More ESP drain line problems - twisted like a pretzel

BlackMetal

Starting to regret this purchase. Had to practically kill myself to get this thing threaded into the block with the waterpump and heater lines in the way. Got the threads to catch the other night and I thought the hard part was over with.

Now that I have it bolted to the turbo this thing is kinked like a cheap garden hose. How is this thing supposed to flow oil? About 2 inches back from the drain flange on the turbo is the stem of the 02 sensor, KINK. Then when it has to make a 90 degree turn to fit between the water pump and the block, KINK. :eek: :mad:

Not gunna blow the oil seals on my new turbo because of a backed-up drain line. How the heck do you get this thing to clear? Are most of you running it all bent out of shape and hoping it's still flowing enough oil through it? The entire block was coated in oil gunk when I took off the stock drain line so I don't really want to put that one back on if it was leaking.

I really can't picture any better way to route this thing...

Any tips or pictures of how you have it routed would be nice, been wanting to start my car all week but STUPID issues keep holding me back.

Maybe it would clear the 02 sensor if the damn line threaded into the flange more than 4 threads. Any further than that it gets impossible to turn and feels like I'd crack that cheap aluminum flange in half.

DSC02093.jpg

Should I trust it like that or do I need to go to Summit and order a bunch of fittings and adapters to make my own line... and set my car back another week.

Let me know your opinions before I put everything else back together and then find out I need to take it all back apart. Not sure how much oil is trying to squeeze out of the drain line at once. Feed line is only like 1/4" so I can't imagine it would be very much. Maybe the oil would still make it through those kinks.

Mine clears fine.....I'm working in that general area (oil pressure sender) so I may be able to get a decent pic. I'll get back to ya'.....

Thanks for your input, picture would be helpful if possible. The headers and everything else are stock, the only new thing in there is the turbo, so I dunno why I'd have less room for the line than anyone else.

Can you loosen the bolts holding both covers to the center section of the turbo and clock the center section up or down so the line misses the 02 sensor?

That looks exactly like the drain line I got from G Body parts & I don't have that problem either, but I am running KB headers.

Can you loosen the bolts holding both covers to the center section of the turbo and clock the center section up or down so the line misses the 02 sensor?

Yeah... does seem like that might help. At least for the bend by the 02 sensor. The kink back at the engine block is even worse, not sure what to do about that one. Maybe if the drain flange was clocked more towards the front of the car, the line would have to reach farther and both bends would spread themselves out.

Even still this seems like a really careless product, a 2 year old could see where 45deg fittings would come in handy rather than asking a stiff braided line to zig zag around.

That looks exactly like the drain line I got from G Body parts & I don't have that problem either, but I am running KB headers.

It is the exct same style line you got from GBodyparts.

We were working on a billet aluminum Flange & black flex line. It would be approximately 2" longer & would have to be shorten to fit. Easy to do.
Any interest? I didn't bother due to the way these units sold. I figured braided would be better.

Well I was toying with the idea of rotating the center section of the turbo, but I went out and compared it to my stock one and it's set dead on, I figured Precision knows how to slap together a Buick turbo properly by now. Not gunna start messing with my new turbo just to accommodate this garbage drain line, so forget that plan.

I have -10 hose left over from my oil cooler lines, I'll get fittings from Summit and make a line the way it should have been done. :rolleyes:

Sorry ESP, from the start, you didn't even ship my order until I emailed and asked where it was, then it was delayed because you printed the wrong address on it, and now I can't even get this thing to fit. Remind me not to shop there anymore. :rolleyes:

Missed three or four deadlines already for having my car up and running, guess I'll do it again. Looks like there will be a braided drain line in the For Sale forum sometime soon.

Here are a few pics of my install. It fit great with no kink issues. It was a tad of a PITA to get it started on the engine side but once that was snug I just tightened it until the flange for the turbo lined up. Really, I' don't see an issues with the braided drain line.....swivel ends would be a nice addition but I'm sure that would boost the price as well.

Sorry, I am on the run to work but here are few pics.....hopefully they give you an idea of how my line is "threaded".

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

That don't look right

That just doesn't look right with all the flat spots and kinks. Unless you can straighten it out I'd take it off and put a new stocker drain line back on.

That whole setup is such a PIA compared to the stocker and I had issues with my ESP line and eventually sold the replacement one they sent me back.

If nothing evolves from this my CNC buddy is looking to get into the car market and I'm not spending $100 for the stocker every time it cracks anymore.

Strange that it fits fine for some people. I was back out in the garage and tried to adjust it and there is just no way that it won't kink up. Appreciate the pictures though.

I installed one of these ESP drain lines on my car today and it came out OK. One of the bends is a little flat, but not too bad. I hope it works... what a PITA to install. And the original factory line was a worn out leaky pig!

It's hiding down there....
espdrain2.jpg

The bend near the turbo is flattened out just a little. The bend near the block is fine. Threads are sealed with Loctite 545 non-fouling hydraulic thread sealant. If I were able to get more thread engagement on the turbo end, the flattening of the hose would've been lessened. But it was tight already. The ends will swivel in the hose if you ask them too...

I had one in my 87 and put another one in my 86 first time PITA second time was easy as went through fighting stage, took off 86 to upgrade turbo to Te-45a and went back on pretty easy used little tefflon tape lined up holes and worked out ok like the fact no more oil leaks.