More Turbos?

Stock or upgrade to a TA33C. Any other turbo has to be custom with special adapters which can get expensive. IMO. Brad

The larger 86/87 turbos have to be customized to fit a hot air. Very expensive. Most people who want to do this convert to the intercooled setup.

The TA33c turbo is a stock turbo housing machined out with a TA49 compressor housing installed. CFM goes from around 380(stock) to 700. You pick up around 30 to 40 HP. Postons used to stock them. The best way is to have either Limited Engineering or Precision Engineering build you one. Both are vendors on this site. They will need a core which is your stock turbo or buy a core. I have core for sale. The cost is around $900. This is a bolt on setup. Good luck. Brad

I bought a used TA49 and cut the stock O-ringed adapter and welded it to the outlet of the 49. I had to clock the turbo and get a throttle body adapter from turbo6x2 but it was definitely much cheaper than a TA33 would have been. You can do this to almost any TA series turbo which are for sale pretty often on the board.

I bought a used TA49 and cut the stock O-ringed adapter and welded it to the outlet of the 49. I had to clock the turbo and get a throttle body adapter from turbo6x2 but it was definitely much cheaper than a TA33 would have been. You can do this to almost any TA series turbo which are for sale pretty often on the board.

this might have worked for you back in the day. now almost all the turbos come with a dynamic seal. you put a dynamic seal turbo on a hotair and it will be blowing so much oil through the turbo it wont even be funny. its not as easy as it use to be. you cant just welded the adapter on a TA series turbo anymore you need to have a carbon seal and backing plate.

this might have worked for you back in the day. now almost all the turbos come with a dynamic seal. you put a dynamic seal turbo on a hotair and it will be blowing so much oil through the turbo it wont even be funny. its not as easy as it use to be. you cant just welded the adapter on a TA series turbo anymore you need to have a carbon seal and backing plate.

Thank Brent. I hate to see people throwing money at the wall. My response stands. Take care. Brad

This appears to be true, i have no idea whether this 49 im running is a carbon or not, its a 4 year old Precision unit. Maybe I got lucky. You can still get a carbon seal from Garrett T3, T4, T3/T4 Kits. If you are willing to do the work on a rebuild there are other options ;)

Check ebay sometimes you can find a low miles core or Buick turbo to work with. Check it out, im starting to see more HA parts on there. Good luck

Another thing, as for the compressor side, IF you found a turbo with .60 size or the 86/87 model. Couldnt someone just take that comp side off and use a HA compressor side?? Lets say someone with a HA gets a IC turbo. COuldnt they just swap out compressor housings and thats that?? like if someone found a Turbonetics T3 with AR.60 ex.63 couldnt we just swap out exhaust and compressor housings??

its actually alot eaiser than were all making it seem, You all need to talk to CharlieF1......... He has pretty much gotten the swapping part of the T3 assembly down.

But here is what I can offer. things can be swapped around quite easily if you keep parts together.

An 86/87 compressor housing can be swapped onto the 84/85 cartridge as there all T3's the catch is again the backing plate and the seal. As long as it it T3 based any wheel/compressor/turbine/cartridge can be built. The key is that it is balanced after you mix and match. A place called GpopShop, does my balancing for 55$ and turn around is resonable. Great people to work with.

Now, you can get a carbon seal for the 86/87 backing plate... it only requires a 3 tang carbon retrofit seal... most rebuild kits offer the option. Again, Charlie set me on the way for this.

I myself will be using a converted 86/87 turbo for my carb turbo system as it offers the better turbine wheel - allowing for much much faster spool compared to the 79-83 and 83/84 turbos.

A.j.