has a shrouded lifter and It might just be solid roller. Hey turbo nasty just curious as to what kind of over the nose pressure you are running?
I carry the correct lifter for the Turbo Buick. I have the 885's built for me which is a race lifter and called a reduced travel. I also have a standard travel version and a short travel version built for me.. These are the only lifter I found that can handle higher spring pressures and still retain the function design of a hydraulic lifter. I sell these mainly to builders and with my custom cam kits. They are more expensive than the morels, but well worth it. The picture shows the reduced travel lifter set. The two lifters at the bottom are solid rollers with axle oiling that work in the 109 block. Any question, please call me.

TBP885 and Solids.jpg

These had around 350 to 375

I carry the correct lifter for the Turbo Buick. I have the 885's built for me which is a race lifter and called a reduced travel. I also have a standard travel version and a short travel version built for me.. These are the only lifter I found that can handle higher spring pressures and still retain the function design of a hydraulic lifter. I sell these mainly to builders and with my custom cam kits. They are more expensive than the morels, but well worth it. The picture shows the reduced travel lifter set. The two lifters at the bottom are solid rollers with axle oiling that work in the 109 block. Any question, please call me.

View attachment 275169

@David Husek Pics of pin?

Last edited:
David these look the same .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 230

View attachment 275169
Hey David are those the comp lifters, and are the pins just larger or whats the difference between these and the morels as far as strength as I am getting ready to buy a set of limited travels.thanks

Yes was also thinking that my cam is small 396/396 with the rockers 1.65 I thinks it's 429 ?

Yes was also thinking that my cam is small 396/396 with the rockers 1.65 I thinks it's 429 ?
Yea you shouldn't have any problems with that small of a cam and running the morels, I just don't think they are meant to handle real radical cams with a lot of open spring pressures.I still wouldn't run the ones that you have because turbo nasty doesn't have that large of a cam and his failed, buy the new updated ones.

Hate to sell something that's defective and can mess up someone's motor .what is a mother to do ?

I've used about every lifter available. Over the years just about all have had problems at one time or another though over 90% of the time the problem is with the springs/cam selection and not lifter related at all. Old comp 853 with garbage in them and morels from 5 years ago with pins coming loose. This isn't a new thing. In recent years I've had zero problems with lifters myself. Several sets of Crower solids with success also and they were very fast on shipment for such a niche item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used about every lifter available. Over the years just about all have had problems at one time or another though over 90% of the time the problem is with the springs/cam selection and not lifter related at all. Old comp 853 with garbage in them and morels from 5 years ago with pins coming loose. This isn't a new thing. In recent years I've had zero problems with lifters myself. Several sets of Crower solids with success also and they were very fast on shipment for such a niche item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. These failures are a function of improper cam / spring selection, possible excessive cam thrust. Higher rpm (6200 +) plays into this as well. I have a 212/206, 111 Comp austentemper & 1.6 rocker ratio, .523/.503 lift. I use PAC 1201's; 130 on the seat & 420lb on the nose and I'll stick with my broken down morels for a while. When you start pushing 500 psi on the nose with a billet roller & morels get out the shovel.

These swedge fit style have a record of failing...period. Saying the failure of the pin retention is improper spring and cam is the root of ALL the lifter failures is wrong. Clearly morel changed the design because it had issues.
Morel recommend around 350 psi as the limit for regular travel NOT 500.

These swedge fit style have a record of failing...period. Saying the failure of the pin retention is improper spring and cam is the root of ALL the lifter failures is wrong. Clearly morel changed the design because it had issues.
Morel recommend around 350 psi as the limit for regular travel NOT 500.
A major engine builder (a name that all in this community know) had indicated to me that the majority of valve train failures they had torn down & rebuilt were a result of more aggressive valve trains with no regard for a lifter upgrade. I know of fresh engine builds using the old morels. These builds are intended for 10sec cars. I guess you are telling me that I need a shovel in the trunk. Folks that have built hundreds of these engines assured me that my application is fine.

Dont want to get in a pissing contest. No way i would even flirt with disaster with these on a build. But